PDA

View Full Version : swirlies on 4x5 gralfex SLR or speed

sgelb
11-Mar-2009, 22:13
well. i want some swirlies and other crazy stuff wide open.

can anyone reccomend a good lens for this that i could get mounted for a graflex super D or a speed graphic?

goamules
12-Mar-2009, 06:02
Yes, check out my Perken Son petzval on the forsale section. It will fit a Speed, or your other Graflex.

A.J. Dickson
12-Mar-2009, 20:33
I'm no expert but One problem I find with my setup at least, is that the range of focus is only about 18'' to 36''. Thats with a 6 inch dallmeyer petzval, good enough for tight shots to tight torso shots, nothing further . I'm running a Super d 3x4. There are limitations with these SLR's, mirror fouling and bellows draw. You may get better coverage with the Speed Graphic. I havent seen any distinct swirlies yet.

jnantz
13-Mar-2009, 04:26
a lens intended for 2x3 on a 4x5 would probably do the trick.
try a junk folder lens - single cell and cheap.
if it has a "throat" to stop it down, remove it so the
lens shoots wide open.

Jim Galli
13-Mar-2009, 09:50
The problem you're going to have is that any projection petzval that is long enough to miss the mirror is also long enough that the swirlies are out of the coverage area. They typically came in 6 inch and 8 inch for projectors. A 6 inch may be too short unless you roll it out some and move in. That little move probably just hid the swirly part. An 8 inch should work at infinity but the swirls will be beyond your capture area. Cake and don't get to eat it too?