PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for a Field Cam

Steve H
16-Mar-2009, 18:52
Gents,
Any suggestions on a nice backpack for my Toyo 45AII and a couple of lenses ? I was looking at the mini trekker - but I am open to suggestions. I don't want something too big as I feel that it will protect the gear less (as it will jostle around). I'll just be carrying the following items:

Camera
3-4 lenses mounted on boards
5-8 film holders
Spot Meter
Couple of Filters
Usual crap (cleaning stuff/notepad/etc)
Tripod

Thanks !
Steve

ljsegil
16-Mar-2009, 19:02
Photobackpacker.com. Bruce has the best gear and the best service and will customize a pack to your needs.
Larry

venchka
16-Mar-2009, 19:08
Amen. Larry has it right.

z_photo
16-Mar-2009, 19:35
i am still shopping as the photobackpacker will not fit the overhead of a regional jet. it is my plight to live where the majority of flights are indeed on regional jets. any other options out there?

venchka
16-Mar-2009, 19:57
A backpack (non-photo, a plain backpack) to fit your planes and a Photobackpacker case for the camera. A Fishpond Stillwater Large fly reel case for your lenses.

Archphoto
16-Mar-2009, 20:29
LowePro has some good backpacks...
I've got the Computrekker Plus AW, fits a lot, handlugage aproved.
They have a smaller version aswell.
I would not like to put it onto the overhead locker though, rather have it on my lap for shorter flights. (Goiânia-Sao Paulo to catch the flight to Amsterdam)

Peter

z_photo
16-Mar-2009, 20:43
A backpack (non-photo, a plain backpack) to fit your planes and a Photobackpacker case for the camera. A Fishpond Stillwater Large fly reel case for your lenses.

3 carry-ons? bzzzzzzt

my phototrekker is too fat for the regional jet overhead. the moose peyerson bag fits but there is no compartment large enough for the LF. most recently i checked an empty backpack and another bag and carried the LF in a suitably sized carry on. but now most airlines are milking extra cash per checked bag. the ideal solution would be something like the moose bag with a mod to accept the LF camera. there is a better mousetrap of the moose bag but it has the same compartment size problem. i have spent MANY hours shopping and shop on.

Colin Corneau
16-Mar-2009, 20:46
I had 2 Lowe-Pro slingshot 200AW bags to carry a field cam-sized Crown Graphic plus accessories, plus 2 35mm systems (F90x and a Widelux) AND film when I last travelled to China.

Easy to carry, easy to balance and they fit easily onto either lap or overhead.

z_photo
16-Mar-2009, 20:51
what airlines do you folks fly that allow carrying a bag on your lap?

Colin Corneau
16-Mar-2009, 20:52
I kept it in the overhead on the intercontinental portion - no problems there and I don't see why it would be. I kept it on my lap on an internal flight in China.

z_photo
16-Mar-2009, 20:55
I kept it in the overhead on the intercontinental portion - no problems there and I don't see why it would be. I kept it on my lap on an internal flight in China.

my question addresses regional jet overheads. never sat in a regional on an international flight so i agree no problem there. regional jet overheads have about 8 inch depth- maybe a bit more if you put the squeeze on the bag sliding it in.

jvuokko
17-Mar-2009, 05:30
Hi,

I use Lowepro Naturetrekker for travelling with a 4x5 field camera.
I have also Pro Trekker, but it is too big for carry-on package (so I cannot take it to the air plane's cabin). The Naturetrekker is just perfect for that.

When I have used pro trekker, I had to put it as checked package. Thus I took camera, lenses and other sensitive stuff to another bag which I took with me to the cabin and filled the pro trekker with clothes etc.
The pros of Pro Trekker are that it's big. It have lot of space and you can use additional backpack for carrying some clothes, food, ...

Here's some photos of my Naturetrekker setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvuokko/3259158748/in/set-72157613415967599/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvuokko/3258328049/in/set-72157613415967599/

venchka
17-Mar-2009, 05:32
How about this?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtAntdt.php

Frank has one for sale right here in the For Sale area.

venchka
17-Mar-2009, 05:36
3 carry-ons? bzzzzzzt

my phototrekker is too fat for the regional jet overhead. the moose peyerson bag fits but there is no compartment large enough for the LF. most recently i checked an empty backpack and another bag and carried the LF in a suitably sized carry on. but now most airlines are milking extra cash per checked bag. the ideal solution would be something like the moose bag with a mod to accept the LF camera. there is a better mousetrap of the moose bag but it has the same compartment size problem. i have spent MANY hours shopping and shop on.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. The Photobackpacker and Fishpond cases go inside the normal backpack. On the other hand, a 4x5 field camera may not fit in a regional jet. Period.

Archphoto
17-Mar-2009, 06:41
z-photo: TAM and GOL, just tell them that it contains a chute........

Peter

willwilson
17-Mar-2009, 06:46
I carry the following field kit:

Chamonix 45n-1
4 lenses on boards
lightmeter
7-14 holders
filters
lens shade
feisol tripod (brand new...loving this thing)
Markins Ballhead
some other accessories

I have photobacker cases for my Chamonix and Lenses.

I haven't found a photo backpack that is any good. I want my backpack to be light, comfortable, and functional. I typically carrier a Gregory Z65 if its just photo gear: http://www.rei.com/product/773915

I have used this pack for overnight trips, but you have to go ultralight on the non photo gear to be comfortable hiking (no tent, no stove, limited food, etc.). If going on longer treks I opt for my larger pack. Comfort far outweighs speed and function for me, but really its not to bad working a top loading pack in the field. You just have to be more organized.

Rick Floyd
17-Mar-2009, 06:50
Steve:

I really like my Photobackpacker system. The customer service is the best I've found.

RF

Brian Ellis
17-Mar-2009, 06:58
I like my f64 8x10 backpack that I use for 4x5. I never run out of room, even carrying food and extra clothing, it protected everything perfectly when I fell and landed on it from about 10 feet, it's relatively light when empty (the weight of many photo backpacks even when empty can be disconcerting), and it fits in the overhead compartment of most airplanes. I don't know about regional jets though. If they're like commuter flights the f64 wouldn't fit in their compartments.

venchka
17-Mar-2009, 07:14
Folks,

I use real backpacks & Photobackpacker cases too, an Osprey for day trips and a Dana Astralplane for longer jaunts. Both packs are superb.

HOWEVER....Steve H wants a bag to hold a ton of gear and go in the overhead of a tiny regional commuter plane. Ain't happening from where I'm sitting and remembering trips in Saabs, Fokkers, TU-154s, Twin Otters and (the worst) those tiny umcomfortable Brazilian made torture chambers that Delta uses.

Steve, get a proper backpack and protective innards for your gear and gate check it for the flights on the tiny planes. The airlines will do that for you. Or they did.

jackies
17-Mar-2009, 08:10
I use the MP-3. It has been my workshorse. It fits into every small regional jet overhead that I have been on. It is light, and I can fit my 4x5, 3 lenses and a pro digital with 2-3 lenses plus other needs. There are smaller packs also if you don't need so much room.

If I want to drag along a computer I use a rollon computer case (9" deep) and put it under the seat in front of me.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/index.html#MP1

Jackie

mrladewig
17-Mar-2009, 08:14
I use a Deuter Futura Zero 40 to carry a similar load, plus a jacket/shell pants, water and food. Its an extremely comfortable backpack, but for the view camera, I think it would be easier to use if it had a front panel loading option. This one is a top load rucksack type pack. I use a big pack raincover to lay out my gear on snow or damp ground. Like Venchka, I use a photobackpacker case for my camera, lenswraps or whatever for the lenses and a sack for the film holders unless I'm using readyloads.

And I agree with Venchka about the regional jet usage. I've flown way more that my share of CRJ/Saab/ERJ flights. For a couple years, I commuted almost weekly on the retched things. Unless you're flying on the new 70 seat ERJ with 737 sized overhead bins, they'll barely fit a laptop case in the overhead. You're gonna have to gate check the bag.

Frank Petronio
17-Mar-2009, 11:11
I am a big fan of the ThinkTank stuff and I used their smallest backpack for air travel with the Linhof Tech or Crown, plus holders, DSLR, 15" MBP, toys... but I am minimalist and I only use one lens, etc

The problem with the Think Tank is that it is really heavy and overpadded for real serious nature hiking, not that I ever would, but it seems the right way to pack for long hikes and backpacking is to use a real backpacking pack with the right fit and harness -- placing your photo gear in those slick Photobackpacker cases (or Tupperware or RubberMaid!). Or if you really want to save space, those padded lenswraps.

r_a_feldman
17-Mar-2009, 13:25
I got a JanSport computer backpack from www.mountainsports.com for my field camera, which can fit in the padded computer sleeve. My tripod attaches to the outside.

Bob

Steve Gledhill
17-Mar-2009, 13:55
I recently purchased a Tamrac 8x 5588 - http://www.tamrac.com/5588.htm
It holds my 5x4 Chamonix, 3 lenses, 12 film holders, meter, filters, tool box, dark cloth, +++ with plenty of space to spare. And has places to attach all sorts of stuff if needed. My tripod straps easily to the back. The dividers can be organised just how you need - and there's lots of pockets inside and outside. And it just meets carry on size for AA and many other airlines. It's light and is (supposedly) waterproof - I haven't tested that yet. It's had a few outings so far and I'm delighted with its accessibility and comfort. And shopping around I found it in some places at half the price of others (£136.70 inc P&P). It replaced a worn out OutPack. I'm a happy customer.

z_photo
17-Mar-2009, 20:38
I use the MP-3. It has been my workshorse. It fits into every small regional jet overhead that I have been on. It is light, and I can fit my 4x5, 3 lenses and a pro digital with 2-3 lenses plus other needs. There are smaller packs also if you don't need so much room.

If I want to drag along a computer I use a rollon computer case (9" deep) and put it under the seat in front of me.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/index.html#MP1

Jackie

have you photos of the moose bag with the 4x5 in it? did you modify the bag? my 4x5 won't fit in my moose bag- at least not yet!! :)

wclavey
17-Mar-2009, 21:41
I agree with what Wayne and mrladewig said... I commuted for more than a year between Hartford CT and RDU in an RJ (3 weeks/month) and, while it wasn't LF (it was 2 Mamiya TLRS with a full complement of lenses, 2 meters, etc.), I still couldn't fit it into the overhead space. So I carried it through security and gate checked it at the last minute. At most airports that means not surrendering it until the very last minute, usually on the tarmac right by the plane. Not that I can say it ever really mattered but I would tell the guy I was handing it to that it was cameras and it always came through fine. Clearly, YMMV.

Clement Apffel
18-Mar-2009, 05:04
I'm curious to know what is the tallest / heaviest tripod you can attach to such backpacks.
Such as the Tamrac 5588 or the kelty redwing P1 from photobackpacker.com.

7 pound & 30 inches folded length or so ?

For those who attach their tripod to their backpack what is the brand / model of backpack / tripod ?

venchka
18-Mar-2009, 05:26
Don't know what it all weighs. I have a Gitzo GT3530 and RRS BH-55 that I carry along with my 4x5 gear in an Osprey panel loader that I bought in about 1996-7-8. It's approximately the size of the Kelty Redwing. Full harness and hipbelt. I don't use the hipbelt for day use out of the car.

jackies
18-Mar-2009, 05:46
The MP-3 bag -

I don't have photos but could do some tonite as I am packing for another trip. I have packed a Linhoff, Wista field and Tachihara 4x5 in it. I put it in the lower left corner standing on its side with the ground glass near the middle for protection.

The Tachihara is the only one that stresses the bag due to some of the metal work. I have not modified the bag other than changing the position of the inner dividers.

This bag has gone on every small regional jet and fits easily in the overhead compartment. I refuse to check my camera - have you seen how they throw those bags?

Will do photos tonite and upload for everyone. With the full load of 4x5 with 3 lenses and pro digital with 2-3 lenses I can pack it on my back and hike for awhile. I am sure you strong men could hike way further than me with it. I think it weighed only about 35 lbs fully loaded.

Jackie

z_photo
18-Mar-2009, 06:11
thanks much. i love my moose bag but i am missing something on getting my 4x5 into it. standing on its side the camera is too tall for the bag. the gura may work since it is a tad deeper but i am not sure it would slide in the overhead as does the moose. for 35mm trips the moose holds an amazing amount of gear including 500, 300, 70-180, wide angle zooms, filters, wimberley sidekick, etc and can come in near 50 pounds. great bag. i just cant make my 4x5 fit due to the metal bits poking out so far!

venchka
18-Mar-2009, 06:23

This bag has gone on every small regional jet and fits easily in the overhead compartment. I refuse to check my camera - have you seen how they throw those bags?

Jackie

Gate checking on small planes in small airports is totally different. You virtually stow it yourself in the luggage compartment. You collect it from the luggage compartment upon departing the plane.

jackies
18-Mar-2009, 06:40
Kyle,

What make of 4x5 do you have?

Frank Petronio
18-Mar-2009, 06:41
It's nice if you can get things down small enough that you never have to gate check, but it isn't nearly as rough as regular baggage handling and you can usually even talk to the person loading the plane to tell them it's fragile. And it is a good reason to at least have some padding in the pack...

What i hate is when some jerk slams their carry-on up into yours, crushing it worse than the baggage handlers would. I seriously worry about the laptop screens, etc.

venchka
18-Mar-2009, 06:47
Amen, Frank!

z_photo
18-Mar-2009, 06:49
Kyle,

What make of 4x5 do you have?

wisner technical field camera. looking at it right now, it protrudes about 2 inches out of the moose bag. i am not at all fond of the idea of the camera weight resting on the metal work. the f.64 bpx is the only thing i have found that looks like it can work.

as for gate check, i have seen enough horrors that i won't do it.

Jim Noel
18-Mar-2009, 09:40
For more than 25 years I have carried my 4x5 filed camera, 3 lenses, 6 holders, 2 meters, filters and black T-shirt for dark cloth in a good day pack. It weighs almost nothing in comparison with a pack made for photography. The money I save goes into film.

jackies
18-Mar-2009, 20:28
Here is a photo of the 4x5 and lenses. I also have a 5D and telephoto lens on this side and more lenses and filters in the other half of the pack.
Jackie

z_photo
18-Mar-2009, 20:31
thanks! my camera is quite a bit bigger. go figure

jackies
18-Mar-2009, 20:35
Mine is:

Wood only 6x6x3
Plus metal - 7x8x3

Interesting. . .

timparkin
19-Mar-2009, 05:42
I'm curious to know what is the tallest / heaviest tripod you can attach to such backpacks.
Such as the Tamrac 5588 or the kelty redwing P1 from photobackpacker.com.

7 pound & 30 inches folded length or so ?

For those who attach their tripod to their backpack what is the brand / model of backpack / tripod ?

3540XLS+BH55 with spikes on the side of a LowePro Photo Trekker . Sticks up a lot but is fine on balance

Tim

bobc
19-Mar-2009, 08:05
An outside the box (pack) thought is using something like a bicycle messenger's satchel...

When traveling with the 4x5, a couple of lenses (with boards), filters and film holders, these work great! It provides easy access to everything, lies flat (think regional jet stowage) and by laying it on the ground when photographing, the opened cover serves as a clean surface to lay stuff on.

I have this one which I love because it's padded, has tons of nooks and crannies and pockets, is comfortable and makes you look like everyone else on the street instead of someone with expensive photo equipment. I have OR pouches to put the lenses in and wrap the camera in the dark cloth...

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Business_&_Urban/40221/Cosmopolis_Bag_v3.html

Cheers,
-bob

ki6mf
19-Mar-2009, 15:14
Adorama makes the Adorama Joe Farace Reporter II backpack with a 17" laptop section and a front pocket. I use it with my Shen Hao 4X5 and Nikon digital. I Put film holders in my checked luggage and it keep the expensive gear as carry on. Current cost is $79.00 so this is a bargain. I have photobackpacker gear and when I need carry on luggage use the Adorama Photo Back pack.

http://www.adorama.com/GBRBK.html