PDA

View Full Version : Matte box for Chamonix 45

Ulrich Drolshagen
7-Mar-2009, 04:21
Hi,

I need a suggestion for an affordable matte box for my Chamonix 45N. Chamonix seems to have one in the queue but there is no ETA mentioned on their web site. What's your solution for a lens shade?

Ulrich

Greg Blank
7-Mar-2009, 04:58
Thats a pretty camera, how does it feel in terms of construction...well built?

To answer your question you could go with a Cokin Matte Box, they come standard with a Z system holder. This Matte box though is rather large designed for Movie or High end Video Cameras. In the Cokin line, personally I prefer the Z system standard holder, but it does not come with a bellows and Cokin does not make a bellows for it.

Lee also makes a holder and does supply standard and wide angle bellows each is a separate cost item and they are not cheap.

The main consideration (I my minds eye) is whether the item will limit the access to the lens I find most holders do, so what ever you decide make sure what you buy can
easily be removed to set the lens.

Robert A. Zeichner
7-Mar-2009, 05:21
this is pretty affordable and has worked very well for me:
http://web.mac.com/razeichner/iWeb/RAZP%20large%20pix/Shade%20pg%201.html

p_markowski
7-Mar-2009, 08:50
I went with the Lee system, I also have the UV step rings to dedicated for each lens. I don't have a problem with lens accessibility. I did however get the LEE Filters Lens Hood - Standard - with TWO Filter Slots from B&H, and the filters I wanted there was a 3-6week waiting list. I therefore went to imagegearinc.com. They had a couple of filters made within 5 days (sourced from Harrison & Harrison). The system works well for the lenses I currents run with 90mm being the widest so far.

Ulrich Drolshagen
8-Mar-2009, 02:20
Thats a pretty camera, how does it feel in terms of construction...well built?

I don't know enough other field cameras to give a comparative judgment. It satisfies my criteria. It is extremely light weight, has the longest bellows of its class and is affordable. I got it from someone who bought it just to decide whether it would be an alternative to his Ebony. He fortunately decided to keep his Ebony and part with the Chamonix. Me thinks, it was just as with someone buying a small roadster as an alternative to his large BMW. If he has to decide which one would have to go, he would much likely stick with his BMW despite the fact that the roadster may be as well built as the BMW.
That said, it's a fine camera and I like the minimalistic approach but I still have to get it in use and expose some frames with it to decide on the ergonomics.

@all
Thank you for your hints so far. My problem in considering a matte box is, that I don't have any experiences with such a device. I do not know how they are mounted to the camera. When I see one offered it is generally designed for some particular camera.
I do not know about the use of filters either. I have a whole set of filters for my 135 gear which fit to the thread of the two lenses I have for the Chamonix. But I do not know whether they would limit the movements of the cam. Is it advisable to use larger filters and a reduction ring?

Ulrich

Gordon Moat
8-Mar-2009, 13:51
In general, using a larger filter with a step up ring can avoid vignetting. It does depend upon the lens, the coverage, and the angle of view. Big filters can cost big money, but in general going with the largest size you need, and then using step up rings for your smaller filtered lenses is a good plan.

You might want to check EBAY for lens hoods, compendiums, lens shades, or matte boxes. The really expensive matte boxes are often for video or motion picture cameras, and they can be huge and heavy. One you can look for is the Lindahl Bellows, often appearing used on EBAY for low cost.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Greg Blank
11-Mar-2009, 19:44
I like that. I have been toying with designing something like that (with barn doors) myself, I have several wide angle lens so wider than my LEE holder would be better.

I used to have a spring clip holder with the flippable doors but alas it flipped off the lens and down into a ravine.

this is pretty affordable and has worked very well for me:
http://web.mac.com/razeichner/iWeb/RAZP%20large%20pix/Shade%20pg%201.html