PDA

View Full Version : B&W Photographic Papers.

Keith Tapscott.
16-Mar-2009, 02:43
What are your favourite currently available B&W papers? Silver halide, not inkjet.
Please, no discontinued papers.

John Bowen
16-Mar-2009, 06:37
Michael Smith's Azo replacement paper, Lodima

PViapiano
16-Mar-2009, 06:47
Foma and Bergger have some amazingly beautiful papers...

For everyday work, I like Ilford and it's readily available, of course.

Gem Singer
16-Mar-2009, 06:56
Bergger VCCB and Ilford Multigrade IV Warmtone.

Toyon
16-Mar-2009, 07:35
Fotokemika Varycon and the pre-preduction Adox MCC, and Oriental Warmtone FB.

anotherJoe
16-Mar-2009, 07:39
LODIMA FINE ART Paper
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html

Oren Grad
16-Mar-2009, 08:21
Ilford MG FB Warmtone and RC Warmtone. I also cherish my few remaining boxes of Agfa MCC, which I mention because it may yet be reborn - I'll be testing and probably stocking Adox MCC if and when it goes into regular production.

vinny
16-Mar-2009, 08:24
Kentmere Finegrain VC glossy. I like the bright white base and the lack of curling when dry.

Mark Woods
16-Mar-2009, 10:29
Could someone explain the Lodima process to me. I've looked on the web, their website, and other places and would like a simple explanation of what I need to do to make prints. Thanks in advance. (I'm thinking of buying some.)

IanG
16-Mar-2009, 10:56
It's a backward looking product (read the name backwards) to replace Kodak's discontinued Azo contact paper. Many people process papers like these in Amidol based developers.

So you need the right size & contrast negative to make your contact prints. It's not particularly different apart from that. Chloride papers are too slow forv enlargements but have a long toanl range.

Ian

Roger Thoms
16-Mar-2009, 11:00
Could someone explain the Lodima process to me. I've looked on the web, their website, and other places and would like a simple explanation of what I need to do to make prints. Thanks in advance. (I'm thinking of buying some.)

Lodima is a contact printing paper that is being manufactured to replace Kodak Azo. Here is a link to for more info on placing an order for the next production run of Lodima.
Roger

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html

And here is a link for the Lodima forum. (part of the Azo forum)

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/default.asp?BulletinCate=13

MIke Sherck
16-Mar-2009, 11:36
Ilford Warmtone FB

mcfactor
16-Mar-2009, 12:09
Ilford Gallerie

Keith Tapscott.
16-Mar-2009, 12:18
I didn`t expect to get so many replies so quickly. Thanks for the feedback. Ilford WT seems to be very popular and Ilford papers in general. I don`t have any experience with Azo type papers though.

dsphotog
16-Mar-2009, 12:20
I like Ilford MG, I use the rc version for test/proof/work prints, & FB for portfolio/gallery prints. The emulsion is the same speed on both. RC paper saves time & water,and costs less, at the expense of print life.

Keith Tapscott.
16-Mar-2009, 12:41
I like Ilford MG, I use the rc version for test/proof/work prints, & FB for portfolio/gallery prints. The emulsion is the same speed on both. RC paper saves time & water,and costs less, at the expense of print life.
I also use MG IV as my main paper stock in RC and FB. I was curious to see what other folks were using. I haven`t tried making test-strips with RC paper and then making a work print on FB, so an interesting idea.

chuck461
16-Mar-2009, 13:48

Very interesting. I would think that the FB would have more dry down effect. Do you find a need to compensate for that, or does the RC look the same as the FB?

Chuck

Oren Grad
16-Mar-2009, 14:13
I haven`t tried making test-strips with RC paper and then making a work print on FB, so an interesting idea.

For both of the Ilford FB / RC paper "pairs" - MGIVFB / MGRC Deluxe and MGFBWT / MGRCWT - the FB and RC papers in each pair are sufficiently different in both speed and curve shape that I've not found that approach to be useful.

The same was true, BTW, for Agfa MCC/MCP - although it was claimed to be the same emulsion coated on different bases, in practice they behaved like two distinctly different papers.

Kevin Crisp
16-Mar-2009, 14:45
I am not through my frozen stock of Forte yet (sorry I mentioned a defunct product) but when I am out of it I intend to go back to Seagull fiber base multicontrast. It tones beautifully and the quality is very high from sheet to sheet.

Mark Woods
16-Mar-2009, 15:03
Thanks rtbadman. I thought I'd been all over their website, but evidently not.

MW

dsphotog
16-Mar-2009, 23:24
I've found the speed/drydown of Ilford MGFB glossy & MGRC pearl to be pretty close...But I still do test strips, on the same type of paper.
FB matte has a lot of drydown... More like the rc satin surface.
For contrast control, I use a 4x5 Beseler color head & the dual filter chart packed with the paper.