PDA

View Full Version : 100mm Schneider Symmar F5.6

Dave Tolcher
13-Aug-2001, 13:08
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive lens to start playing with my new LF c amera. The lens that came with the camera has a non functioning shutter. I have done some research and have come to the conclusion that something in the 90-150 range is what I want to start with. I have called various dealers and have been persuaded by one that a 100mm Schneider Symmar F5.6 would be a good value starte r, not a lot of movement on 5 X 4 but good quality and value (#139ukp). I cant f ind much on this lens in any of the 5X4 forums which worries me a little... Has anyone experience of this lens on 5X4 ?

Thanks, in advance

Dave

Bob Salomon
13-Aug-2001, 13:10
It does not cover 4x5

Dave Tolcher
13-Aug-2001, 13:33
Bob, thks - I guess that covers why !!

Dave

paul owen
13-Aug-2001, 15:34
Dave, I use dthe 100mm apo symmar on 6x9 - super sharp!! But I have to agree with Bob et al that it certainly won't cover 5x4. Have you thought of a replacement shutter unit (if the glass is in good condition) or a new 150 apo symmar can be had from Robert White for a approx #350. Regards Paul

Dave Tolcher
13-Aug-2001, 17:04
Thanks all, it looks like I was being misled by the salesman - which surprises me for a reputable LF store. I asked several times about coverage and was assured that it would cover but with very little movements. I did a google search while I was on the phone to the guy and found the technical sheet which didnt list 5X4 and asked..... time to find a new store :-) To be fair he did want me to spend another 50ukp but dont they always ?

Walter Glover
13-Aug-2001, 19:13
Dave:

Exercise some patience and get the scratch together for the sensational Super-Symmar XL 110mm 1:5.6

Failing that you could try for a second hand 120mm Super Anglon or Nikkor, or a 115mm Grandagon.

These lenses will really open up the outstanding capabilitiesof working with an adjustable camera.

Since you're in the UK you might try Robert White in Poole or Linhof & Studio in London.

Cheers ... Walter

William Marderness
13-Aug-2001, 20:17
How about a 135mm. They are inexpensive and they cover. This is my favorate focal length for landscapes. The G-claron 150mm is even cheaper. It is very small and light, and is great for macro.

Dave Tolcher
15-Aug-2001, 11:12
An update, the lens arrived in the post this morning and I must say that there is no vignetting at all on 5X4 and looks sharp corner to corner. The lens was actually a symmar-S and has linhof engraved on it, I dont know whether this makes any difference. I will try some plates this afternoon and see what comes out.

Thanks

Dave

Bob Salomon
15-Aug-2001, 12:28
The current Apo Symmar(72?) coverage 145mm circle at f22 which does not cover 4x5" fully according to Schneider.

The Symmar S was also rated at 145mm as was the Symmar 100mm.

Bob Salomon
15-Aug-2001, 12:38
The current Apo Symmar(72?) coverage 145mm circle at f22 which does not cover 4x5" fully according to Schneider.

The Symmar S was also rated at 145mm as was the Symmar 100mm.

Check your coverage with film. Not the naked eye.

Dave Tolcher
18-Aug-2001, 09:40
I processed my first negs this morning with the 100mm schneider and apart for processing defects and scatches from getting the film out of the holder was pretty pleased.

Perhaps I need some help on coverage - the neg is even to the naked eye from corner to corner in density terms. Does coverage mean area of sharpness expected or even illumination of the negative? I had expected a smaller area of sharpness than illumination.

Sorry if I am labouring this a little.

Best regards

Dave