PDA

View Full Version : What was my camera used for?

Jyrrah
18-Mar-2009, 15:16
I recently received an old aircraft camera as a gift. I haven't been able to find any information on what type of film it takes to even what it was used for. The only information I have comes from the metal plate on the back. Does anyone have any more information on this camera?

US Army Air Corps Camera-Aircraft
Type: K-15 Serial No.: AC41-4919
Order No.: W535ac-17349 Spec No.: 31084-A
M'F'R'D by Fairchild Aviation Corporation
New York, N.Y.

Jim Galli
18-Mar-2009, 16:44
I recently received an old aircraft camera as a gift. I haven't been able to find any information on what type of film it takes to even what it was used for. The only information I have comes from the metal plate on the back. Does anyone have any more information on this camera?

US Army Air Corps Camera-Aircraft
Type: K-15 Serial No.: AC41-4919
Order No.: W535ac-17349 Spec No.: 31084-A
M'F'R'D by Fairchild Aviation Corporation
New York, N.Y.

It was an aerial reconnaisance camera that used large format roll film. They did any job where seeing things from the air could help with information to those on the ground. War pictures of where the opposing troops are at and which direction they're going. Spy pictures. That sort of thing. US Army Air Corps become the US Air Force in 194? so this is probably WWII era equipment. I think I have a K20.

Glenn Thoreson
18-Mar-2009, 17:19
Jim covered it pretty well. These things are fixed focus at infinity. In other words, they're pretty useless for general photography. As to film size, I'll look in my 1947 Navy Photographer's Mate training manual to see if it shows anything. If I remember right, though, the K-15 was already obsolete by '47. It may have been replaced by the K-20. We'll see. :D

Jim Galli
18-Mar-2009, 18:18
The Corps became the Army Air Force in 1941, so a Corps camera may be even earlier than WWII. What size is the film gate where the image gets made?

Jyrrah
19-Mar-2009, 00:49
The film gate (if I measured the right spot) looks to be 5" by 7". I uploaded some photos (http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/JyrrahDR/?newest=1) to photobucket if that would help any.

Peter K
19-Mar-2009, 01:42
As one can see on your pictures the camera lens is removed. Up to 1941 Fairchild aerial cameras often where equipped with Schneider Xenar f/4.5 24 cm lenses.

Aerial film 5" x 100 ft, b&w and color, is still aviable, made by Agfa and Kodak.

Jyrrah
19-Mar-2009, 08:14
Hah! Thought it was supposed to have a lens but I couldn't find any information or pictures of the K-15 to confirm. Well that ends one debate over here. Now to find a lens.