PDA

View Full Version : cambo 8x10 to 5x7 reducing back

cowanw
24-Mar-2009, 10:16
Is there such a thing as a Cambo 8x10 to 5x7 reducing back? I have been looking for some time and have not seen even a mention of such a thing not do I see it in any Cambo literature.
Regards
Bill

Harold_4074
24-Mar-2009, 18:08
Yes, there is (I have one!) but they seem to be quite rare, at least in the U.S. My guess is that Calumet never imported them here, because they don't appear in any of the old catalogs in my collection. The one that I have came from Canada; perhaps someone in Europe could tell you how common they are over there.

Regarding the literature: as of a few years ago, there were enough components to make a complete 5x7 camera (bellows, rear standard, 5x7 back) using the Legend-type rail and front standard. This may not be true for the square-rail cameras (NX, etc.) however, and may not be true today (are Legends even still in production?).

cowanw
24-Mar-2009, 18:30
That's hopefull. I will just have to keep my eyes open.
The Cambo web site has the Legend and Ultima, but no 5x7 or even 8x10 on their site.
Thanks
Bill

Salty
24-Mar-2009, 18:36
Have one also, bought years ago from seller in Canada

cowanw
25-Mar-2009, 09:03
Wonder why they all come from Canada?
And how am I going to get one to come back to Canada?
Regards
Bill

Simon Benton
25-Mar-2009, 10:41
Just tell them that Jack Layton and Elizabeth May have seen the light and joined the Conservative Party.

Allen in Montreal
25-Mar-2009, 15:14
Because we love the 5x7 format up here? :)

I have been looking for one for a year now and the closest I came was a 5x8 on the Evil a few weeks back.

Wonder why they all come from Canada?
And how am I going to get one to come back to Canada?
Regards
Bill

Harold_4074
25-Mar-2009, 16:18
Well, it turns out that Calumet currently lists a "Cambo SC3 spring back" for 5x7, under their part number CB0301, referencing the manufacturer's number 9902001.

Since Calumet owns Cambo (or did, at one time) it shouldn't be surprising that there are a lot of accessories in the Calumet catalog that are not on the Cambo website.

So the good news is that the Legend 8x10 to 4x5 adapter plate, which has the standard lensboard/back mounting that is about 8" square and is not particularly rare, should take a currently-available Cambo 5x7 spring back. The bad news is that the spring back lists for $549.....

(There is nothing much to the 8x10 plate that a competent machinist couldn't turn out in order to permanently attach an SC3 back to to a flat plate with the appropriate edge notches.)