PDA

View Full Version : Another nut: home made Puyo-Pulligny lens

Marko Trebusak
4-Mar-2009, 23:50
Inspired by Jan's (Jan_6568) thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-19092.html) about making replica Puyo-Pulligny lens and with some ignorance of optics, I ordered two lenses from Edmund optics and started experimenting. After some ground glass viewing, I decide that for a start I'll set lens up to be 200 mm f4 lens. That was in January. Two days ago I decided, that it was enough experimenting and actually went out to see what will come out of this adventure. And here is my first result. It was taken wide open, as currently I don't have iris diaphragm for my lens. What to say? I went through countless threads on soft focus lenses and their usage, but this was the first time I actually made something with my hands and my camera. So I leave it up to you folks to leave criticism and ideas.

I would like to thank Jan for providing me access to book on the lens.

Cheers,
Marko

Donald Miller
5-Mar-2009, 01:39
Inspired by Jan's (Jan_6568) thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-19092.html) about making replica Puyo-Pulligny lens and with some ignorance of optics, I ordered two lenses from Edmund optics and started experimenting. After some ground glass viewing, I decide that for a start I'll set lens up to be 200 mm f4 lens. That was in January. Two days ago I decided, that it was enough experimenting and actually went out to see what will come out of this adventure. And here is my first result. It was taken wide open, as currently I don't have iris diaphragm for my lens. What to say? I went through countless threads on soft focus lenses and their usage, but this was the first time I actually made something with my hands and my camera. So I leave it up to you folks to leave criticism and ideas.

I would like to thank Jan for providing me access to book on the lens.

Cheers,
Marko

Hi Marko,

A most interesting image. I really like the result you have obtained. I do notice a demarcation of tonal value in the foreground at about 25% or so in from the right edge. Is this due to the lens or is this actually within the site you photographed?

Once again, thanks for sharing this. I like the result a lot and I am not normally a soft image aficionado.

Best regards,
Donald Miller

Marko Trebusak
5-Mar-2009, 08:00
Thank's Donald. The demarcation you noticed is a developing problem. I think that there was too much weting agent and resulting foam caused uneven development.

Cheers,
Marko

Jan_6568
18-Mar-2009, 12:47
Marko,
very nice lens you built, however the effect does not look like Adjustable.

best,

Jan

C. D. Keth
20-Mar-2009, 19:14
If that is wide open at f4, I'd love to see something at f8 and f11. This is too wild for me but I bet by those stops it will be pleasantly soft.

Martin Miksch
21-Mar-2009, 03:22
Marko, what part of Slovenia you are coming from? I am from Austria near the border, about 35km from Murska Sobota and I did a lot of shooting near the Mura river and around.
Maybe we can arrange a meeting.^^
Kind Regard
Martin