PDA

View Full Version : Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

John Schneider
23-Mar-2009, 00:56
Is there such a thing, or does anyone know of something close that I could adapt? I'm adding a nice padded interior to hold my camera/lenses/etc. in an Osprey pack, but the tripod needs to go outside. I routinely scramble between/over rocks, so I'd like a padded bag or sleeve that I could attach vertically to the outside of the pack, and then slide the tripod and head down the bag. I use a Linhof Large Leveling Head (003659) mounted on a Gitzo 11xx carbon tripod. Thanks.

Archphoto
23-Mar-2009, 04:17
I have seen them from Manfrotto, but they are too expensive for me.
I have the LowePro Computrekker that has a provision for a tripod , will never use that feature though.

Peter

Walter Calahan
23-Mar-2009, 04:35
B&H Photo sells many tripod bags, padded and unpadded. Why not take a look, and then shop around locally or elsewhere on the web to find the best price?

venchka
23-Mar-2009, 05:22
Store bought tripod bags are going to be heavy. I use two nylon bags left over from a pair of folding nylon chairs. I haven't bothered with padding, but I would think that some bubble wrap would work.

I use an ancient Osprey pack as well. Good gear.

Jim Rhoades
23-Mar-2009, 08:00
Years ago I became fed up with high price filter pockets that leach plastic chemicals on to good glass filters. I started to make my own filter holders with canvas outside, flannel inside with light foam air conditioner filter in between. Works better than anything on the market. They may not look as good as a Domke but they work a lot better.

You have a need, try making a lightweight tripod bag yourself. It can be designed just for your model backpack and your size tripod and head.

Keith S. Walklet
23-Mar-2009, 08:21
The original LowePro Super Trecker featured a removable tripod tube with a built-in shoulder strap. Later versions eschewed the tube for a bungie cord lashing system.

I can understand why they moved away from the tube. In an effort to save weight on long backpacks, I usually removed the tube and lashed the tripod to the pack with the straps that normally held the tube in place. A lens bag over the tripod head can minimize damage from inadvertent scrapes.

The tube was useful for air travel.

Aahx
23-Mar-2009, 09:41
I use straps from my pack to attack my tripod with head up. And then just use a small bag over the head to protect it from dust/moisture exposure. I would think a bag/sleeve would collect debree/mosture at the bottom. It might also be a bit more cumbersome for access when you need to set up your camera quickly (light fading, etc... ).

drew.saunders
23-Mar-2009, 10:16
How much padding? I made a tripod bag a few years ago out of the leg of an old pair of jeans. I sewed up the ankle end and made a drawstring for the top. I think that should protect your tripod well enough from most desert abuse.

timparkin
23-Mar-2009, 16:44
Is there such a thing, or does anyone know of something close that I could adapt? I'm adding a nice padded interior to hold my camera/lenses/etc. in an Osprey pack, but the tripod needs to go outside. I routinely scramble between/over rocks, so I'd like a padded bag or sleeve that I could attach vertically to the outside of the pack, and then slide the tripod and head down the bag. I use a Linhof Large Leveling Head (003659) mounted on a Gitzo 11xx carbon tripod. Thanks.

I have used bike handlebar tape to wrap the legs of my G3540XLS and cover my BH55 head with a neoprene padded bag. The only exposed bits are the leg angle locks and the spider, both of which are rugged enough to take a fair bashing. If you are worried about the spider+locks, you could always make a head cover that fitted over the spider too - it would look like the top of a condom - a tripod prophylactic of sorts.. :-)

Tim

mrladewig
23-Mar-2009, 20:10
I made a system for my day pack with some nylon, climbing accessory rope and some velcro. I'm very happy with it and weighs next to nothing. The tripod isn't covered, but it hasn't been damaged in the couple of years I've been using this system either.

The tripod holster is basically a panel of nylon shaped to match up with the compression straps of the pack. There is a pocket roughly 4" deep at the bottom for the feet of the tripod and some velcro straps to wrap around the legs higher up. The rope segments are looped back on themselves to fit around the compression straps and sewn into the panel.

I don't have a detailed image, but it is the light blue bit holding the tripod in this image. link (http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=939&g2_serialNumber=1)

With my backpacking pack, the tripod just gets lashed to the side.

On the plus side, the legs on the Velbon CF tripods are all covered in foam, so there is little to worry about.

ljsegil
27-Mar-2009, 03:41
Feisol makes a nice, though unpadded, bag, supplied with a new tripod, that will easily fit its branded tripod with at least a moderately sized head attached and not add significant bulk or weight to the naked tripod/head. Would offer good scratch/snag (though the bag handle might be flapping in the breeze) protection, but probably not do much to prevent the big ding. Don't know if they are available without a tripod thrown in, but Kerry at Really Big Cameras could answer that one.
LJS

venchka
27-Mar-2009, 08:35

Show us a photo of your Osprey pack. My Osprey has a daisy chain webbing down the center on the backside-side away from my back. Short straps around the tripod and through the webbing loops hold the tripod very securly. With the tripod centered and behind me, I will take a beating before the tripod does. Padded bag not required. IMHO. YMMV.

Eric James
27-Mar-2009, 09:32
For a while I used a sleeping pad stuff sack lined with a piece of ensolite - it fit a G1228 and Acra Tech head nicely. Lately I haven't found the need to pad the pod.

ki6mf
27-Mar-2009, 14:55
if you will buy the bag check out calumets padded tripod bags. They come in 3 or 4 lengths and seem reasonably priced compared to Bogen/Manfroto and others

jeroldharter
27-Mar-2009, 17:45
I think a padded case would be a bit heavy for backpacking or general carrying. If you are just walking around town, the baby stroller option is good.

If you just want a protective cover, you might adapt one of the carry bags that folding camping chairs come with and put a padded wrap around the tripod head.

Dave Jeffery
31-Mar-2009, 18:58
I also use a folding chair bag. It's light, cheap (free chair included), hides the fact that an expensive tripod is inside, and it protects the legs from scratches without the need for padding.

I sewed a nicely padded and adjustable strap from a duffle bag onto the chair bag with a little reinforcing at the bag. The bag is slung over my shoulder and hangs nicely beside me and is quick and easy to remove.

On long hikes the strap tends to chaffe my neck so I made a small strap with quick disconnects about 5" long that cinches the bag strap and the backpack shoulder strap together and away from my neck. When the short strap gets removed it gets clipped around the bag strap where it is easy to find.The Eddie Bauer bags look a little stronger than the one I have.

As I do long hikes keeping the weight to a minimum was a priority.

HeinrichVoelkel
9-Apr-2009, 14:18
that's what you're looking for:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html