PDA

View Full Version : Want to Buy Wisner - STOP ME :)

babavaga
4-Mar-2009, 17:05
Good day.

I decided to buy good wood camera for 5x7 contact prints.
There are only several cameras avaliable in my region: Osaka 5x7, ArtWorks 5x7 (wich are Tachiharas clone) and Wisner Technical Field. Prices are very close.
After communication with sellers I selected Wisner. Am I right, or do You say: "Dammit! What are You DOING?"

Please stop me, if I'm wrong...

PS I use LF only for myself making contacts and scanning with Epson v750. Most usage in field, but sometimes I take portraits. Lens are 120, 210 and 210/370 (rare use).

eddie
4-Mar-2009, 17:23
buy a chamonix (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/)...:)

Kevin Crisp
4-Mar-2009, 17:29
Where are you buying a Wisner from?

David Karp
4-Mar-2009, 17:38
Forget the wood.

Buy a Walker Titan SF. Good value. Great camera. In my experience, Mike Walker is totally reliable.

Steve Hamley
4-Mar-2009, 17:53
Sinar Norma.

Cheers,

Steve

Gem Singer
4-Mar-2009, 17:58
If the Wisner tech. field is in excellent condition and is priced lower than the Tachihara cameras, go for it. It's an excellent wooden folding flatbed camera.

If not, a Tachi will easily enable you to do all the things you mentioned. I have owned (and used) both of these cameras.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both makes. Purchase the camera that best suits your budget.

AJ Edmondson
4-Mar-2009, 17:59
I have a Wisner 4x5 Tech Field and though I use a Wista Metal Field almost exclusively now I have no real complaints with the Wisner. If you opt to go with Wisner I would recommend the "Traditional" rather than the Tech Field! The TF's have features I never really found any use for and are more "fiddly" because of the extra knobs. I used a Canham 5x7 for a couple of years (the wooden model instead of the metal version) and while it was a superb camera, and Keith an absolute gentleman to deal with, I just never warmed up to the format!

john collins
4-Mar-2009, 18:08
Chamonix, it's an excellent camera.

babavaga
4-Mar-2009, 18:21
wow!! Thank You for the fast answers.

Charmonix is not avaliable in Russia :( and it little bit more expensive than I want to )
Wisner I'm interested in is from www.igorcamera.com (http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format.htm).
Does Walker accept long lens? I didn't find such models on their site :((( maybe they are discounted and can be found used?
Sinar... it's perfect, but... not my camera )
Gem Singer, thank )) I'm doing exactly so!
AJ Edmondson, does it really slower work? Or can I used to?

Ken Lee
4-Mar-2009, 18:47
I have a 4x5 Technical Field and it's great.

Kevin Crisp
4-Mar-2009, 18:55
The long bellows draw of the Wisner can be a real plus. They are generally useful and well made cameras and having quite a number of wood and metal LF cameras I can't say I necessarily prefer either. Go for it!

David Karp
4-Mar-2009, 18:56
I use a Fuji 450C with my Walker Titan.

Gem Singer
4-Mar-2009, 19:06
Hi Dave,

It seems that Mike Walker doesn't make a 5X7 Titan.

The only 5X7 camera that shows up on the Walker website is a 5X7 XL (wide angle camera). It's maximum bellows extension is listed as 320 mm.

David Karp
4-Mar-2009, 19:07
Oops Doc, you are right.

The 5x7 is wide angle only.

Sorry babavaga.

Brian Ellis
4-Mar-2009, 19:21
wow!! Thank You for the fast answers.

Charmonix is not avaliable in Russia :( and it little bit more expensive than I want to )
Wisner I'm interested in is from www.igorcamera.com (http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format.htm).
Does Walker accept long lens? I didn't find such models on their site :((( maybe they are discounted and can be found used?
Sinar... it's perfect, but... not my camera )
Gem Singer, thank )) I'm doing exactly so!
AJ Edmondson, does it really slower work? Or can I used to?

I'm not sure Walker even makes a 5x7 but if he does I'm sure it would be considerably more expensive than Igor's price for the Wisner. Even a 4x5 Walker new is a good bit more than Igor's price for the 5x7 Wisner, at least in the U.S.

Bill_1856
4-Mar-2009, 19:21
Get it.

Lee Hamiel
4-Mar-2009, 19:23
I previously owned a Wisner 4x5 Tech & was very pleased with the camera & the build quality - if the camera is in good condition I would not hesitate to buy it if it meets your needs.

Good luck

Kuzano
4-Mar-2009, 19:44
Don't know about Wisner, but I know I got rid of my Wista because the lens hole for the lens board is below center, as an alternative to acheive more fall on the front standards. I was concerned that I would be limited to the lens boards specifically for that camera.

Anything like that on the Wisner. Lens boards can be expensive if you have no alternative supply.

PS. I'm holding my last Wista lens board up to my web camera so you can see what I am talking about.

Robert Brummitt
4-Mar-2009, 19:45
I would think hard before investing in a camera that has no support from the maker any more. I own a 4x5 Tech field. Love it. But, now with no way to communicate with Ron Wisner. I'm affraid I won't be able to get the camera repaired.
As an example, I have a graflok back to my Wisner and one day a spring broke in two. I was dead in the water until I found a custom spring shop that made a new one. That took a year.
But if you want a Wisner. Go for IT!

Gem Singer
4-Mar-2009, 19:51
The Wisner and the Wista are two different designs.

The Wisner takes 4X4 wooden lens boards, Wista uses Linhof Tech type lens boards.

Besides, we're talking about a 5X7 Wisner Tech Field here. Those cameras were priced quite high when i owned my Wisners. Igor's price seems quite reasonable for the 5X7 model.

Gary J. McCutcheon
4-Mar-2009, 19:53
I have been using a Wisner Tech Field for almost ten years with no problems and Richard Ritter can repair anything.

jnantz
4-Mar-2009, 20:17
igor's is a great place to buy from.
make sure you get some film holders,
sometimes 5x7 holders are not easy to find.

have fun!
john

Brian Vuillemenot
4-Mar-2009, 20:27
Go for it- I have Wisners in 4X5 and 8X10 and am very pleased with them. Ron's crappy business reputation hurt the image of the camera, but they are generally very well made, sturdy, and intuitive to use. The resale value has come down quite a bit due to the bad business reputation, so you can get a smokin' deal on a used one. Do not worry about no support from the Wisner company- after all, we're talking about a wood and leather box that can be repaired easily by any competent woodworker should the need arise, or just jerry-rigged to work by a not so competent woodworker as I've done with my 4X5 for the last 6 or 7 years.

Henry Suryo
4-Mar-2009, 20:45
I would recommend the Wisner, and Igor's price is really good, a used 5x7 Tech used to be around $1,800 a few years back when the company was active. Perhaps people are put off by the cameras because of the customer support, or lack of, now. But I don't think this should be a deterrent, the cameras and parts are of fairly straightforward, traditional design and a lot of skilled craftsman working with wood and brass can easily repair and fabricate parts. Richard Ritter's probably the best go-to person given his Zone VI background.

The cameras themselves are well-made, handle well and the triple extension design is definitely a plus for those long lenses. The wood parts are beefy, almost overkill, but it feels solid and secure when locked down. I have heard that there are lemon Wisners, that somehow slipped quality control, but it's good that you're buying from a reputable dealer as shipping back and forth would be expensive to Russia. The lensboards would be nicer if they're 6" inches or larger, especially as you move up in format and/or have to use physically big lenses. Probably not a big concern for 5x7. What is also nice about the 5x7 is, if you ever had the itch to do 7x17 panoramas, the bed and chassis are the same for both cameras and panoramic conversions used to be available from the company. If you can find one or have custom made one, know that the camera will be adequate for 7x17. In fact, that's a plus I like on my 7x17 Tech/Expedition. Weight and bulk are manageable in the field in a medium size case or backpack. My 30 lbs Tech on the other hand...

Michael Mutmansky
4-Mar-2009, 21:19
If you are considering used, then I may have a camera that you may find useful. I was planning to put it on here in a couple of weeks, so I don't have photos of it yet. Its a Shen Hao FCL57-A that includes a 5x7 and 4x5 back and a bunch of other things. It would come in much cheaper than the Wisner, and since it is built around the Phillips inspired design, it is more rigid than the Wisner, and just about any other traditional wood camera.

Regardless, you should look at Badger Graphics for the Shen Hao cameras. Reasonably well made, very good prices, and good capabilities.

---Michael

Michael Mutmansky
4-Mar-2009, 21:20
<<<accidental double post removed>>>

Kirk Fry
4-Mar-2009, 22:26
Who fixes all those Dorff's out there? I bet they can fix Wisner's. Go for it.

K

Steve Barber
5-Mar-2009, 07:03
The Wisner and the Wista are two different designs.

The Wisner takes 4X4 wooden lens boards, Wista uses Linhof Tech type lens boards.

Besides, we're talking about a 5X7 Wisner Tech Field here. Those cameras were priced quite high when i owned my Wisners. Igor's price seems quite reasonable for the 5X7 model.

The Wisner 5x7 takes the same 51/4x51/4 lens board as the Wisner 8x10.

AJ Edmondson
5-Mar-2009, 07:52
I don't think that it necessarily slows you down, to me it was just aggravating. The Wisners are not great for shorter focal lengths (my opinion) so keep that in mind if you prefer shorter focal lengths! It is a well-made camera and I never had any problems with stability. The same knobs that are used for rise and fall on the front standard are used for tilt and I was not overly fond of that. The rear (on the Tech-Field) has additional rise (in the focal plane) but it is four more knobs to lock down and they are somewhat awkward. I agree with Ken that it is a great camera and the fact is that most cameras have some aspects which can be aggravating. Hope that helps!

evan clarke
5-Mar-2009, 07:54
I have friends who have 8x10 and 5x7 2 stage Tachiharas and they are great, light, rigid cameras. I have never heard of a bad Tachihara...Evan Clarke

Ken Lee
5-Mar-2009, 10:06
You can get a Wisner-to-Technika adaptor board. I got one from SK Grimes. There are probably others out there.

eddie
5-Mar-2009, 11:28

yes it is. talk to hugo zhang here on the forum......but as you say a bit more $$$$

Bruce Barlow
5-Mar-2009, 12:41
Who fixes all those Dorff's out there? I bet they can fix Wisner's. Go for it.

K

Richard Ritter fixes 'Dorffs.

He makes a good living fixing Wisners.

RichardRitter
5-Mar-2009, 13:47
After communication with sellers I selected Wisner. Am I right, or do You say: "Dammit! What are You DOING?"

Best choice. Wisner are easier to repair. Then any of the other talked about in this thread.

Been repairing then for a long time. I also keep both sizes of Wisner lens boards in stock. You may want to think about having the front lens locks change to threaded inserts. The little wood screws Wisner uses do fall out. Painful when a lens hits the ground.

Mike Herring
5-Mar-2009, 19:38
Buy a used Sinar. This is the most configurable system ever designed. You can shoot 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10. I have had them all and this is THE best.
For the BEST quality, I would go with Linhof and Arca-Swiss.

Have fun,
Mike

Good day.

I decided to buy good wood camera for 5x7 contact prints.
There are only several cameras avaliable in my region: Osaka 5x7, ArtWorks 5x7 (wich are Tachiharas clone) and Wisner Technical Field. Prices are very close.

PS I use LF only for myself making contacts and scanning with Epson v750. Most usage in field, but sometimes I take portraits. Lens are 120, 210 and 210/370 (rare use).

Archphoto
7-Mar-2009, 04:02
Sinar is as good as Linhof and Acra.
Sinar is the Lego-box: you buy what you need to get the camera you want.

Linhof has a great 5x7" Technica.

Peter

Herb Cunningham
7-Mar-2009, 08:45
check and see if Ron Wisner is still in business. If you need it fixed at some future point, that would be an issue, although I expect Richard Ritter could fix a wisner without any problem.

I had a 5x7 traditional, and it was too heavy. My choice these days is Arca because they are metal and robust.

Canham woodies are better made than wisner. They have metal inserts rather than just wood screws for the fasteners, so you don't have to worry with wood screws stripping out the holes and the related headaches that come from that.

Still, 1200 for a Tech Field is about 35 -40% of a new one.

Peter De Smidt
7-Mar-2009, 12:42
Unfortunately, my experience with a couple of Wisners mirrors Dakotah's.

Donald Miller
7-Mar-2009, 13:09
My LF photography these days is done with a Wisner Tech Field 5X7...no complaints on this end although I realize that not everyone has the same experience. I have shot with 8X10 Deardorffs (3) at various times and Zone VI. The Wisner that I use is as good and in many ways better than the other cameras that I have used.

CP Goerz
7-Mar-2009, 13:16
Despite Mr W's business practices the 5x7 as well as other sizes he made are good cameras. I have a 5x7 and like it a lot, a bit more complicated than a Dorff 5x7 to set/fold and a bit more heft too but its worth it.

Photojeep
7-Mar-2009, 22:08
I've owned and used a 4x5 tech field for about 8-9 years. I had one problem after about 4 years that required sending the camera back to Wisner for repair. I got it back earlier than promised and there was no charge. Since then, I have had absolutely nothing go wrong with the camera that I didn't do myself (broke the frame of my bag bellows :mad: ).

I understand that Mr. Wisner was, um, difficult to deal with for some of you but I never dealt with him personally and my camera is incredibly well built and very easy to use. If I had it to do over again, I would buy it again.

Just my two cents.

Randy

babavaga
8-Mar-2009, 02:03
Unfortunately, my experience with a couple of Wisners mirrors Dakotah's.

I have had one Linhof... there was need in repair some times but it is working even if some parts has been crashed...

--------------------

So I understend that Wisner is a good decigion for me. I'll try to come to an agreement with Igor (unfortunately he doesn't want to accept PayPal from Russia)... Otherwise I'll take Deardorff and will be happy with ))

Mike.

Gary Samson
8-Mar-2009, 14:48
Here is one more vote for the Wisner. I use 4x5, 11x14 and a 12x20 Wisner's and I am pleased with their performance and versatility. The 4x5 Technical Field has been used for almost twenty years without a problem.

AJ Edmondson
8-Mar-2009, 14:55
I think it is a shame that Ron apparently fell victim to his own PR. During the early days he was very easy to deal with and produced great cameras (my opinion). My Tech Field (4x5 SN 999) has never given me any problems and the main reason I stopped using it was that I stopped using really long focal lengths and the TF just wasn't designed with short focal-lengths in mind.

Archphoto
9-Mar-2009, 12:39
Actualy, I think NOBODY is going to stop you buying the camera you hopefully deserve :D

Peter