PDA

View Full Version : help with reflections

eddie
14-Mar-2009, 05:36
hello all,

i am having trouble with trying to determine a lens formula using the reflections i see while shining a light in it.

i have a few lenses that i know what they are. petzval, RR, etc. i am still having trouble "seeing" it. and then to make it worse when i put the elements back into the barrel and try to do it assembled i am lost.

does it matter which end i shine the light from? am i looking for strong and weak reflections or big and small? how close should i hold the light? what kind of light works best? any tips on figuring it out with out disassembling the lens?

thanks for the help.

eddie

Paul Fitzgerald
14-Mar-2009, 07:45
"how close should i hold the light?"

a single overhead 60watt bulb works well

"does it matter which end i shine the light from?"

not really, it's easier to check each cell alone by closing the aperture.

"am i looking for strong and weak reflections or big and small?"

look for strong and weak, large and small will differ by formula

have fun with it, practice makes perfect.

Ole Tjugen
14-Mar-2009, 08:34
Strong reflections are form glass/air surfaces, weak reflections are from glass/glass surfaces.

Large reflections are from flat(tish) surfaces, small reflections are from strongly convex surfaces. Very large reflections can be from weakly concave surfaces.

When you tilt the lens/cell relative to the light, reflections from convex surfaces will move in one direction and those from concave surfaces in the opposite direction. Compare the front cell of a Petzval with a (front) cell of a RR to see this.

eddie
14-Mar-2009, 15:19
okay. this helps. i am bookmarking this for sure.

thanks guys.