PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 250mm F6.3 Experience

marschp
16-Mar-2009, 11:52
I'm looking to replace my existing Fujinon A 240mm f9 with the 250mm f6.3 and I'd like to know if anyone thinks this is a bad move?

I do lots of low light work and I find the f9 a little dark for focusing. I know the f6.3 is about twice the weight of the f9 but I'm dropping another lens from my pack too so overall I won't be any worse off in terms of weight. While the image circle of the F6.3 (320mm) is smaller than the f9 (380mm) it is still way in excess of what I need for my 4x5, yet still allows me to use it on a 617 format back. The 67mm filter thread also fits with my other lenses.

So I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows how the f6.3 stacks up in terms of sharpness, and if there are any other issues I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Eric Woodbury
16-Mar-2009, 12:11
I haven't used the 250, but these are modern lenses and I'm sure they are both fine lenses with excellent performance. The 6.3 is a full stop brighter and this will help your focusing. It has been my experience with large format, that there is more to be gained with a good darkcloth and keeping out all, ALL, the stray light. I have customized my darkcloths such that they velcro around the ground glass and there is no other way for light to get in. This reduces background light so well that my eyes can adapt better and even with extreme wide angles (72mm on 5x7), I can focus in the forest.

Make sure your ground glass is of good quality, too. This can help as much as that extra stop. I don't use fresnels and with your longer focal length, there is nothing to be gained here.

Don't sell your 240A until you are sure. It is a hard lens to replace.

Gem Singer
16-Mar-2009, 12:22
I have been using my Fujinon f6.3 250 CM-W for both 4X5 and 5X7. It's one of my favorite lenses.

The Fuji 250 is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter and is only slightly larger than the Fuji 210.

As you know, the Fuji f9 240A is much smaller and lighter in weight, mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, but the compromise is the slower maximum aperture.

The Fuji 250W and 250CM-W are plasmats. The 240A is a process lens formula, similar to the Schneider G-Clarons.

venchka
16-Mar-2009, 13:12
Wasn't there also a 250mm 1:6.7 Fujinon lens? How does it compare to the 6.3 and 240mm A lenses in terms of size, performance, etc?

Eric Woodbury
16-Mar-2009, 13:34
Looking at the charts, the f/6.7 comes in single and EBC coatings and has a very large 398mm image circle. Didn't find a weight. 6.7 v 6.3 is a 12% loss.

Jeremy Moore
16-Mar-2009, 13:39
Wasn't there also a 250mm 1:6.7 Fujinon lens? How does it compare to the 6.3 and 240mm A lenses in terms of size, performance, etc?

The f/6.7 is an earlier lens with a 398mm image circle (easily enough to do just about anything you want on 8x10). I have both lenses as I picked up the 6.3 first (smaller image circle, just *barely* covers 8x10 stopped down) and supplemented it with a 6.7 when I started shooting 8x10.

I'm planning on finally selling my f/6.3 as I only need one 250mm lens, but I shot the 6.7 and the 6.3 on my 4x5 at the same aperture on 4x5, one shot each side of the holder. After I developed the negatives I looked at them with a 10x loupe and if I hadn't marked which was which I wouldn't have known as they are visually identical. The exposures were both made at f/16.

My suggestion is if you're going to be shooting 8x10 then track down the f/6.7, but up through even whole plate the f/6.3 is cheaper and more readily available (shoot, just email me and I'll sell you mine!).

Don Dudenbostel
16-Mar-2009, 13:54
Curious why you would go for the f6.3 and not a 240 5.6? I know the 240 would be in a #3 shutter but you gain more speed f stop wise. The Fujis are great lenses and I like mine but I've seen some 240 Nikkor 5.6 lenses for in the $300 range. The prices on 240's are so cheap now it makes them hard to pass up.

Gem Singer
16-Mar-2009, 13:56
The Fuji 6.3 and 6.7 both take 67mm. screw-in filters, and both are mounted in Copal 1 shutters. I don't know the exact weight, but I would expect both lenses to weigh approx. the same.

The Fuji f6.7 250W is a much sought after lens because, with it's 398mm IC, it will easily cover 8X10. It is much smaller and lighter weight than the usual 240 plasmats, that are mounted in Copal 3 shutters, yet it has a larger IC.

The f6.7 250W is mounted in the older silver ring Copal 1 and is single coated. However, it's a great lens. Sharp, with more than ample coating for B&W or color.

Gem Singer
16-Mar-2009, 14:00
I was answering Wayne's (venchka) question, but before I could post it, three others beat me to the draw.

I type very slowly.

marschp
16-Mar-2009, 14:32
Curious why you would go for the f6.3 and not a 240 5.6? I know the 240 would be in a #3 shutter but you gain more speed f stop wise. The Fujis are great lenses and I like mine but I've seen some 240 Nikkor 5.6 lenses for in the $300 range. The prices on 240's are so cheap now it makes them hard to pass up.

Hi Don - I suppose I'm trying to achieve the great compromise of focusing ease, image circle, weight, filter compatibility, sharpness, and price. I've looked at most 210/240/250 lenses out there and the 250 seems to be a good compromise. Most 240 5.6 lenses seem to weigh about 800grams to 1kg (including the Fuji, Schn, Rod, Nikk) which is just too much for me. The F9 lenses I find frustrating to focus (even with a full dark cloth) in early morning light (pre sun-up) or under the tree canopy.

I've also just noticed that the 67mm thread on the 250 f6.3 means that all my lenses will be 67mm which means I can move my filters to the new Lee RF series which will further reduce backpack weight.

Having said all that, if you (or anyone) are aware of a 500gram (1 lb) 240mm f5.6 lens with an image circle that covers 6x17 (or 5x7), with a filter thread of 82mm or lower then I'd be really interested to hear about it.

Cheers.

Paul

Eric Woodbury
16-Mar-2009, 14:52
Looks like there are several 250/6.3 at KEH, all under $200. Wow.

Rodney Polden
16-Mar-2009, 15:35
Hi Paul

The f6.3 version of the 250mm Fuji lenses is indeed multi-coated, EBC I assume, and has coverage sufficient for 8x10. The f6.7 version is a little earlier, single-coated and has terrific coverage - 398mm IC. Both lenses have great sharpness, and I suspect if properly shaded, results would be indistinguishable from one to the other. Though one or two pieces of Fuji literature list a f6.7 version with EBC coating, I believe this is actually a typo or whatever. Kerry Thalmann, who researched Fuji lenses extensively (thanks, Kerry!) had never met an EBC f6.7, I understand, so that may well have just been some small error on the part of Fuji or their distributors.

I haven't found a listed weight for the f6.7 version, but mine clocks around 600 grams including MPP lensboard on my kitchen scales (accuracy plus or minus....?)

They stand out, along with some other Fuji lenses, as among the most useful and under-valued of lenses, for both 8x10 and smaller formats. It's a very happy choice of focal length on 4x5 for one set of purposes, on 5x7 for another, and of course on 8x10 as a great lightweight, fairly-wide-aperture, wide/normal lens.

The f6.7 seems more sought-after at present than the f6.3, so it's worth saving a favourite search on the-site-that-shall-not-be-named, and wait for the emails to show up telling you they're for sale. Good luck.

drew.saunders
16-Mar-2009, 15:55
I have a 250/6.3 and it's a great lens. I don't have any other 240-250mm lenses to compare it to, but I've never been disappointed with the results from it. It is my largest lens, and I'm thinking of getting a 240/9 A to supplement it for when I want to save a little weight, or I can just not take it along. When I switch between it and my 200/8 Nikkor or 300/8.5 Fuji, I do notice the brightness difference, but just for a second or two.

Since I shoot 4x5, I'm happy that the 6.7 is so much more desirable, as it kept the price of the 6.3 reasonable, and I can't use all the coverage that the 6.3 gives me anyway.

At $200 for an EX with caps from Keh, you might as well grab one, that's a great price for a great lens.

Drew Wiley
17-Mar-2009, 16:19
The 250A is actually a better corrected, especially at very close range, and obviously lighter weight and much more compact. Superb at infinity too. It easily covers 8x10, as does the 6.7. The 6.3 is fine on 4x5 or 5x7, but not enough coverage for typical
8x10 use. If you need a brighter image than the 250A provides, the 6.7 is almost as good optically. I'd put the 6.3 as the least desirable option of the three if you are making really big enlargements, but this is relative. It's an excellent lens for routine 4x5work, as is its successor the 250CMW. Hard to go wrong with Fuji.

Drew Wiley
17-Mar-2009, 16:26
Postscript - my own 250/6.7 was superbly multicoated. Some of the Fuji brochures were a bit cryptic about this. Even my 360A lenses are multicoated. If the printing is
on the outside of the lens barrel, it's probably late and multicoated. It doesn't have to
say "EBC coated". To my knowledge, only the "L" series tessar lenses were deliberately
single-coated to keep contrast down for portrait work. The 240A, incidentally, is very
contrasty, even a bit more than the 6.7, and distinctly more than the Schneider plasmats of comparable vintage.

Gene McCluney
17-Mar-2009, 18:46
I have both the 6.7 and the 6.3 and on 4x5 and 5x7 the are both excellent. Haven't tried the 6.7 on 8x10 yet, but that is soon.

marschp
19-Mar-2009, 16:11
Thanks everyone for the help - really useful feedback. I've ordered one of the 250mm f6.3 lenses from KEH. I'm keeping my 240 f9 for the time being until I see how the 250 performs. Paul.