PDA

View Full Version : Hey, that was hard.

dazedgonebye
20-Mar-2009, 17:50
I took the afternoon off today for my first landscape shoot with LF. I walked about 1.5 miles back in to the desert to a spot I know and shot 12 films. It's only about 89 degrees today, so I figured I better get out there before Summer hits.
Well, I'm not sure how much all that weighs, but it felt like I was carrying something around 30lbs.
Super graphic plus 3 lenses, tripod, 6 film holders, spot meter, water... It didn't help that I'm not quite over a case of bronchitis (never said I was smart).
In any case, I liked the shooting experience, but the sherpa experience was a bit hard. It was a reminder that the last 2 years and 10 lbs have not set well on me.
Obviously, I've got to spend more time on the treadmill.

To top things off, I lost my smart phone out there. I have a general idea of where, but I just could not find it. It's in a case, so there's a chance I can go out and find it tomorrow by calling my phone with my wife's while I'm in the general area.

Here's hoping there's something on those films that's at least promising and educational.

venchka
20-Mar-2009, 18:37
Way to go! 12 sheets already? Slow down!

OK, if you were Abby on NCIS you would have had that phone nailed in under 60 seconds. Good luck!

Steve Hamley
20-Mar-2009, 18:41
Good luck with the shoot! Let us know how the film turns out.

When my pack goes on, everything on the belt goes in the pack, along with keys, wallet, etc.

Cheers,

Steve

dazedgonebye
20-Mar-2009, 18:50
It was only 12 sheets because I bracketed a bit. I wanted to be sure of exposure and minimize the risk of losing something due to another operator/film error. Probably 7 views.

The phone is usually secure on my belt, but shifting around all that camera gear apparently knocked it off. I'll have to put it in the camera bag from now on.
This wasn't a problem with a dslr and 1 lens.

venchka
20-Mar-2009, 18:53
This wasn't a problem with a dslr and 1 lens.

Slacker! :D

Vaughn
20-Mar-2009, 19:02
No need for the treadmill...just get out and photograph!

Good to hear that you were out there!

Vaughn

Juergen Sattler
20-Mar-2009, 19:07
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago in Sedona - lost my phone - somehow it fell out of my pocket - never found it again. Only good news is that it was one of those cheap pre-paid TracFones - so I went to the next Target and bought another one for $30, had my minutes transferred and I was good to go again:-)

Sometimes it pays off to be cheap :-) :-)

Gene McCluney
20-Mar-2009, 19:40
The problem where I go, is that there is generally no cell-phone signal, so if I lost my cell phone I couldn't call it. I lost a walkie-talkie in some high-grass once, and fortunately was able to locate it with a buddy by singing into the other walkie-talkie.

If you only photograph where you can get cell-phone service, you're not a REAL photographer.

dazedgonebye
20-Mar-2009, 20:17
The problem where I go, is that there is generally no cell-phone signal, so if I lost my cell phone I couldn't call it. I lost a walkie-talkie in some high-grass once, and fortunately was able to locate it with a buddy by singing into the other walkie-talkie.

If you only photograph where you can get cell-phone service, you're not a REAL photographer.

Geeze! I hiked in a mile and a half...rocks, cacti, snakes, cacti, javalina, cacti...I think I deserve "real photograher" creds for that.

Tim k
20-Mar-2009, 20:25
89 ? we must be neighbors.

dazedgonebye
20-Mar-2009, 20:28
89 ? we must be neighbors.

I live in Glendale and work in N. Scottsdale. Where you?

Tim k
20-Mar-2009, 20:34
Tucson. Well almost neighbors.

dazedgonebye
20-Mar-2009, 20:44
Tucson. Well almost neighbors.

Looking forward to getting the big camera up Mt. Lemmon in a couple of months. As soon as overnight temps at 7000 feet become tollerable.

Turner Reich
20-Mar-2009, 21:36
Think cart.

Walter Calahan
21-Mar-2009, 06:09
Get a 3-wheeled baby jogging stroller to put your gear on, and then you don't have to be a pack mule, just push your gear to location.

Wear a hat, bring plenty of water, and what's the hurry in shooting 12 sheets. HA!

JohnGC
21-Mar-2009, 11:05
I hope you find your phone.

I agree about getting a cart. I have a large roll around suitcase for my 11x14 gear. It works great.

dazedgonebye
21-Mar-2009, 11:08
No baby stroller would go where I am going. Really, it's too tough for even the three wheeled jogging kind.

I did find the phone this morning!

Ted Stoddard
21-Mar-2009, 11:39
My suggestion is a get a Range Rover 4x4.... you can get the OnStar GPS in case you lose your phone again... Oh and it has A/C so you be cool and not as tired... don't forget the sunglasses.... oh and you can make something to stand on to shoot on top of with a chair and everything.... maybe add a winch in case you get stuck... but hope you got some great shots...

dazedgonebye
21-Mar-2009, 12:14
My suggestion is a get a Range Rover 4x4.... you can get the OnStar GPS in case you lose your phone again... Oh and it has A/C so you be cool and not as tired... don't forget the sunglasses.... oh and you can make something to stand on to shoot on top of with a chair and everything.... maybe add a winch in case you get stuck... but hope you got some great shots...

I was thinking of an Ansel Adams style car with a platform on top. Now if only I could get those tree huggers to let me drive through their preserve in a 4wd!

Gene McCluney
21-Mar-2009, 13:30

I did that, although in my case I purchased a used 1994 Land Rover Discovery, and it works great for my expeditions...and the A/C is wonderful.

mandoman7
21-Mar-2009, 18:57
I did that, although in my case I purchased a used 1994 Land Rover Discovery, and it works great for my expeditions...and the A/C is wonderful.

I've been exploring that idea. Do you have photos of your platform? Is that the best vehicle for one?

John

Nathan Potter
21-Mar-2009, 19:27
Cell phone - no loss - forget it. But hang onto the LF gear for dear life - because that is life!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2009, 06:56
Like Vaughn says, just get out and shoot more and you will get in shape. I just got back from a trip to Yosemite and I put on about 8 miles with the 8x10 on my back. I shot 18 sheets in a day and a half and did not dupe anything. Once you get comfortable with LF no need. It is only about 4,400 ft in the valley but some up hill in the snow with 35 lb. on my back is invigorating to say the least! Make sure you lift some weights and use the treadmill and you will be surprised how easy it will be. I've done the same thing with the 11x14 and I'm no spring chicken either!

Jim

Gene McCluney
22-Mar-2009, 11:18
I've been exploring that idea. Do you have photos of your platform? Is that the best vehicle for one?

John

I use my Land Rover Discovery for my photo trips, but I don't have a platform on it. I find it is a very good vehicle for poor roads and paths with adequate power and a tailgate door that opens sideways like a real door, so I don't have to lift equipment in, like I would have to on a drop-down tailgate arrangement, such as many other 4-wheel drive vehicles have. The A/C works great, and the vehicle does not overheat if you sit in it with the A/C on, stationary while consulting maps, GPS, etc..for an extended period of time.

There are indeed platforms you can mount on top of the vehicle, as well as tents and other wilderness accessories. In fact, this is probably the vehicle that has the most wilderness and off-road gear available.