PDA

View Full Version : More powerful cable release?

samwang
23-Mar-2009, 07:29
None of my 1/2 dozen or so cable releases can trip the Ilex No. 3 Universal shutter on an old Keith 4x5 camera. None has long enough plunger it seems. Does the shutter need to be serviced or is there a cable release out there than I can get to do the job?

Thanks for any advice.
Sam

Jon Shiu
23-Mar-2009, 07:38
Hi, I believe it should be serviced. It is not too hard to do, but takes some time. If I'm remembering correctly there is a little piston-like piece that presses on an arm. This can get jammed up and just needs a little adjustment.

Jon

Glenn Thoreson
23-Mar-2009, 11:23
That shutter requires a long throw cable release. You can get one from B&H. It would be a good investment, as there are numerous shutters that require a long throw release.

Bob Salomon
23-Mar-2009, 12:43
Gepe and Linhof releases should have no problem.

Sevo
23-Mar-2009, 13:27
Which reminds me: Once upon a time I had a short/long throw converter - a tiny pulley contraption to screw between cable release and shutter. Does anybody know who made these - presumably German, fifties to seventies? Googling for used stuff usually is more successful if you know the makers name.

Sevo

C. D. Keth
23-Mar-2009, 13:30
I had the same problem with an Ilex no. 4. A gepe cable release, like Bob suggests, solved the problem.

ImSoNegative
23-Mar-2009, 14:06
I had to have one also for my 14in ektar. Got a gepe from b and h. Works great

Kevin Crisp
23-Mar-2009, 14:50
The ones Calumet sells were my solution to this problem. The short ones can't handle an Acme. Good luck.

samwang
23-Mar-2009, 16:17
Gepe and Linhof releases should have no problem.

Thanks Bob. Would all Gepe or Linhof releases have long throws?

Sam

Bob Salomon
23-Mar-2009, 16:31
Thanks Bob. Would all Gepe or Linhof releases have long throws?

Sam

Yes, so do the Kaiser cable releases.

John T
23-Mar-2009, 17:18
Bob,

Are the current Linhof releases a longer throw than ones from 20 or so years ago? My Linhof releases have a throw of 1/2" While they are my favorite releases because they have lasted for so long and work as good as new they will not fire my Alphax shutter.

I bought a 20" Gepe Pro Cable Release (even though I hate the Zeiss lock) for this shutter. It as a throw of just over 3/4" which works great.

Also, does Kaiser make the Linhof releases? They look very similar

jnantz
23-Mar-2009, 17:25
longest throw i have used
is a de groff ...
it cost a bit, but it was worth it ...

JOSEPH ANDERSON
23-Mar-2009, 22:37
I've Got Same Problem With A Wolly Alphax Self Cocking Shutter. I Dug Into
My Junk Box And Found A Very Very Old Relase With 3/4" Throw. But It's
Like A Pice Of Solid Steel, Very Little Bend In It.i Guess I'll Try The Gepe.

Joe A Ps No Name On The Old Release

Bob Salomon
24-Mar-2009, 06:21
Bob,

Are the current Linhof releases a longer throw than ones from 20 or so years ago? My Linhof releases have a throw of 1/2" While they are my favorite releases because they have lasted for so long and work as good as new they will not fire my Alphax shutter.

I bought a 20" Gepe Pro Cable Release (even though I hate the Zeiss lock) for this shutter. It as a throw of just over 3/4" which works great.

Also, does Kaiser make the Linhof releases? They look very similar

John,

We stock several different Linhof releases. The 001432 has a throw of 1.2" and the 002431 has a throw of 5/8" so it varies from model to model.

Kaiser and Linhof releases are not related except for one model that is sold by Gepe, Linhof and Kaiser. Linhof calls that one the Linhof Profi Cable Release. Gepe calls it the Profi Cable Release and Kaiser calls it the Professional Cable Release. These are the same and the Gepe version is the lowest price.

Gepe makes two 20" cable release with a T lock, one with no lock and nine with Zeiss lock. You don't have to use a Gepe 20" release with a Zeiss lock. That is one reason why we offer so many different types of releases in the Gepe line. Although the PVC ones are only Zeiss lock.