PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Bozeman, Montana

millertimemsu
9-Mar-2009, 13:40
My name is Tyler Miller and I am a photography major at Montana State University in Bozeman. I started shooting 4x5 this semester and obviously have been developing my own film and making my own prints. I am from Pennsylvania and live there when I am not in school. I started using T-Max 100 but I recently switched to Ilford FP4+ to change it up. I found that TMAX was somewhat picky with exposure and development (our school uses sprint chemicals). I think Ilford FP4+ is more "compatible" if you will, with a wider range of developers and gives more latitude for exposure.

I like 4x5 because I think about each image a lot more carefully than with 35mm and especially digital. I love digital, but its nice to get out and shoot 4x5 scenes.

Anyways, thats about it.

Tyler
www.blog.tylermillerphotography.com
millertime07MSU@gmail.com

MIke Sherck
9-Mar-2009, 13:51
Welcome to the funhouse! You're right about Tmax: it is indeed fussy. It's my favorite film but it took me a while to get to know it. I think it was worth the effort, others have differing opinion. Ilford's FP4+ is certainly a more forgiving film in some respects, has a completely different look, I think. I don't think the film matters all that much: you'll probably find something you like. When you do, stick with it until you get to know it pretty well and that will save you a lot of headaches. A key point in photography is to learn to manage (and reduce!) the variables.

Good luck!

Mike

Robert Brummitt
9-Mar-2009, 15:44
Hey there Tyler.
Welcome to the Forum. You should post some images. I'm curious to see your part of the country. My wife and I are playing with the idea of visiting Bozeman and then down into Yellowstone for a family vacation.
Please show and tell.;) ;)

Walter Calahan
9-Mar-2009, 17:25
I see you posted the aerial image of the downtown explosion made my friend's, Larry Mayer (chief photographer of the Billings Gazette), on your blog.

Renato Tonelli
9-Mar-2009, 17:42
Welcome Tyler - I hope you are enjoying your Montana experience; I often dream of visiting Montana and sooner or later I will.

millertimemsu
20-Mar-2009, 19:13
thanks all, i will try to post some stuff soon.

sanking
20-Mar-2009, 20:30
Hi,

Is Chris Anderson at your school?

If so, you need to meet her.

Sandy King

My name is Tyler Miller and I am a photography major at Montana State University in Bozeman. I started shooting 4x5 this semester and obviously have been developing my own film and making my own prints. I am from Pennsylvania and live there when I am not in school. I started using T-Max 100 but I recently switched to Ilford FP4+ to change it up. I found that TMAX was somewhat picky with exposure and development (our school uses sprint chemicals). I think Ilford FP4+ is more "compatible" if you will, with a wider range of developers and gives more latitude for exposure.

I like 4x5 because I think about each image a lot more carefully than with 35mm and especially digital. I love digital, but its nice to get out and shoot 4x5 scenes.

Anyways, thats about it.

Tyler
www.blog.tylermillerphotography.com
millertime07MSU@gmail.com

millertimemsu
23-Mar-2009, 18:27
Yea Chris is a prof in the photo department, very awesome woman. She does the alternative and experimental processes classes. She hooked me up with my internship as well. Did you go to MSU or how do you know her?