PDA

View Full Version : Real photographers don't need new gears!

Hugo Zhang
9-Mar-2009, 04:57
Here is a great shot to show that...

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=607756

Mike Castles
9-Mar-2009, 05:02
Nice one Hugo...and the expression on the photographers face says it all.

spiky247
9-Mar-2009, 05:38
I bet he is saving up for a nice Sinar P2 :-)

wfwhitaker
9-Mar-2009, 05:43
I thought it was Jim Galli at first, but the lens is too small.

CG
9-Mar-2009, 07:02
Great image!

eddie
9-Mar-2009, 07:06
I thought it was Jim Galli at first, but the lens is too small.

looks like jim to me......

julie nightingale
9-Mar-2009, 07:08
Oh, that is beautiful Hugo!

Jim Galli
9-Mar-2009, 07:20
Not me, that guy has better teeth. Something tells me he got the shot and it's gorgeous.

Harley Goldman
9-Mar-2009, 07:22
Great shot, Hugo. What a wonderful expression.

You gonna send him a new Cham? :)

Steve M Hostetter
9-Mar-2009, 07:58
Hey,, at least he has a shutter.. Thank you for sharing that Hugo ! He seems to really enjoy his work and I'll bet he's damn good at it

Brian Ellis
9-Mar-2009, 09:29
As a believer in the theory that the more money you spend the better your photographs will be, I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the photographs he's making with that outfit.

AJ Edmondson
9-Mar-2009, 09:51
Thanks for sharing Hugo... absolutely priceless and you can feel the excitement! Made my day.

Tri Tran
9-Mar-2009, 09:58
Nice. I didn't know your uncle doing LF too ! :)

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2009, 10:10
if the truth were known, this is a picture of a Chinese photog field testing a prototype of the newest Chamonix camera.

The camera has been disguised so that Shen Hoa can't copy it and release their new camera first, beating Chamonix to the market place.

Similar to what goes on in the automobile industry. You know, those guys with tele-lensed cameras who hang around auto manufactures test tracks and shoot through the chain link fences, so that they can get an early look at the next new model and scoop the competition

(insert smiley face here)

Hugo Zhang
9-Mar-2009, 15:46
The story goes that Mr. Li started as a porter and an assistant to a photographer from UK in 1946 when he was 12. When that photographer left China at the end of 1946, the boy wanted that wooden camera so bad and the photographer asked for $50. The boy sold the family ox behind his parents back for $70 and got that camera. That camera has stayed with him for the next 62 years and he made his living as a commercial photographer, traveling from village to village. No meter and natural light only. 300 villages, 300,000 pictures and 150,000 miles walking in those 60 years. He has worn through over 100 pairs of shoes. Quinness World Records puts him as the person of record who uses natural light, darkroom and hand processing for longest time. Had two personal shows a few years ago.

Jim Galli
9-Mar-2009, 16:11
The story goes that Mr. Li started as a porter and an assistant to a photographer from UK in 1946 when he was 12. When that photographer left China at the end of 1946, the boy wanted that wooden camera so bad and the photographer asked for $50. The boy sold the family ox behind his parents back for $70 and got that camera. That camera has stayed with him for the next 62 years and he made his living as a commercial photographer, traveling from village to village. No meter and natural light only. 300 villages, 300,000 pictures and 150,000 miles walking in those 60 years. He has worn through over 100 pairs of shoes. Quinness World Records puts him as the person of record who uses natural light, darkroom and hand processing for longest time. Had two personal shows a few years ago.

Fantastic story Hugo. If you have links to any of his pictures it would be fun to see.

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2009, 16:20
Your story sure beats my story, Hugo. Yours is true.

I can relate to an old-timer who is still using traditional tools and materials. He must love what he is doing. That degree of devotion to his craft gives him something to live for.

Someone should make a movie about Mr. Li. At least tell his story on TV.

Allen in Montreal
9-Mar-2009, 16:31
Imagine the stories he can tell over a bottle of wine and dinner!

Hugo, if the opportunity arrives, you must meet this man, listen to his stories and take his picture!

Ken Lee
9-Mar-2009, 16:41
It is Jim Galli.

Jim-Ga Li.

During those 60 years, Jim-Ga acquired many vintage lenses.

And now you know, as Paul Harvey would say... the rest of the story.

John Bowen
9-Mar-2009, 17:39
the truth be told.... this gentleman has a 200 mp digital back on this rig!

Mike Castles
9-Mar-2009, 17:55
Great story to go with a great photograph. I bet he would walk those miles again just from the look on his face.

Frank Petronio
9-Mar-2009, 18:13
Looks like a Hasselblad to me.

Hugo Zhang
9-Mar-2009, 18:51
A few pictures...

http://www.xmnn.cn/dzbk/xmrb/20070606/200706/t20070606_224688.htm

http://www.people.com.cn/GB/paper40/10719/974429.html

He has been through a lot. Encounters with wild animals and robbers. He would climb up a tree to escape a pack of wolves and wait and shiver up there in the cold of the night till some local hunters came to his rescue. He still can climb up a tree today. One time he broke the back window of his house to run into the mountains with his camera to escape from the robbers. When he was bitten by snakes, he would jump into a stream and squeeze the poisoned blood into the water. To escape wasps, he would cover himself up with clothes with only two tiny holes for his eyes. Wild hogs don't like smoke, so he would smoke when he felt those animals were nearby. He would arrive at a village and stay for a few weeks and take everybody's pictures. Big event for many villages and many grandmas would wait for his return year after year.

Jan Pedersen
9-Mar-2009, 19:55
Wonderful story Hugo. Wonder what Mr. Li would say if he could put his hands on a new Chamonix. Would it interest him? maybe not!

Allen in Montreal
9-Mar-2009, 20:35
Wonderful story Hugo. Wonder what Mr. Li would say if he could put his hands on a new Chamonix. Would it interest him? maybe not!

If his camera is in good working order, I bet he loves it so much he would decline.
If it is beaten silly after all those years of travel.....:)