PDA

View Full Version : Developer for ADOX CHS 25, 50 or 100??

pergorm
23-Mar-2009, 10:44
Hello guys!

I did a search of the archives, but did not find anything, so i have to ask you guys for advice.
I have recently bought a box of ADOX CHS 25, 50 and 100. I plan on trying all three films in the near future to find out wich one i like best. However i need some advice on finding the right developer....
Any of you using these films???, and if yes, what developer do you use???.

Regards
Per jorgensen

Juergen Sattler
23-Mar-2009, 10:51
This is too funny! I just walked in the door - coming back from shooting a roll of Adox CHS 50. The only developer I currently have at home is Diafine and that's where the Adox will go into - I shot the 35mm roll at ISO100, knowing that Diafine typically (not always) increases the speed in films. I'll let you know how the film came out. I know this is not the ideal developer for this film, but I figured I might as well give it a try.

dwhistance
23-Mar-2009, 10:54
I have used Prescysol EF with semi stand development with all three films. I'm very happy with the results from all three.

David Whistance

Gene McCluney
23-Mar-2009, 11:15
A lot of people develop the Adox/Efke films in Pyro based developers, as they harden the emulsion as they are developed, and the Adox/Efke films are rather soft. Plus, there are the range-compression attributes of the Pyro type developers which many people like.

pergorm
23-Mar-2009, 13:41
Hello

Thanks for your advice. I think i have some d-76 left over, and i will probably try it first. Gene, you are right about the soft emulsion. I did not know that Pyro-developers hardened the emulsion. Mabye i should try that out....

Thanks
Per

Daniel_Buck
23-Mar-2009, 13:42
I have been using Rodinal 1:50 for 6 minutes for the Ortho 25 4x5, seems to be working great! I've got a box of CHS 25 that I'm going to open shortly, I'm going to try the same time/developer combo, I imagine it'll be pretty close?

Toyon
23-Mar-2009, 15:22
Toxic pyro be damned. Rodinal is excellent with efke/adox films.

Lenny Eiger
23-Mar-2009, 16:16
Hello guys!
However i need some advice on finding the right developer....
Regards
Per jorgensen

The right developer for what? Are you silver printing, inkjet, platinum?

The best I have found are D-23, Xtol and Pyro, but you're casting too wide a net...

Lenny

pergorm
24-Mar-2009, 07:58
Hello Lenny

The right developer for traditional printing using a condensorlight system....

Per

mcfactor
24-Mar-2009, 08:05
Rodinal 1:100

gevalia
24-Mar-2009, 09:42
I have used Prescysol EF with semi stand development with all three films. I'm very happy with the results from all three.

David Whistance

I'll second David here. I really like Efke 50 in Prescysol EF.

Per Madsen
24-Mar-2009, 12:51
Rodinal 1:100

Recomended too !

soeren
24-Mar-2009, 13:06
There can be only one, Rodinal and eh yes 1:100.
Kind regards
Søren

ljsegil
24-Mar-2009, 14:11
Any thoughts on results obtained though Dr5 processing by way of comparison?
LJS

Ole Tjugen
24-Mar-2009, 15:25
Don't know - I've tried Rodinal, Neofin Blau, FX-2 and Ilfotec-HC.

Neofin is best, Ilfotc-HC a close second, just about tied with FX-2, and Rodinal is porridge by comparison. Pyrocat loses too much sensitivity compared to these, so that's out unless i need the stain - but then I would rather use some weird old two-bath thing like Pextral's since that would be for contact printing on "funny" emulsions.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion - and I'm sure those who love Rodinal will disagree..

ghost
27-Mar-2009, 06:19
Don't know - I've tried Rodinal, Neofin Blau, FX-2 and Ilfotec-HC.

Neofin is best, Ilfotc-HC a close second, just about tied with FX-2, and Rodinal is porridge by comparison. Pyrocat loses too much sensitivity compared to these, so that's out unless i need the stain - but then I would rather use some weird old two-bath thing like Pextral's since that would be for contact printing on "funny" emulsions.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion - and I'm sure those who love Rodinal will disagree..

do you mind elaborating on your statement? what was it about the neofin negs that was superior?... is this a developer with solvent action or no?

Thanks to all for the info- I have been reading this thread with interest, as I am very interested in trying out the Efke films and supporting these type of companies...

Ole Tjugen
28-Mar-2009, 05:09
With LF negatives, just about the only thing that matters is tonality - and that is a very subjective matter. But since I have also used these films in smaller sizes (6.5x9cm, even 4.5x6cm), I have also considered the grain structure.

Negatives developed in Neofin are simply easier to get a good print from - they may sometimes be difficult to get an acceptable print from, but from there to good is very easy. I find the same with Ilfotec-HC and FX-2, while Rodinal negatives never seem to give that little extra snap which is the difference between an OK print and a good one. The grain seems "mushier", and the tones aren't as smooth.

All the developers I use are non-solvent

Cristiano Abreu
28-Mar-2009, 05:59
I've just started to develop ADOX CHS 100 8x10 sheet films. So far I've used ID-11 (standard developer, I normally use for traditional films like FP4+) and just this week Rodinal. A lot of people advocates Rodinal and Pyro developers for such films, and now I'm starting to see why. Pyro staining developers will be next on my list to try. As the matter of soft emulsion, don't worry too much. Careful handling and short finger nails will save the day.