PDA

View Full Version : "The ideal Focus Cloth"

RicT
16-Mar-2009, 01:09
Greetings forum members. This is my my first posting on this site. I have purchased a second-hand LF outfit and will be travelling across South Australia during my next vacation. Hope to get some good shots with my recently purchased ToyoView 5X4.
I would like to make a really good quality focusing cloth and I would welcome any information on size, materials etc - so I get it right first time.
Regards
RicT

Martin Miksch
16-Mar-2009, 02:06
Using the search button here in the forum will bring you a lot of information about dark clothes, IMO a black t-shirt is very usable, at least for me.
Regards
Martin

Vaughn
16-Mar-2009, 02:18
I suggest a two-tone darkcloth -- white on the outside to keep off the Aussie sun and black inside to keep it dark. There are all sorts of fancy add-ons one can incorperate into the cloth -- velcro to keep it on the camera, etc. I'd avoid adding weights to the corners.

vaughn

Frank Petronio
16-Mar-2009, 04:40
Often times it is easier to get a better loupe or a brighter fresnel, or depending on the camera there might be a folding viewing hood covering the ground glass -- and then improvising with your shirt or jacket. It beats having to remember and carry a dedicated focusing cloth IMHO. On the other hand, if you throw your camera into a backpack then wrapping it in the focusing cloth adds some padding, and in a studio or out the car it doesn't matter.

It also depends whether you're a fussbudget who spends 15 minutes at a time under the cloth or if you know what you want and just need a quick view to check focus or raise the front standard.

Walter Calahan
16-Mar-2009, 05:29
I second the two toned darkcloth. Get one with white on the one side. Your cool head with thank you.

Stephen Lewis
16-Mar-2009, 05:38
Hi Ric
I've tried a few designs over the years, but the one that works best for me was made by my beloved in about 1/2 an hour. It's a piece of material (in this case Goretex) made into a tube about 2 feet long and wide enough to fit over my shoulders. One opening has a piece of elastic threaded though it so it figs snug around the rear frame of the camera. It's lined it with cotton, and being waterproof, I can throw it over the camera when working in rain and snow.
I made a darkcloth similar to this a few years ago from black-out material. This had the advantage of being light grey, so keeping the internal temperature down in the summer. The main disadvantage is that it was a fairly heavyweight material. Also, the darkcloth doesn't have to be absolutely light tight. It only needs to be dark enough to judge the tones and light etc.
The one I use now is made by Paramo. It's the same basic design as my tube, but has a few extras added and is made from for same material as Paramo's clothing. Have a look here http://www.lightandland.co.uk/article.aspx?articleId=326&typeId=2&conId=8. HTH

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2009, 05:59
I presume that Australia is like Florida, and a white or reflective outer layer is absolutely necessary to keep from frying your brains. I use a BTZS hood, which isn't perfect but it's the best that I've tried, and the price is reasonable.
Another important hint is that the top of the box you keep your stuff in should be painted white or silver.

Frank Petronio
16-Mar-2009, 06:08
Somebody should make one out of modern microfiber and Goretex-y stuff so it breaths, unlike most of the fancy ones currently sold. Make it like a Patagonia softshell jacket and it would be great.

Ken Lee
16-Mar-2009, 07:19
This may not apply to southern Oz, but...

Carl Weese told me a while back that just as one can never be too rich, or too slim, one can never bring along too many film holders.

In that vein, I would extend the addage to say that one's dark cloth can never be too large - especially when you're shooting in the cold or rain.

Richard Wasserman
16-Mar-2009, 07:38
Ken,

A kindred spirit! Most people seem to be looking for the minimum sized darkcloth I suppose so it saves a few ounces and packs smaller which makes sense if you're carrying your gear a fair distance. Do most of us do that, or do we work within a mile or so of the car? I have a large Harrison cloth which measures 54x94 inches and love it for 4x5. As you said, it can protect the camera from precipitation and it's nice and cozy in the winter and keeps the hot sun off my back in the summer. Plus it sure is dark in there! So, Ric my suggestion is to think BIG (relatively) when you make your 2 sided darkcloth- you'll definitely want a reflective side.

In my experience, bigger is better with dark cloths.

Carl Weese told me a while back that just as one can never be too rich, or too slim, one can never bring along too many film holders.

In that vein, I would extend the analogy to say that one's dark cloth can never be too large - especially when you're shooting in the cold or rain.

Jim Rhoades
16-Mar-2009, 07:56
Lot's of good advice here that's all over the map. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee both use and teach the advantages of a large cloth. Of course they use 8x10 and 8x20 cameras so that might have something to do with it. When I use my 5x7 or 8x10 I go to my BTZS cloth or a large homemade one, with small fishing weighs in it and velco on the sides.

But mostly I shoot with a 4x5 Horseman HD. A very small and light camera with a folding hood on the back. When I do need a darkcloth a small black one the size of a towel works fine, so does a jacket or tee shirt. So, big camera big cloth. Horseman, Linhof or Crown Graphic maybe nothing at all.

Stephen Lewis
16-Mar-2009, 07:59
Somebody should make one out of modern microfiber and Goretex-y stuff so it breaths, unlike most of the fancy ones currently sold. Make it like a Patagonia softshell jacket and it would be great.

Hi Frank
The Paramo cloth is made from the same material as their clothing, so it's breathable and waterproof. All I need to do now is persuade them to make it in white or light grey :o

kev curry
16-Mar-2009, 10:13
£85 plus £5 local shipping for a dark cloth:rolleyes: Not in this lifetime!

Ernest Purdum
16-Mar-2009, 16:08
I'm afraid it isn't ideal, but one of my dark cloths started out as a Halloween Dracula cloak.

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2009, 16:22
I'm afraid it isn't ideal, but one of my dark cloths started out as a Halloween Dracula cloak.

But you can only photograph between sunset and sunrise.

(I'm sure this will be the first of many really poor bits of humor about this cloak.)

Scott Knowles
16-Mar-2009, 17:10
I use my Hind Running shell (http://www.wsrphoto.com/lfblog15.html) which doubles as a light rain coat. Hey, it's the Northwest. I discoverd most of the time I don't need a focusing cloth, the Horseman comes with a foldout hood which is usually sufficient.

RicT
17-Mar-2009, 02:47
Folks, I appreciate tremendously the time and effort you have spent replying to my question. I like the idea of the tube and also the idea of a large cloth - definitely two sided. I will be oiling up the old Pedal Singer Sewing Machine on the weekend and getting busy creating one - maybe two.
Thanks again

RicT:)

Turner Reich
17-Mar-2009, 03:03
I second the two toned darkcloth. Get one with white on the one side. Your cool head with thank you.

same here

john collins
17-Mar-2009, 03:31
Have a look at the Blackjacket at quietworksdotcom. I'm using my second one at this point having changed to a larger camera.

ifer
18-Mar-2009, 18:56
i use my film changing bag... which is always in the bagpack

ljsegil
19-Mar-2009, 03:22
Also vote for Blackjacket (only used the hybrid versions), though not cheap you get a lot for your money. 8x10 size has convenient slots for loading film holders from outside the cloth to any orientation of the ground glass without needing to adjust cloth or break the light seal around the camera (though a little fussy to use). Pretty comfortable, hot or cold, and adjustable zipper on 8x10 to enable compromise between light tightness and fit (doesn't easily slide over the shoulders if the zip is completely closed). Use of Velcro to enable light seal at camera end could be easier to use IMHO, but overall I'm happily sold and have purchased it for multiple formats (8x10 is qualitatively more sophisticated and capable than smaller sizes). Lightweight, packs nicely into a carrying sack and fits easily into most any crevice of a backpack, although the 8x10 is ideal for the side packs on the Photobackpacker P2 where it still allows room for a few 4x5 or 5x7 film holders, or quick/ready/polo holders, if you're also a reducing back kind of guy/gal with your 8x10. 4x5 and 5x7 versions have enough room to enable loading film holders into cameras without removing the cloth. In my experience much more comfortable in the heat than the BTZS with greater capability. Recommended if you got the extra requisite stash.
LJS

Shen45
19-Mar-2009, 04:19
Greetings forum members. This is my my first posting on this site. I have purchased a second-hand LF outfit and will be travelling across South Australia during my next vacation. Hope to get some good shots with my recently purchased ToyoView 5X4.
I would like to make a really good quality focusing cloth and I would welcome any information on size, materials etc - so I get it right first time.
Regards
RicT

RicT are you in Australia or traveling to Australia? Vacation possibly indicates travelling.

Depending on the time of the year the sun temperature is often in excess of 60 degrees so :) wear a hat. No amount of white on your darkcloth is going to help your brain. If you can find a tree, if you are going bush, and it is near what you want to photograph, there is a slight possibilty of shade. The intensity of the direct sun will fry your brain. For my preference steer clear of the horse blacket style as the reflected light will play havoc with you GG screen. Mine fits snugly around the GG and reaches below my backside allowing me plenty of room to step back in a dark environment to view the full screen.

Depending on the time of the year and the areas you intend to visit you will have a great time.

Steve

jnantz
19-Mar-2009, 05:34
cheap is ideal for me.

i have never wasted my money on
the latest and greatest.
a local fabric store has dark cloth by the bolt.
i have used a few different ones
some felt, some not,
but they were all big enough and about $2.50

timparkin
19-Mar-2009, 05:38
Also vote for Blackjacket (only used the hybrid versions), though not cheap you get a lot for your money. 8x10 size has convenient slots for loading film holders from outside the cloth to any orientation of the ground glass without needing to adjust cloth or break the light seal around the camera (though a little fussy to use). Pretty comfortable, hot or cold, and adjustable zipper on 8x10 to enable compromise between light tightness and fit (doesn't easily slide over the shoulders if the zip is completely closed). Use of Velcro to enable light seal at camera end could be easier to use IMHO, but overall I'm happily sold and have purchased it for multiple formats (8x10 is qualitatively more sophisticated and capable than smaller sizes). Lightweight, packs nicely into a carrying sack and fits easily into most any crevice of a backpack, although the 8x10 is ideal for the side packs on the Photobackpacker P2 where it still allows room for a few 4x5 or 5x7 film holders, or quick/ready/polo holders, if you're also a reducing back kind of guy/gal with your 8x10. 4x5 and 5x7 versions have enough room to enable loading film holders into cameras without removing the cloth. In my experience much more comfortable in the heat than the BTZS with greater capability. Recommended if you got the extra requisite stash.
LJS

Another black jacket vote. I'd definitely go tubular anyway .. The sleeves on the blackjacket are extremely useful and I've made a couple of modifications to mine to make it a perfect light tight seal..

http://www.timparkin.co.uk/blog/5500784231778145784

Tim

RicT
19-Mar-2009, 23:50
Hi Steve
I am a Sydneysider - born and bred in Sydney. About ten Years ago My girlfriend and I drove from Sydney to Adelaide. At that time I had an Omega View Camera which I used to take about eight photos. I laid the large format gear aside for a few years, but have since acquired a nice Plaubel Peco 5X7 (with a 5X4 back) and a ToyoViewG with a short, medium and long lens. I will always remember some of that great South Australian outback scenery and have looked forward to making another trip - most probably sometime later this year. There is so much I need to catch up on. Most f the films and developers I have used seem to be discontinued.
Anyhow, they say that it is the journey that counts.
BTW, I would like to post a photo I took in SA last trip to see if anyone can identify the location, but am not sure how.
Regards
RicT

Frank Petronio
20-Mar-2009, 06:01
Just don't buy a used Blackjacket (or other darkcloth for that matter) from a cigar smoking guy who used a lot of hair gel but still had dandruff and psoriasis... just saying, you don't have to repeat my dumb experience.

C. D. Keth
24-Mar-2009, 01:31
I just bought some cloth and made one. I used black microfiber cloth that has a bit of fuzz to one side (which I put on the inside of the cloth sandwich so it can't possibly shed) and is very light tight. I sandwiched that with some white nylon-y stuff that I sprayed with waterproofing stuff for a backpack. It's pretty light, as light-tight as I care to pursue, and should be pretty water resistant. Cost me about $15 plus a couple hours in front of the TV sewing.

jeroldharter
24-Mar-2009, 07:29
Another vote for the Blackjacket 8x10 hybrid. It is large but designed to be used reasonably well on smaller cameras. It is very well designed and well made. I agree that it is expensive but so is wasting film with poor focusing, etc. I have tried BTZS (good but does not fit some cameras well and is very humid in hot or cold weather) and horse blanket styles with and without weights. Black jacket is more light tight and more easily used with different cameras and different formats. I wanted to get away from a different cloth for each camera.

Robert Budding
24-Mar-2009, 18:38
I'm a BlackJacket user, too. I like it!

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm