PDA

View Full Version : SCHNEIDER SA 75/5.6 OR RODENSTOCK GRANDAGON 75/4.5 N

Carlos H. Santana
19-Aug-2001, 21:17
Hello,

I'm going to buy my first wide angle lens and I would like to know any compariso n between the Schneider Super Angulon 75/5.6 and the Rodenstock Grandagon 75/4.5 N.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Carlos H. Santana

Kevin Kemner
20-Aug-2001, 11:10
Carlos,

From past posts of this type both lenses are highly regarded and have an equal number of supporters. My vote would be for the Nikkor 75mm F4.5. Its a fantastic lens with the largest image circle of the three. But, you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

paul owen
20-Aug-2001, 19:12
Carlos, Any modern lens will outperform available films. I dont think that you'd tell the difference on a side by side test with any currently available 75mm. Sure, the Nikon gives you a (slightly) brighter screen image, but this is negligible. Get whichever is cheaper!! Regards Paul

Andre Noble
21-Aug-2001, 07:56
Calrlos, since you're already talking about the extreme wide angle range, I feel you may want to consider saving a little more money and get the Schneider Super Angulon XL f5,6 72mm instead, if you can. It's a more capable lens because of its larger, high quality image circle. Try Robert White for lowest prices new! Good Luck Andre

paul owen
21-Aug-2001, 11:15
Carlos, Whilst Andre has a valid point concerning covering power, the 72XL is a beast of a lens that takes mighty large front filters! Both the Schneider and Rodenstock are more compact in size and don't weigh a ton! If you need to go "tiny", then the 80XL must be on your list of possibles. Regards Paul

Kerry L. Thalmann
22-Aug-2001, 02:54
Carlos,

You might also want to consider the 75mm f4.5 Caltar II-N. It's no big secret that the current Caltars are made by Rodenstock and are identical in design and quality to their Rodenstock twins. The 75mm f4.5 Caltar II-N is currently on sale at Calumet for $899.95. That's nearly $400 less than the B&H price for the comparable (identical optically) 75mm f4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N.

Kerry