PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 7x17 film holder

John Powers
17-Mar-2009, 16:39
I have one film holder that repeatedly gives me a problem that I hope you can solve. The film holder is marked 7x17 AWB ENT. 1995.

When I unload the film holder after a shoot the 7” side of the film, away from the notch, is always stuck in the small wooden flap. It is the same for either side. None of the image is lost. It is really more of an annoyance than a problem. Removing the film from the slot in the small wooden flap requires extra touching of the film and I worry about grease from my fingers on the image.

I have eleven other 7x17 film holders that do not have this problem so I am fairly sure it is not an operator error: AWB ENT. 1997, AWB ENT. 2001, AWB ENT. undated, three Lotus, two Great Basin, two Sandy King and a no name purchased on eBay.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John

Don7x17
17-Mar-2009, 16:48
I have one film holder that repeatedly gives me a problem that I hope you can solve. The film holder is marked 7x17 AWB ENT. 1995.

When I unload the film holder after a shoot the 7” side of the film, away from the notch, is always stuck in the small wooden flap. It is the same for either side. None of the image is lost. It is really more of an annoyance than a problem. Removing the film from the slot in the small wooden flap requires extra touching of the film and I worry about grease from my fingers on the image.

I have eleven other 7x17 film holders that do not have this problem so I am fairly sure it is not an operator error: AWB ENT. 1997, AWB ENT. 2001, AWB ENT. undated, three Lotus, two Great Basin, two Sandy King and a no name purchased on eBay.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John

I have eight of the same vintage 1995 AWB walnut 7x17 (and another set of 12x20 but have not seen this on the 12x20's) and have noticed this on two of the 7x17.

I've put a tiny piece of double sided tape in the notch under the flap (where you find the edge of the film) with just a little overlap where the film sits.
Now the film stays where it should. I don't seem to have the problem.

Old timers put a piece of double sided tape in the center of the holders. I've not tried this....although it should work similarly.

Don

John Powers
17-Mar-2009, 17:07
I have eight of the same vintage 1995 AWB walnut 7x17 (and another set of 12x20 but have not seen this on the 12x20's) and have noticed this on two of the 7x17.

I've put a tiny piece of double sided tape in the notch under the flap (where you find the edge of the film) with just a little overlap where the film sits.
Now the film stays where it should. I don't seem to have the problem.

Old timers put a piece of double sided tape in the center of the holders. I've not tried this....although it should work similarly.

Don

Thank you Don.

I am not understanding something. If you use double sided tape in the notch of the small flap, one side will stick to the wood. Won't the other side stick to the film or the dark slide? How does this keep the film in place? Sorry for not getting it.

Thanks,

John

Alan Rabe
18-Mar-2009, 05:43
"I worry about grease from my fingers on the image. "
There is a product generically called "Cots". They are just the finger part of gloves. You can find them in the first aid section of any drugstore. I find them indespensible for inserting and removing film. I use one on my index finger and thumb to prevent grease and finger prints from getting on the film.

Bruce Barlow
18-Mar-2009, 06:44
I have never, ever seen a problem from greasy fingers. I just wash my hands before handling film, and my hands seem to stay ungreasy enough for the duration.

Jim Noel
18-Mar-2009, 09:37
I have never, ever seen a problem from greasy fingers. I just wash my hands before handling film, and my hands seem to stay ungreasy enough for the duration.
I fully agree with Bruce. Clean, dry hands are the most useful tool in the darkroom.
Jim

Don7x17
19-Mar-2009, 17:45
Thank you Don.

I am not understanding something. If you use double sided tape in the notch of the small flap, one side will stick to the wood. Won't the other side stick to the film or the dark slide? How does this keep the film in place? Sorry for not getting it.

Thanks,

John

Double sided tape goes on the septum between the two pieces of film, in the notch. One piece on each side of the septum (e.g. one piece per film).

What happens is that you open the holder to find out that the film end now sits where the darkslide slides into the flap. Its still dark and it was exposed correctly before it moved to this location. The tape just keeps the end of the film from moving from under the flap to moving to where the darkslide/flap meets. The film is in the track.
I think the film is sliding up into the dark trap region then back down again.

It happens after the film holder has been loaded and the darkslide is in place (I know -- I've checked the film after loading and its correct, only to find it moved sometime later). There is no evidence of grease on the film surface or holder...wash your hands thoroughly and dry them before changing film.

Good luck.

John Powers
20-Mar-2009, 04:20
Double sided tape goes on the septum between the two pieces of film, in the notch. One piece on each side of the septum (e.g. one piece per film).

What happens is that you open the holder to find out that the film end now sits where the darkslide slides into the flap. Its still dark and it was exposed correctly before it moved to this location. The tape just keeps the end of the film from moving from under the flap to moving to where the darkslide/flap meets. The film is in the track.
I think the film is sliding up into the dark trap region then back down again.

It happens after the film holder has been loaded and the darkslide is in place (I know -- I've checked the film after loading and its correct, only to find it moved sometime later). There is no evidence of grease on the film surface or holder...wash your hands thoroughly and dry them before changing film.

Good luck.

Thanks Don,

I understand it now. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

John, old greasy paws.
It comes from living with a couple of Labrador Retrievers.