PDA

View Full Version : Combiplan tank developing error

fredludv
14-Mar-2009, 05:05
Hi, see attached image for the uneven developed area to the right. (foma 100 classic 9x12cm)
This is at the top of the neg and are at almost every 6 negatives that are loaded in the tank. To me it looks like it is to little soup in the tank..?

Anyone had this problem?

/ Fredrik

Bob Salomon
14-Mar-2009, 05:22
The inside top of the tank has the chemistry requirements. Is that the amount that you are using?
Are you using inversion agitation per the instructions?
Are you opening an air path per the instructions and filling the tank per the printed instructions?

fredludv
14-Mar-2009, 06:31
Yes I am using 1 liter for 9x12 (checked now with some water and the holder are well under surface.)

I am mounting the lid so the filling and the drainingholes are on same side, that way I can fill the tank by having it laying instead of standing and I dont need to screw the air patch nipples, just open and closing the small lids. This goes very fast and with little effort.

I am agitating with the tilting and with a 90 degree screw, maby I should to the agitation as the instructions says, only a firm 180 degrees tilt from side to side..

/ Fredrik

Bob Salomon
14-Mar-2009, 06:50
Yes I am using 1 liter for 9x12 (checked now with some water and the holder are well under surface.)

I am mounting the lid so the filling and the drainingholes are on same side, that way I can fill the tank by having it laying instead of standing and I dont need to screw the air patch nipples, just open and closing the small lids. This goes very fast and with little effort.

I am agitating with the tilting and with a 90 degree screw, maby I should to the agitation as the instructions says, only a firm 180 degrees tilt from side to side..

/ Fredrik

Are you using 45 09 912 film? If 4x5 then you need the correct amount of chemistry.

The CombiPlan was made for inversion agitation.

The CombiPlan was made to be filled and emptied by opening air paths and filling through the top Light Tight Hose Connector. The connector has a baffle in the unit to direct the chemistry away from the film and into the trough at the top of the tank which directs the chemistry flow down the sides of the tank.

If you follow the instructions you should not have problems.

BTW, When I wrote the instruction sheet I wrote:

" 3. Firmly tap the closed tank several times on a hard surface to dislodge any air bubbles from the film’s surfaces then abruptly tilting the tank from side to side, and alternately to the left and right in an arc of approx. 180°."

Are you following these instructions?

Juergen Sattler
14-Mar-2009, 06:51
Fredrik,

I have been using the Combitank for the first time just a few days ago and my results were fine. I did follow the instructions exactly (incl. the assembly of the tank - eg. where the filling and draining niples are supposed to be) and I inverted according to the specs. Really was easy and the results look great.

Patrik Roseen
14-Mar-2009, 07:04
I use the combiplan tank frequently.

My strategy is to dilute the developer and instead go for longer development times, e.g. Kodak TMX 4x5" developed in fx-39 diluted 1:19 and always fill the tank with 1200 ml, which means 60ml of fx-39. That's right 60ml of fx 39 is enough to develop 6 sheets of TMX 100 4x5". But, ofcourse the development time stretches to 18 minutes in 20C. Agitation first minute then every minute.

If you read the instructions for your developer and film combination there is probably something about diluting it even further (e.g. 1:9, 1:14,1:19)

I know Bob always comes back saying I am doing things wrong, but hey it works!

gevalia
14-Mar-2009, 07:55
I have always used 1150ml in the Combi Tank. Even with 45 minute stand development.

fredludv
14-Mar-2009, 08:45
Ok thanks a lot everyone, I guess I will have to do exactly as the instructions says.

Im sure there are no error with the Combiplan tank, it must be the way I am doing it.

Thanks all for your help.

Toyon
14-Mar-2009, 09:33
I have always used 1150ml in the Combi Tank. Even with 45 minute stand development.

How do you avoid uneven edge development with extended stand development?