PDA

View Full Version : Mounting "Odd lenses" on Sinar Norma?

soeren
10-Mar-2009, 23:35
Those threads and posts regarding Plasticas, Jim Galli style and Dagors are so addictive and really should be banned :D
I just got the copal behind the lens shutter for my Norma and I'm about to give in to the addiction. Offcource I can bid on, order or just collect a lens and then figure out how to mount it but does any of you have some great ideas on which kind of lens plates, adapters, irises or whatever it would be nice to have ready for when the lenses start rolling in?
Kind regards
Søren

Frank Petronio
11-Mar-2009, 00:16
The easiest way to experiment is to get another Sinar standard and bellows and mount it in front of the Sinar shutter. Then you can mount your barrel lenses onto flat, inexpensive Sinar lensboards and adjust the bellows to suit.

soeren
11-Mar-2009, 01:24
I love that ansver Frank :D I have thought about getting another standard and bellows to use when shooting 4X5" since the 5X7" + reduction back is a bit bulky and not as easy in use. So thats another good reason to do it.
EDIT hmm thinking about it that might also make it easier to balance the big heavy lenses.
Kind regards
Søren

Emil Schildt
11-Mar-2009, 08:30
Søren: Claus has had homemade sinar boards made - good working quality and cheap too... And it is close to where I live!

(otherwise, a thick piece of cardboard (for passepartout) can work fine!)

Jim Noel
11-Mar-2009, 09:44
Your Norma should have come with an intermediate standard on which the shutter can be mounted. This was part of my original kit.

soeren
11-Mar-2009, 23:33
Søren: Claus has had homemade sinar boards made - good working quality and cheap too... And it is close to where I live!

(otherwise, a thick piece of cardboard (for passepartout) can work fine!)

Tell me more about those boards. Hmm Cardboard you say??? I sawyour lenses and some of them look kind of big and heavy. Will cardboard be stron enough?
Kind regards

soeren
11-Mar-2009, 23:39
Your Norma should have come with an intermediate standard on which the shutter can be mounted. This was part of my original kit.

As it is now I can mount the shutter on the back of the front standard which ofcource limmits the free space between plate and shutter for the lenses. But most barrellenses will mount on front of a lensplate wont they?
Kind regards
Søren

Ole Tjugen
12-Mar-2009, 01:23
The elegant solution is a Sinar lensboard with a universal iris mount on it. :D

soeren
12-Mar-2009, 01:59
The elegant solution is a Sinar lensboard with a universal iris mount on it. :D

And just by coincidence you have one for sale eh :D
Where do I find one?
Ebay? Some hidden shop in a backalley or....?
Kind regards

Ole Tjugen
12-Mar-2009, 05:08
Just by coincidence I don't have one for sale - I use it on my Gandolfi Traditional 10x8". So there. :D

I may have a spare iris though...

soeren
12-Mar-2009, 05:48
A spare iris or iris mount?
How much should expect to pay for such a mount?
Kind regards

Ole Tjugen
12-Mar-2009, 06:34
I think I saw a sparee universal iris mount the other day, and I also seem to remember that that one isn't too large to fit on a Sinar board. But since I alreadt have a Sinar boare with an iris mount on it, I don't need that one.

I have iris mounts on a Speed graphic, a 13x18cm and a 24x30cm plate camera too...

soeren
12-Mar-2009, 06:57
I think I saw a sparee universal iris mount the other day, and I also seem to remember that that one isn't too large to fit on a Sinar board. But since I alreadt have a Sinar boare with an iris mount on it, I don't need that one.

I have iris mounts on a Speed graphic, a 13x18cm and a 24x30cm plate camera too...

So will you part with it? For how much?
Kind regards

Ole Tjugen
12-Mar-2009, 07:23
Søren, du har en PM. :)

wfwhitaker
12-Mar-2009, 07:53
The largest universal iris mount that I've been able to fit on a Sinar lensboard has a maximum opening of about 3 1/8 inches (that's about 78mm for Soeren). Many of the old, interesting lenses, especially the faster ones, tend to run larger than that. Some old lenses which otherwise would fit have shutters which interfere with the knobs on the mount. I have larger iris mounts, but they won't fit on the Sinar board, so it becomes rather frustrating. The universal iris mount is a very useful accessory; it's just that it won't work in every case. Probably the best accessory of all would be an open account with SK Grimes.

Gene McCluney
12-Mar-2009, 09:59
If you are using a behind-the-lens shutter, be it Sinar or something simple such as a Packard, you will find that "some" LF lenses project behind the mounting flange, thus interfering with the shutter. The simple answer to this is to cut (from wood for ease of cutting) a spacer that fits on the front of the lensboard, upon which you mount your lens flange. Just a simple plywood spacer. Plywood comes in different thicknesses. You can get small sheets of high-grade plywood at Hobby and Craft stores.

Lachlan 717
12-Mar-2009, 14:47
If you mount your lens on a DB board, you should gain about 80mm of clearence between the rear of the lens and the Sinar shutter.