PDA

View Full Version : Photography-now.net

Eric Biggerstaff
23-Mar-2009, 08:14
Hey everyone,

Got a question for the group. I have an email on my website from www.photography-now.net asking me to show my work on the site.

I visited the site and it seems like a well done and professional group, but does anyone here have any experience with these people?

I deleted a few of these emails in the past as I figured they were spam but today I actually went and took a look at the site.

Anybody have some feedback?

Thanks,
Eric

Charles Carstensen
23-Mar-2009, 09:10
1. You have no control when you want to change images. They charge you for doing that at X$ per 20 and I cannot find how much that is. 2. If you enter into a web host agreement with them you are subject to their contract, and I cannot find that without registering. 3. You have no control over which category your photography is placed. Looks pretty much like you have very little control once your images are submitted.

Eric Biggerstaff
23-Mar-2009, 10:17
Thanks Charles,

Looks like a big NO.

ASRafferty
23-Mar-2009, 10:36
http://www.propeller.com/story/2008/10/14/beware-gallerybook-photography-nownet-a-sneaky-and-fishy-service/

Wonder if they run a competition too?

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
23-Mar-2009, 11:46
I don't understand what's so difficult about running an online gallery for photographers to exhibit their work once you have the correct programming done. Charge a photographer a small fee (<$350), for the hosting service per year, exhibit 50 or so images for the photographer and give them full control over when they want their images changed and what they want it changed to. Not so difficult one would think. The problem is getting an attractive online gallery coded.

Marko
23-Mar-2009, 13:47
The problem is getting an attractive online gallery coded.

That is the least difficult part of it. There are lots of very talented and very qualified technical people out there.

The most troublesome part is in the fact that most of those who are trying to start these things are making it to their own measure instead of accommodating their potential clients. And they invariably want it cheap.

As we used to say in my business: Speed, Quality, Affordability. Pick one. You could even get by with two, but only if you forget affordability.

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
23-Mar-2009, 22:54
That is the least difficult part of it. There are lots of very talented and very qualified technical people out there.

The most troublesome part is in the fact that most of those who are trying to start these things are making it to their own measure instead of accommodating their potential clients. And they invariably want it cheap.

As we used to say in my business: Speed, Quality, Affordability. Pick one. You could even get by with two, but only if you forget affordability.

Affordability is relative to the actual emotional value of something, I believe.

John Brady
24-Mar-2009, 04:36
I have received several solicitations for this site. At first I was intrigued because they were advertising a gallery listing service that would have been beneficial to me. That looks to have disappeared from their service. The thing I find strange is there are no mere mortals on their listing, only the masters. It doesn't look like anyone has paid for their service. Here is a list of some of their members. I wonder what Ansel had to pay to be listed?
Sturges Jock
Adams Robert
Adams Ansel
Mapplethorpe Robert
Weston Edward
Gasser Peter
Burtynsky Edward
Witkin Joel Peter
Avedon Richard
Sudek Josef
Davidson Bruce
Callahan Harry
Norfolk Simon
Bravo Manuel Alvarez
Shore Stephen
Kertész André
De Keyzer Carl
Penn Irving
Cunningham Immogen
Salgado Sebastiao
Stieglitz Alfred
Atget Eugene
Imae Yo
Gowin Emmet
Tice George
Evans Walker
Strand Paul

www.gladesgallery.com

Jim Cole
24-Mar-2009, 13:29
I just submitted a portfolio, so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I may be the first "mortal" on the list. I already have my own well functioning website, I just figured this was another nice presence that may or may not be helpful. $50 was hardly worth worrying about. I won't try to maintain this portfolio except for every year or two since the portfolio links to my web site. If I then decide to cough up another $50 for them to run an update, I'll do it if it turns out to be worth the effort.

I really am curious, though, as to who was in the group of photographers that started this site. Sure has a nice collection of photographers. I'm sure my presence will bring down the value of the whole bunch!

Jim Cole
25-Mar-2009, 06:25
Portfolio went up this morning, less than 12 hours after submission. Painless.

I am listed under Selected Contemporary Artists > More Contemporary Artists . Recent Additions if you are interested. The site's search also works.

I thought it appropriate as I have been newly struggling with trying to grasp still life photography, the recent addition right above me has a very good still life portfolio - John Manno. What fun work!

Curt Palm
25-Mar-2009, 08:52
I have received several solicitations for this site. At first I was intrigued because they were advertising a gallery listing service that would have been beneficial to me. That looks to have disappeared from their service. The thing I find strange is there are no mere mortals on their listing, only the masters. It doesn't look like anyone has paid for their service. Here is a list of some of their members. I wonder what Ansel had to pay to be listed?

I'd be interested if they paid anything to the ansel adams trust to publish the photos or any of the other masters. I didn't see any credits or ansel adams trust copyright notices in the few minutes I looked around the site.

Keith Pitman
25-Mar-2009, 09:35
I'd be interested if they paid anything to the ansel adams trust to publish the photos or any of the other masters. I didn't see any credits or ansel adams trust copyright notices in the few minutes I looked around the site.

Some of Adams' work as well as the work of FSA photographers and others was done under government contract and is thus in the public domain. That's why you see some of those cheap "bargain" books at Barnes & Noble with Adams photos.

Curt Palm
25-Mar-2009, 09:58
Some of Adams' work as well as the work of FSA photographers and others was done under government contract and is thus in the public domain. That's why you see some of those cheap "bargain" books at Barnes & Noble with Adams photos.

I have some of those books. They have most all of Adam's best known images on the site, moonrise, etc. so they are not just the public domain ones

QT Luong
25-Mar-2009, 11:18
I like the site as a resource. They have decent selections of work of noted photographers, and a good presentation. As a service, the one-time fee seems reasonable. My understanding from reading the page Amy referred to, is that after a while, your portfolio tends to get buried (this is is a problem with *any* portfolio site, once you are no longer on the "featured" or "recent" list). Watch for that, and keep us posted !