PDA

View Full Version : APO Ronars

photosailor
22-Mar-2009, 18:40
I've got a couple Rodenstock APO Ronars that were thrown in when I bought an 8x10 Tachihara recently. These were Process Lenses with no shutters; nice condition but really heavy. I've got a 420mm and a 600mm (which I'm guessing weighs 5 pounds!). There is no way that my front standard would support one of these monsters.

So, my questions: is there any use for these lenses? Should I just put them on eBay? What kind of value do they have?

I've had a 4x5 Cambo for a couple years; this 8x10 is photography at another level! I'm enjoying wasting all my spare time reading the threads on the forum.

Don Dudenbostel
22-Mar-2009, 18:50
calumet had a 600mm for $179 that I purchased but am returning tomorrow. The front two elements were loose. Are you interested in selling the 600? Is it coated and have a mounting flange? Glass condition? PM if selling.

Stefan Findel
22-Mar-2009, 18:56
I only have a 240 and a 300 Apo Ronar (in shutters). I love them! If yours are in good condition, I would not sell them for now, especially since they 'were thrown in' !!! One day you may really appreciate them!
(Sorry, Don)

Don Dudenbostel
22-Mar-2009, 19:00
I only have a 240 and a 300 Apo Ronar (in shutters). I love them! If yours are in good condition, I would not sell them for now, especially since they 'were thrown in' !!! One day you may really appreciate them!
(Sorry, Don)

hard to appreciate a lens his camera won't support unless you like paper weights.

Oren Grad
22-Mar-2009, 19:18
So, my questions: is there any use for these lenses? Should I just put them on eBay? What kind of value do they have?

There certainly is a use for these lenses - there are plenty of people who have cameras robust enough to carry that weight. As for their value, best to follow the completed auctions on eBay for those items for a while and see what the range is.

photosailor
22-Mar-2009, 19:36
Oren,
Thanks, I have been looking but eBay isn't what it used to be. Most everything is a "Buy it Now" price and I don't see that they ever get purchased. The average of three recently sold Ronars of various focal lengths is $375. I would like to sell at that price, but I wouldn't want to buy at that price!

Oren Grad
22-Mar-2009, 20:33
I just took a peek at the recent completeds - looks like the ones in shutter are bringing good prices, but the ones in barrel aren't especially. Among the longer FLs in barrel, there are a couple of 480s, a 485 and a 600 that have closed recently, none for as much as $200. But that should give you a rough idea.

Doug Herta
24-Mar-2009, 21:06
Photosailor - I am looking for a long process lens to put on my soon-to-be built Frankenstein's monster of an 8X10. My APO Nikkor 480 mm process lens is fun, but the 600 mm would be nice to try after I build an extension on the 8X10. I am in Seattle as well and would be interested in checking out what you have.

wfwhitaker
25-Mar-2009, 05:23
...looks like the ones in shutter are bringing good prices, but the ones in barrel aren't especially. ...

A nice 480mm Apo-Ronar in a shutter sold a couple of months ago on Ebay for right at $1000. I have a 480 in a barrel that I've had for sale here and on Ebay several times and I can't give it away. Almost worth having mine mounted in a shutter! But Murphy has a way of messing with my life and that price was likely a fluke. Ebay auctions are a complete crap shoot, which would explain the number of Buy-It-Now-only items for sale. Your Apo-Ronars probably aren't worth much in terms of cash value right now. Since they don't represent a direct investment, they may be worth putting on the shelf until you see which way your photographic interests evolve.

Steve Hamley
25-Mar-2009, 07:03
I'm interested in a 420mm. What's the glass condition?

Cheers,

Steve

wfwhitaker
25-Mar-2009, 07:41
On the other hand...

lungovw
25-Mar-2009, 18:43
I just developed a 9x12 portrait made with an Apo-Ronar 360 mm at f16. It is an absolutely merciless lens for this application. That is the one Jan van Eyck would use, would he have been born in our times. It is still wet, but I will post it here this week end. Rgds WL

lungovw
28-Mar-2009, 11:48
Here it is: Apo-Ronar 360 mm at f16. 9x12 cm