PDA

View Full Version : can dvd's be erased

Steve M Hostetter
8-Mar-2009, 09:54
Hello,,, I know this may sound dumb but,,, can a dvd be erased so that I can re-use the space for new images ? thx

Gene McCluney
8-Mar-2009, 10:02
The simple answer is NO. DVD-R and DVD+R discs are write once. These are the inexpensive discs you find at mass retailers.

However,

You can purchase DVD-RW discs (note the "RW") which allow you to erase and reuse.
They are considerably more expensive, and "may" not be as archival.

My opinion is that, when purchased in 50 or 100 disc pancakes, at discount stores, the unit cost of a record-once DVD is about 25 cents, or thereabouts. To me this is a trivial expense. I sometimes use DVDs just as a transfer medium to get files from one computer to another, then I throw the disc away (break it first).

Steve M Hostetter
8-Mar-2009, 10:40
thank you Gene,,, It's the RW I don't know how to erase

Scott Knowles
8-Mar-2009, 11:06
thank you Gene,,, It's the RW I don't know how to erase

You can't record over them as with some media (tapes). There should be a "format" option with the hardware or software which clears the disc. I use these discs with my DVD-RW since I can simply reformat to reuse them. While they're not archive, I haven't seen any degradation on the ones I've recorded over half a dozen times or more.

Sevo
8-Mar-2009, 11:14
As far as Windows 2000/XP is concerned, you usually cannot erase DVD-RW from the Windows desktop, but would have to do so from the packet writing utility that came with your drive (which should have a icon in the utility bar). YMMV with more dedicated DVD-RAM drives - these sometimes come with enhanced drivers that allows for transparent erasing on both -RAM and -RW. Vista, OS X and Linux usually come with more DVD management built into the OS, but drives and drivers may override that, so you can face similar issues (and need similar workarounds) there.

In any case and on all OSes, you can always use a dedicated CD/DVD writing application for erasing.

Oh, and DVD-RW is considered about the least reliable among archival media - for archival purposes, only DVD-RAM is considered acceptable, and even that is not entirely safe and needs a multiple backup policy.

Sevo

Gene McCluney
8-Mar-2009, 12:53
As said above, what you should be looking for in your CD/DVD writing software is a "format" option, which would wipe the previous data from the disc.

Steve M Hostetter
8-Mar-2009, 15:20
thx you guys

aphexafx
12-Mar-2009, 00:37
thx you guys

Hey Steve - you should always use your verify option whenever creating optical discs, but this is especially important for RW media as they will eventually fail to record. Eventually...as Scott indicated, they are pretty durable in general. And, as Gene mentioned, it is often cheaper and safer to just burn and toss standard -R discs. If the intention is archival, don't rely on -RW media...my opinion.

Steve M Hostetter
12-Mar-2009, 02:14
thx Matt,,, I'm just transfering files from a mac to PC ... I found the erase feature in the menu in toast but it takes forever and the computer ends up crashing

Joanna Carter
12-Mar-2009, 03:21
I'm just transfering files from a mac to PC
PMFJI but why not use a network cable?

Preston
15-Mar-2009, 21:00
I agree with Joanna. Grab a Cat-5e Crossover cable and then set up a peer-to-peer network with simple file sharing. This assumes, of course that both machines have NICs.

-Preston

Steve M Hostetter
16-Mar-2009, 05:59
Sorry it took me so long to comment, I just noticed.. Joanna and Preston,, thank you for responding, I'll have to get with a computer guy to know what exactly you are talking about... I didn't know you could hook a Mac and a PC together but as long as they behave I guess it would be ok... I mean I hope I'm not reminded of the poorly made B-movie with Rosie Greer, the two headed transplant.. gave me nightmares

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 07:14
Hi Steve

If both your Mac and Windows machines can see the internet through the same router/ADSL modem, then you are good to go, because they are both connected to the same network. If not, simply ensure that there is a network cable plugged into both computers.

It is easier to access a Windows machine from a Mac, as Windows has much more difficulty finding networks, especially non-Windows ones :confused:

Once you have a connection, you need to find a folder in Windows that you want to use to share stuff to/from. Right-clicking on the folder in explorer show you a context menu which has a choice for sharing/security. You need to use this dialog to allow sharing of the folder.

Now that the folder is shared, use Finder on the Mac to view the network and you shold see your Windows computer. Double-clicking on the computer should bring up a prompt to login to the Windows machine - use the same user name and password as if you were using the Windows machine.

If all has gone according to plan, you should now be able to see any files and folders, that are in the shared folder on the Windows machine, on your Mac. Simply drag and drop files to/from one machine to the other in Finder.

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 07:16
Steve, if you have iChat on your Mac, then I can do a screen share from here and guide you through.

Steve M Hostetter
16-Mar-2009, 08:26
Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up . My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..

thank you for the response
Steve

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 08:57
Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up.
No, Steve. You don't need to get a Bluetooth, just a piece of ordinary network cable.

My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..
That's the whole wrong way around :D

I use a Macbook Pro but have to use Windows for my software consulting work. So, I have Windows XP installed as a virtual machine "within" the Mac. This means that Windows is never connected to the internet. All my internet work, downloading files, browsing, etc, is done with Firefox, Thunderbird and other Mac software on the Mac. I then use the VM software to transfer files to/from the Windows side of things. So Windows doesn't need any anti-virus or anything like it.

Send me a PM with your contact details and I will get in touch offline.

Kuzano
16-Mar-2009, 09:08
Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up . My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..

thank you for the response
Steve

Apple's official stance is currently that users should be using antivirus software. This is on the public record

Steve M Hostetter
16-Mar-2009, 09:21
Apple's official stance is currently that users should be using antivirus software. This is on the public record

It's my understanding that Mac won't let anything on the HD without a password ..which in the big picture is what a virus scan does?

Rakesh Malik
16-Mar-2009, 10:16
It's my understanding that Mac won't let anything on the HD without a password ..

If you run software and your computer is connected to the internet, it's potentially vulnerable no matter what OS you're running.

That said, most virus infections on computers use the one vulnerability that no OS vendor can protect the computer from: its user.

Hence the recommendation for virus protection software -- enough users don't know enough to protect their own machines to make viruses a danger, and now that OSX is gaining significant market share, it's also becoming a more appealing target for hackers and malware.

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 13:57
There was a news article recently about this but it tuned out to be a mistaken re-hash of old advice that is no longer deemed to be necessary, simply advisable; and that is only to cover Apples's legal back.

If you rrealised jut how OS X is built, you would not worry about viruses in the same way that you have to with Windows.

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 14:01
If you run software and your computer is connected to the internet, it's potentially vulnerable no matter what OS you're running.
It is considerably more difficult for a Mac user to accidentally permit a virus; anything that wants to install itself has to request the user enters the master password so to do.

Hence the recommendation for virus protection software -- enough users don't know enough to protect their own machines to make viruses a danger, and now that OSX is gaining significant market share, it's also becoming a more appealing target for hackers and malware.
So far, over two years, I haven't even had a sniff of a virus. There just aren't the possibilities for infection that Windows offers.

Joanna Carter
16-Mar-2009, 14:08
It's my understanding that Mac won't let anything on the HD without a password ..which in the big picture is what a virus scan does?
You are correct in understanding that the user has to actively permit the installation of anything by entering the administrative password. What a virus scanner does is to monitor all disc and memory access to ensure that anything that looks like a virus cannot run or install itself; hence the speed and performance penalties of using a virus scanner.

Rakesh Malik
16-Mar-2009, 16:10
It is considerably more difficult for a Mac user to accidentally permit a virus; anything that wants to install itself has to request the user enters the master password so to do.

Do you remember how and why phishing works?

So far, over two years, I haven't even had a sniff of a virus. There just aren't the possibilities for infection that Windows offers.

Neither have I, but that proves nothing either way.

But like I said, the only reason that there aren't as many virus writers targeting OSX is that there weren't enough users. These people are basically trying to wreak as much havoc as possible, so a small user base just doesn't appeal to them unless it's a high profile target like the NCSA.

In last year's hacking contest, the first machine to be compromised out of Vista, Linux, and OSX was Vista -- because of a vulnerability in Safari.

Besides, if there weren't vulnerabilities in OSX, you wouldn't be seeing security patches from Apple, yet they release quite a few. They'll never get rid of them all simply because this is the real world we're dealing with, but they do deserve credit for being diligent about addressing them.

aphexafx
16-Mar-2009, 22:24
Rakesh is stepping on the money here. Windows is no more or less secure than OSX, etc. It has everything to do with the users. His point about virus software is absolutely dead on - it is NOT required to maintain a secure Windows machine, be it a workstation or server. I run many Windows systems (among others) and none of them have any virus software whatsoever.

OSX is absolutely vulnerable to the same sorts of malicious programming as are Windows computers. Most of what you hear about as Windows virus issues are not virus issues at all, but rather that is the scapegoat for whenever anything goes wrong for many everyday Windows users, who represents a much wider group than OSX, which means nothing except that Microsoft has been much more successful than Apple has towards getting their OS into people's homes and offices.

There is absolutely no reason to isolate your computer from the internet, Windows or OSX.

Joanna, there is no fundamental difference between modern Windows NT systems such as XP and Vista, and OSX (UNIX) architecture that makes one or the other more or less secure. It is entirely about user base and user activity. Windows XP and Vista have absolute password security, and any of these systems, including OSX can be compromised if the user makes a mistake.

And OSX has PLENTY of security vulnerabilities. Still, again, any of these systems and others like them, such as Solaris, etc., are very robust and easy to maintain without virus software, which is mostly a huge scam that preys on misinformation and popular opinion that is incorrect.

Steve, just make sure to turn on your Windows Sharing service on your Mac and you will be perfectly able to view your OSX shares from your Windows machine, and this is probably the preferred direction no matter which way your files are going. Windows networking is hugely advanced and will handle things much better than OSX will, provided everything is working in the first place. Or you may have better luck the other way; it's all depends on you really.

Cheers!

Steve M Hostetter
17-Mar-2009, 09:55
thx guys... ! very interesting information

But I will tell you this from my own experiance, I had a Mac G3 laptop for 13 yrs. with no problems and three PC's ("same user") in that 13 yrs.This has caused me to consider other avenues.. So as a result the only technical term that I can make any sense of is shop and compare value for money..
Now you say both systems are the same so tell me why "all these" -"PC repair shops" can't work on Mac's ?

Rakesh Malik
17-Mar-2009, 11:10
But I will tell you this from my own experiance, I had a Mac G3 laptop for 13 yrs. with no problems and three PC's ("same user") in that 13 yrs.This has caused me to consider other avenues.. So as a result the only technical term that I can make any sense of is shop and compare value for money..
Now you say both systems are the same so tell me why "all these" -"PC repair shops" can't work on Mac's ?

He didn't say that they were the same.

Also, since the OSX is UNIX-ish (it's not truly UNIX, it's an imitation, just like Linux), administering it and troubleshooting non-obvious problems requires knowledge that most PC repair shops won't have -- and most of them won't support Linux either, for the same reason.

The pre-x86 macs were also nearly entirely proprietary until Apple retired NuBus and started supporting industry standards like USB and PCI.

Even today, tech support for laptops is a pain, because laptops aren't designed to be modular, they're designed to be compact. As in all things in engineering, there are tradeoffs.