PDA

View Full Version : v700 vs microteck m1

Mike645
22-Mar-2009, 08:16
I am thinking to buy one of these two models.
I have 100s, of 2 1/4 format negatives in vps color film and also B&W negs
I know "that you get for what you pay for".
But with a budget under $600, are any one of these 2 models any better for this task?
Is there another negative film scanner that some one can recommend?

Gem Singer
22-Mar-2009, 09:34
Assuming that you want to purchase a new scanner, the Epson v700 will fit your budget and does fine job of scanning color and B&W negatives.

Microtek discontinued making scanners. A new M1 is difficult to find, unless a dealer has a left-over one in stock. However, you might be able to find a good used M1 at a reduced price.

Either of these scanners are up to the task you described.

jotloob
22-Mar-2009, 10:45
Microtek discontinued making scanners. A new M1 is difficult to find, unless a dealer has a left-over one in stock. However, you might be able to find a good used M1 at a reduced price .

Gem

When did MIKROTEK discontinue making scanners ? ? ?
I bought an ARTIXSCAN F1 last year . I am very satisfied with it using SILVERFAST Ai .
Who will give the service ? ? ?

Jürgen

Gene McCluney
22-Mar-2009, 11:02
I don't think Microtek stopped making scanners, but they DID stop marketing them in the USA. The discontinuance of Microtek scanners in the USA has been less than a year. Many people who post on this forum are not in the USA and some information is not correct for them.

Gene McCluney
22-Mar-2009, 11:05
The only "under $1000" scanner available in the USA that can handle medium-format film (and larger) would be one of the flatbed models from Epson. Other than that it is a big jump in price-AND QUALITY-to a Nikon dedicated film scanner.

Ben Syverson
22-Mar-2009, 11:23
If the goal is to "archive" everything digitally, make sure you can associate the filenames to the negatives (via a spreadsheet/database and simple numbering system), and keep those negatives!

The Epson will give you a great "reference" scan for negative identification and small prints, but don't rely on it (or any scanner) to replace the negs!

Gem Singer
22-Mar-2009, 11:32
I realize that Microtek has discontinued marketing scanners in the USA. To me, that's the equivalent of saying that they have stopped making them. However, Microtek claims that they will continue to service their existing scanners in the USA. Haven't needed to tested that claim, as yet.

I purchased one of the first M1's from Jim, at Midwest. Waited a few months until it become available. That scanner broke down after approx. 30 scans. It took several Emails to convince Microtek that the scanner was defective. The problem was not caused by operator error. They eventually replaced the defective M1 with a brand new scanner. It is still working fine after more than a year.

Previously, I had an Epson 4990. I personally prefer the Microtek over the Epson. However, I have no actual experience with the Epson v700. It is said to be an improvement over the 4990.

Colin Graham
22-Mar-2009, 11:49
Microtek discontinued making scanners.

I realize that Microtek has discontinued marketing scanners in the USA. To me, that's the equivalent of saying that they have stopped making them.

Epson v700 will fit your budget and does fine job of scanning color and B&W negative.

However, I have no actual experience with the Epson v700.

The 'Cliffs Notes' version. ;)

Gem Singer
22-Mar-2009, 12:26
Colin,

I have no idea what you mean by "cliff notes ".

I shared my experience with the M1 and admitted that I was not familiar with the v700, only with the 4990.

Since the OP seemed to understand the American language, I assumed that he was a resident of the USA. I suppose i should have inquired as to what part of the world he lives in.

I have amassed 63 years of photographic experience during my 79 years of existence and, unlike others I have met, glad to share with others.

I type slowly and painfully, and the words don't always come as I intended them.

I hope your remark was not meant to be critical or sarcastic.

Ben Syverson
22-Mar-2009, 12:31
Honestly, I wouldn't spend too many brain cycles deciding/fighting between two low-quality flatbed scanners. Neither is going to give you impressive results with 120.

Choose whatever is cheapest/easiest, and just know that you'll have to drum scan or use a photochemical darkroom if you want big enlargements. But it sounds like Mike just wants to digitize the negatives so they're in digital form, not make a bunch of giant prints.

Lachlan 717
22-Mar-2009, 12:52
I realize that Microtek has discontinued marketing scanners in the USA. To me, that's the equivalent of saying that they have stopped making them.

The other 5.7 BILLION people on this planet might disagree with you on this one.

drew.saunders
22-Mar-2009, 13:03
I have an M1 and used an Epson 3200 before it. As many have said, for 120, neither flatbed is ideal, the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 is, but it's more than 3x your budget.

Since you have 100's of negatives to scan, I'd suggest the Epson simply for speed of operation. The Microtek has an auto-focus feature that, when working, is great (sometimes I have to re-scan to get it to auto focus on the right part of the negative, or the negative droops in the glassless holder, etc. or I just give up and use the glass holder and fight Mr. Newton's rings), but the auto-focus adds significant time to your scans.

You can get this holder: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html for the V700 that will let you fine-tune the focus.

If you prefer Vuescan, then get the V700, as Ed H. doesn't seem to think there's enough interest in the M1 to include drivers for it (I already asked).

I do like the M1 when it's working perfectly, but have just spent the past two days fighting with its autofocus, so I'm a little less than thrilled with it right now.

drew.saunders
22-Mar-2009, 13:22
I am thinking to buy one of these two models.
I have 100s, of 2 1/4 format negatives in vps color film and also B&W negs
I know "that you get for what you pay for".
But with a budget under $600, are any one of these 2 models any better for this task?
Is there another negative film scanner that some one can recommend?

How many hundreds? Calypso's bulk scanning is $3.33/frame for 501 to 2000 scans, and $4.55/frame for 100-501 scans:

http://www.calypsoinc.com/calypso/bulkscan.php

Yes, that'll be more than $600, but you won't have to learn how to use a scanner and then sell it, assuming this is a one-time task and that you won't be shooting and scanning film in the future. The results will certainly be better for 120 film than either the M1 or V700. Also, they'll be more consistent: since you'll be learning your new scanner as you go, presumably your first few dozen scans won't be so good, and you might have to re-do them.

Ben Syverson
22-Mar-2009, 13:45
Drew's onto something there... I know a few people who have bought scanners intending to digitize their old photo libraries. Some are still scanning 10 years later. Others gave up pretty quickly.

If you actually want it done some time in the next century, farm it out. Once you have everything digitized, you can go back and see if you want to re-scan any special images.

Gem Singer
22-Mar-2009, 13:46
Drew,

Ed H. recently announced a version of Vuescan that will work with the M1.

I was considering purchasing it, but decided to continue using the Silverfast SE software that came with my M1.

For the most part, I scan 5X7 and 8X10 B&W negatives corner-taped on the glass holder. I've been scanning emulsion side down and reversing and inverting the image in Photoshop. Seems to work okay for those larger negatives.

I agree, it is a struggle to mount 120 B&W negatives in the glassless film holder. However, when mounted successfully, they seem to scan as well as the larger negatives.

Gem Singer
22-Mar-2009, 13:57
Lachian 617,

You misinterpreted what I was attempting to say. There is no need to take my statement as an insult to people who do not live in the USA.

My family originally migrated from Europe and I am aware of the greatest population lives outside of this country.

Paul H
22-Mar-2009, 20:19
I suppose it depends on where you are, and what is most readily available.

From the tests I've seen, there is little to choose between the two with regards to image quality.

The Epson is a reliable unit, capable of good results (for its price), let down by rather flimsy film holders. The film holders are serviceable though, and you can keep the film flatter by getting some anti-reflective glass cut that you can lay over the negative in place of the plastic clip frame. If you want something more substantial, go for the better scanning film holders.

While a Nikon 8000 or 9000 is well over your budget, you could keep an eye out for a second hand Microtek 120 film scanner (or the Polaroid equivalent). I have seen them sell here in NZ for under your budget.

If you do go for the Epson, spend a little time learning how to get the best out of it first. Get the film holder height set correctly (it varies depending on scanner).

drew.saunders
23-Mar-2009, 09:56
Drew,

Ed H. recently announced a version of Vuescan that will work with the M1.

That's good to know. I asked about a year ago, I should have specified in my earlier reply.

For the most part, I scan 5X7 and 8X10 B&W negatives corner-taped on the glass holder. I've been scanning emulsion side down and reversing and inverting the image in Photoshop. Seems to work okay for those larger negatives.

I really want to use the glassless holder as much as I can for 4x5, there's so much less dust. I tried taping the negative to the glass holding, emulsion up, and got Newton Rings. I also tried using a 5x7" piece of AN glass to hold the negative down, which worked better. There were rings between the layers of glass, but none on the negative, so I may try that again a few times to see if it really prevents newton rings. There's just so much more dust to fight, but I may just have to use the glass holder and piece of AN glass "sandwich" from now on. At least, unlike a regular flatbed, I can clean both sides of the glass on the holder easily enough.

Mike645
24-Mar-2009, 04:59
I do thank all of you for the advices. Yes It is correct. The primary objective is decide which negative is the right one. I always bracket my pictures, so I could use the help there.
Yes I am planning to archive them. I write database programs, so that is easy.
It is correct, to get the best of a negative film would be chemical process.
I do have an color enlarger enlarger. After the scanning I was planning in dusting it off.
It seems that I will pick the v700; Now is the task where to find it for the best price.
I am glad I joined this group.

venchka
24-Mar-2009, 10:03
I don't know where you are, but the Epson USA web store has refurbished units all the time. I got a 10% discount coupon yesterday. They had V700 and V750 units available.

I wouldn't turn down a good price on a nice clean Epson 4990 either.

No matter which Epson you buy, the Betterscanning holders will improve your scans.

Mike645
25-Mar-2009, 04:42
So how long takes a single 2 1/4 format neg to be scanned in v700 for bet quality?

venchka
25-Mar-2009, 06:14
I never scan just one negative. I use Epson scan and batch scan my 6x7 negatives. I do something else while the scanner is scanning. 5 minutes/file? 10 minutes/file?

Did you read this?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26980

Mike645
26-Mar-2009, 12:52
I just read it. It is interesting.
I am trying to judge whether is better to farm out the scanning or have them scanned myself.
Here are the points. Yes I have hundreds of negs, but many are repeats. so to pay for those dups is a waste. Also I can not afford a 5k or more scanner.
Perhaps I am just like many photographers, After opening the just developed set of pictures, we trash must of them. We look for that special one.
I hope to select out of those hundres, few that I can enlarge. some will be good for memories, but I am looking for those "FEW".
Probably I will dust off my Bessler and try it. Or sent out for chemical print.
SO a $600 investment may be good enough to screen negs. At the end, I still have an scanner for other uses.
Thanks.

Ben Syverson
26-Mar-2009, 22:53
For 120, no flatbed scanner will be very good, unless you're printing under 13x19.