PDA

View Full Version : Dagor!

Pfeiffer Duckett
6-Mar-2009, 21:54
What is a reasonable price for a 9 1/2" gold dot in a shutter? Assuming, of course it is clean?

Bill_1856
6-Mar-2009, 22:09
There is no such thing as a "Reasonable" price for a 9 1/2" Gold Dot Dagor. They are all grossly overpriced.

Steve Hamley
6-Mar-2009, 22:16
I bought one in Copal that has a very, very slight separation in the front cell that's only really visible if you remove the cell from the shutter, but otherwise perfect, for $550. If it's truly mint and pretty in a factory mount, I'd probably start it at $650-750 and see what you get.

Cheers, Steve

Pfeiffer Duckett
6-Mar-2009, 23:15
I bought one in Copal that has a very, very slight separation in the front cell that's only really visible if you remove the cell from the shutter, but otherwise perfect, for $550. If it's truly mint and pretty in a factory mount, I'd probably start it at $650-750 and see what you get.

Cheers, Steve

Sadly, I'm on the buying end of things...

Jim Galli
6-Mar-2009, 23:34
Before the meltdown I remember watching one go for $1800 on evilbay. Money is tighter now but the rare stuff still finds buyers.

Pfeiffer Duckett
7-Mar-2009, 00:34
shoot. So the 9 1/2" draws a bigger price tag than the 12"? I better start trying to find that money tree...

Steve Hamley
7-Mar-2009, 15:55
No, the 9-1/2" should be cheaper. You can probably find a nice shooter for $600 $700 range. Even though times are tight, the really pretty, near mint stuff like Dagors, Deardorffs, Cookes, etc. seem to be holding up quite well.

Cheers, Steve

Steve M Hostetter
7-Mar-2009, 18:55
a 12" Dagor goldring in Ilex, (shutter need cleaned)cost me 1295.00 @ B&H in 97

Steve Hamley
7-Mar-2009, 19:03
$1295 wouldn't be unreasonable today although the money is worth less.

Cheers, Steve

Don Dudenbostel
7-Mar-2009, 19:44
I just purchased a M- Golden Dagor 8-1/4" in a very clean Compur shutter from B&H for $649 and a very late standard 12" in an Ilex 4 for $300 off ebay. There were no issues with the 8-1/4 and only a minor coating defect on the rear element of the 12". I bought both in the past 2 weeks. The 12" is only 2 digits under where the Golden was supposed to start.

Don Dudenbostel
7-Mar-2009, 19:48

Cheers, Steve

Steve:

Did Harley Ferguson sell you a dud?

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2009, 05:55
No, Harley didn't have a 9-1/2". The 8-1/4" did have cleaning marks though. But that's cosmetic. And the 9-1/2 isn't a dud by any means. Very sharp, and $550 was a bit low for a mint 9-1/2 in Copal, so I suspected there was something somewhere.

Cheers, Steve

Don Dudenbostel
8-Mar-2009, 06:43
Was just poking a little fun at our friend HF.

There are still plenty of overpriced Dagors out there but it does appear the prices are starting to drop to where they belong. Eventually Kevin Camera and Lens and Repro will get tired of dusting them off and reduce the price to where the market is. Dagors are much like the pre asph 35mm 1.4 Summilux that Leica made. The cult following drove them out of sight in price. The difference is the Dagor is a very fine lens and the old 35 Summilux is only a fair lens.

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2009, 16:52
Don,

Yep, I know. He was wanting more for the Dagors and Artars having seen high eBay prices at the time I bought them from him, wow, probably over three years ago. But I told him that he should have saved the caps, boxes, and not used those push-on filter adapters that wear the enamel off the barrels and gold rims. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just had to laugh and tell him part of the premium price is cosmetic condition since most people aren't buying Dagors and Artars to make a living with these days.

Cheers,

Steve

Don Dudenbostel
8-Mar-2009, 18:03
Steve,

We need to get together for lunch again and invite Harley. Let's see if we can get him to pay. HaHa.

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2009, 18:08
Don,

We'd both starve to death first!! :D

Steve

Don Dudenbostel
8-Mar-2009, 19:24
No kidding. I think I told you about filling in at his studio on a Saturday while he was out sick. He said he would pay me well for the day. I ran B&W film, made a bunch of B&W prints and shot two jobs. I probably made a couple thousand dollars for him that day. He paid me well, $25 or was it $20.

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2009, 19:55
Don,

I'm going to be quiet now...

Cheers,

Steve