PDA

View Full Version : Jobo film washing hose (and reel loading)

walter23
23-Mar-2009, 16:11
Just tried out a JOBO 4x5 reel and tank I bought here on the buy & sell.

First, I learned why JOBO makes a loader base. Pain in the butt to load. Do any other jobo reel users generally use the base, or do you just learn to load it quickly without?

Second: how does the film wash hose work? Do you just jam it down into the center hole of the tank, and attach it to your water?

Paul Bujak
23-Mar-2009, 17:04
Loading the reel with the base is still a pain... well, maybe only an ache. But it will definitely allow you to save up all that frustration so you can use it in trying to get those wing plate doo-hickeys attached to the reel. Gotta get me one of those night-vision gadgets!

I think you've got the handle on the washer hose. I used to use a length of half-inch garden hose in the center hole before I went high tech with the Jobo.

konakoa
23-Mar-2009, 21:00
As I was the one who sold it to you, maybe I can help. :) The easiest way to load the reel for me was to have it on its side - then the slots were facing up, towards me. I'd feel around the outside edge until I found the first set of slots on both sides with one hand, and gently insert the sheet of film with the other. The film will lock into place. Then I'd repeat the process for the second and third slots. Flip the reel around, and load the other half the same way.

You'll notice the hose has a set of red rings around the clear edge. What you do is wedge the hose into the tank, then turn on the water. Fit the hose in tightly, as it can blast loose. The hole in the side draws in air. Cover the hole with your finger, and adjust the water pressure until the water level is in the middle of the two rings. Let go of the hole and you'll have the right air/water mix (according to Jobo).

sienarot
23-Mar-2009, 22:48
I find loading the 2509/2509n reels pretty easy, actually.

With your non-loading hand, pinky on one side of the reel, index on the other side. Rotate the reel until you feel the slots on your pinky/index tips. Then use those fingers to guide the film in. Loading these reels takes me about the same time as loading 35mm/120 on stainless steel reels. Loading the 2502 takes me a bit of time though, as I'm not used to walking the film in while unrolling the film (though it's not too difficult).

walter23
24-Mar-2009, 15:06
Thanks for the tips! (and everyone else as well). The hose usage instructions are especially useful; I was wondering what the red lines were all about.

I did eventually get it loaded (took a long time though, but then my first attempts loading 120 reels also took a long time and eventually I got much better at it). Development was perfect incidentally, and not only is it much more convenient than my old method to do 6 sheets at once, it also uses less chemistry! (~300ml for 6 sheets vs. the 450ml I would have used with three batches of 2 sheets in my unicolor drum).

Installing the retainer wing things was actually the easiest part. The little downward-bent tabs at each end fit over pegs (which are roughly where your film sheets end) so it's easy to feel around in the dark and just snap them into place. Glad I looked over everything very carefully before turning out the lights and pulling out the film though because that would have been almost impossible if I hadn't made a note of those little pegs (feeling and properly placing the nub that locks over the wing itself is pretty difficult, so you pretty much have to use the side pegs as your reference instead).

As I was the one who sold it to you, maybe I can help. :) The easiest way to load the reel for me was to have it on its side - then the slots were facing up, towards me. I'd feel around the outside edge until I found the first set of slots on both sides with one hand, and gently insert the sheet of film with the other. The film will lock into place. Then I'd repeat the process for the second and third slots. Flip the reel around, and load the other half the same way.

You'll notice the hose has a set of red rings around the clear edge. What you do is wedge the hose into the tank, then turn on the water. Fit the hose in tightly, as it can blast loose. The hole in the side draws in air. Cover the hole with your finger, and adjust the water pressure until the water level is in the middle of the two rings. Let go of the hole and you'll have the right air/water mix (according to Jobo).