PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Film holders with Metal darkslides, why?

Gene McCluney
20-Mar-2009, 15:58
I have some 8x10 and 5x7 wood film holders with Metal dark slides. Often these are the same brands that also come with the plastic or bakelite type dark slides. I wonder if there was a "reason" for the metal dark slides? They sure make the film holders heavier.

Vaughn
20-Mar-2009, 16:04
They used them a lot in hospitals for making x-rays -- unbreakable dark slides for quick handling...and weight did not matter.

Vaughn

Peter K
20-Mar-2009, 17:32
Metal dark slides where also used with infrared plates and films, because not all plastic is infrared tight.

sanking
20-Mar-2009, 17:58
Gene,

One reason for using metal is that it can be thinner than the phenolic type plastics. It also will not warp.

I think metal (thin anodized aluminium) is a good choice for ULF holders. Unfortunately it costs a lot more than plastic.

Sandy King

I have some 8x10 and 5x7 wood film holders with Metal dark slides. Often these are the same brands that also come with the plastic or bakelite type dark slides. I wonder if there was a "reason" for the metal dark slides? They sure make the film holders heavier.

Gene McCluney
20-Mar-2009, 18:17
Yeah, aluminum may be a good option, however these older wooden Folmer and Swing and other holders have what appears to be steel dark slides.

Ivan J. Eberle
20-Mar-2009, 18:25
There might also be somewhat less chance of a static buildup/discharge that streaks the film in a very dry environment--with metal slides. Static becomes an issue with my plastic JOBO processing tanks every summer and fall here in CA.

Glenn Thoreson
20-Mar-2009, 20:49
The primary reason has already been mentioned. The first phenolic slides were not infared safe. For infrared work, the aluminum slides were produced. These things are hard tempered springy aluminum, easy to mistake for steel. One of the first holders to come out with all infrared safe construction was the Graflex Graphic Type 5 holders with phenolic slides.

dng88
21-Mar-2009, 06:14
Is it x-ray is life line of large format film? At least the Shanghai film has that X-ray and I think that is part of the reason it still there.

eddie
22-Mar-2009, 09:02
i do not know why but i like the metal ones. they do not break and they also resist the chemicals from wet plate better. i was having problems with the plastic slides "holding"chemicals and contaminating my plates.......the metal solved my problem instantly.

Gene McCluney
22-Mar-2009, 09:50
i do not know why but i like the metal ones. they do not break and they also resist the chemicals from wet plate better. i was having problems with the plastic slides "holding"chemicals and contaminating my plates.......the metal solved my problem instantly.

Eddie, are you using a modified standard film holder to do wet plate?

Jim Noel
22-Mar-2009, 14:27
I don't know what Eddie is doing, but I use unmodified dry plate holders for wet plate. All that is necessary is to remove the metal insert for film.