PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

sergiojaenlara
9-Mar-2009, 14:02
Hi, this is Sergio from Spain and this is my first post.
I am now using a wonderful Mamiya 7 camera but I want more control on my captures.
May be I am looking for something that doesnīt exists but I would try.

- 4x5 camera accepting roll backs (6x7, 6x9 and 6x12).
- Portable, light, all around camera, documental, landscape, architecture.
- Accepting wide angle lenses and a portrait lens. Not only accepting wide angle but also having movements with them.

May be the only alternatives are ebony's sv45 series or ebony 45su, at the other hand lookin at shen hao's hz camera it seems a 45su copy at six times the ebonyīs price.
I know the finish won`t be near equal.
All people I have asked near me told me that I have to choose or a field camera or a
monorail camera for architecture, but may be I can find a mixed option.

What about toyo 45 aII or wista sp?
As you can see I am very confused about my election but I think there isnīt a better place to ask than this forum.

darr
9-Mar-2009, 15:11
Sergio,

You may receive a lot of answers since there are a few cameras out there, but I do not think there is the 'one' camera that does it all and is lightweight.

I settled on an Arca Swiss monorail for studio and an Ebony RSW for outside. I also have a beautiful Ebony 45SU, but I am thinking of selling it since deciding to keep the AS and the RSW. I bought the RSW (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=977&PT_ID=163) (Robert White exclusive model) for use with a 6x12 back outside and this seems to be all I need. I wish I had the $ for the Ebony 617s, but I think it is over-priced for my needs.

Happy trails through the LF world,
Darr

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2009, 16:33
For architectural work, you're going to need more front rise than a Toyo AII or a Wista SP is capable of providing (wide angle capability).

An Arca Swiss F would be ideal, and there are several other monorail cameras that can also do the job. However, what you will gain in extended movements will be lost in portability.

Check out Mike Walker's wide angle cameras.

Bill_1856
9-Mar-2009, 19:54
A Linhof Technika is probably about the best combination you're going to get to meet all those requirements. Weight w/o lens is about 6#.

Thebes
9-Mar-2009, 20:41
I wonder if you might consider two cameras, both taking the same lensboards. Doing large movements with wide lenses you probably want to consider certain monorails with bag bellows. Yet, portability becomes an issue. For documentary photography you might want a camera which could be used handheld or on a monopod, and for that something like the Linhof Super Technica V might fit your needs, though they are not exactly light.

A lot of times you can find or have made a lensboard adapter so that, for example, you could use an Arca Swiss with Linhof lensboards.

IMHO, with 4x5 compared to MF and 35mm, you have no "right" camera but rather excellent cameras which are well suited to certain purposes while being less suited to others.

Ash
10-Mar-2009, 05:51
Anyone mention the Gowland All-moves?

pyro
10-Mar-2009, 10:27
You might consider the Canham DLC metal field. I've been using one for years for everything from architectural to landscape work and find that it meets all the requirements you've listed.

The Canham design allows the full use of focal lengths from long telephoto to extreme wide-angle with the standard bellows. I regularly use lenses ranging from a long 450mm Fuji to a very wide 55mm Rodenstock with very good range of movements. It accepts Wista/Horseman 6x9 and 6x12 roll film backs and also the Cambo series of reflex and in-line viewers. The Canham is very light, very compact and combines the best features of both monorail and flatbed field designs.

Anthony Lewis
10-Mar-2009, 11:10
The Sinar Alpina with the Sinar roll film back (zoom holder), is worth a look in.

Roger Thoms
10-Mar-2009, 11:27
The Sinar Alpina with the Sinar roll film back (zoom holder), is worth a look in.

I have a Alpina which I use in the field and am quite happy with. With a bag bellows I have used a 47mm Super Angulon with no problems. I don't backpack with it, I put the camera on the tripod at the car and then walk with it. I have shot all day this way. Alpina's can be had quite cheaply these days.

Roger Thoms

Vaughn
10-Mar-2009, 13:02
Anyone mention the Gowland All-moves?

I don't think so, but I would have if you didn't! Vaughn

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/

Bill McMannis
10-Mar-2009, 15:13
I remain a big fan and user of the Technikardan. It meets your specs for wide angle with movements and there are roll film adaptors available.Being a folding monorail, it is quite versatile.

sergiojaenlara
11-Mar-2009, 03:24
Really the only camera that has the specs I want is a light monorail camera, I begin to be aware of that.
Of course I like technikardan camera but is very expensive, Any alternatives?

mandoman7
11-Mar-2009, 09:39
You're not going to know what you want from this camera until you've had some shooting experience with large format. It doesn't make sense to over-think the first purchase when the likelihood is that you'll change after you've shot in the field with it.

This is particularly true now when there are so many great buys in the classifieds and ebay. A lot of the outfits are being sold by people who bought very nice lenses and bodies and didn't really know what shooting in LF was really like. Everyone sees the sharp photos and then concludes that its just a matter of getting a set of fancy tools.

I'd suggest a Crown Graphic folding, or maybe a Calumet monorail, with one lens, for a starting outfit of less than $400. Then see how it suits your creative flow and go from there. You can't really know your future, you've just got to go out and do it, which may not make any sense to you at the moment.

JY

sergiojaenlara
11-Mar-2009, 09:46
You're not going to know what you want from this camera until you've had some shooting experience with large format. It doesn't make sense to over-think the first purchase when the likelihood is that you'll change after you've shot in the field with it.

This is particularly true now when there are so many great buys in the classifieds and ebay. A lot of the outfits are being sold by people who bought very nice lenses and bodies and didn't really know what shooting in LF was really like. Everyone sees the sharp photos and then concludes that its just a matter of getting a set of fancy tools.

I'd suggest a Crown Graphic folding, or maybe a Calumet monorail, with one lens, for a starting outfit of less than $400. Then see how it suits your creative flow and go from there. You can't really know your future, you've just got to go out and do it, which may not make any sense to you at the moment.

JY

I know what you mean Mandoman7 but I donīt like to buy two times.

darr
11-Mar-2009, 10:58
I know what you mean Mandoman7 but I donīt like to buy two times.

LF is a process, including picking a camera. ;)

sergiojaenlara
31-Dec-2009, 22:52
Hi boys, Happy New Year by the way!
I am still searching for a camera.
What about sinars f1 or alpina?

David McNiven
1-Jan-2010, 07:06
Another vote for the Alpina (Wolf in the UK. Also A1 elsewhere). Light, full movements, almost bombproof. And a tenth of the price of many 45's! Sinar bits except the rails all fit and that's a big plus. There's one listed on the UK e-thing now.

Wayne Crider
1-Jan-2010, 12:17
I think that mandoman7 has his point, as many have come and gone after much decision making and spending on the allure of LF. If your a professional making his living at photography then yes I'd spend and get what I want, but probably in a used package. If I had shot LF and liked the format I'd even buy something new to get an outfit that is seen less often in used condition. But if I was a hobbyist I'll tell you that LF is a format that one has to be dedicated to to use and I would not go spending alot of money in it till I tried it out. It's much easier to pickup a Mamiya 6x7 and and take a walk then to so the same with a 4x5 or above.
Now to make a suggestion, I'd would have you look at professional photographers websites, seeing what their genre is and if it concurs with yours, then reading their Tech/equipment section to see what they use. Architectural photographers need things general open landscape photographers may not, and many times that results in two cameras and many different lenses, besides accessories, that can enlarge a spending spree beyond expectations.