PDA

View Full Version : March portraits

eddie
1-Mar-2009, 07:12
hello all,

well the trend continues......i continue to shoot portraits around the beginning of the month.

these are 8x10 wet plate images using an unnamed 19 inch brass RR. about 2 sec. at f8

i am practicing shooting formal wedding shots using wet plate. please comment or make suggestions. (obviously the second was a fun shot but comments are welcome)

thanks

eddie

eddie
1-Mar-2009, 07:20
here are a few more portraits from the shoot.

i used my cooke 15 inch portrait lens. the 1st three are 8x10 black aluminum.

the 1st three are with the same lens but later in the day. i like the 1st shot as it has her lips in it. i am not too crazy about the pose though. i dialed in #3 diffusion afer listening to the laurie's comments. i was trying to soften everything up. the exposure was a bit short, about 1 sec. i like the mood of the darkness though.

the 2nd was more what i was looking for in the pose and the exposure. i wish i had included the lips more in this shot. i think the wind may have kicked up. f4.5 with #1 diffusion dialed in. about 3 sec.

the 3rd was a 5 sec exposure (about 5pm here in NY) f4.5 at #1 diffusion.

the last one was my exposure test shot. she does not like it all that much. she was squinting into the sun and caused some wrinkles. (i am learning here). i am trying to get some contrast in the plate. it was overcast but the sun was not fully diffused. shot at f4.5 with #2 diffusion dialed in. 1 sec. 5x7 aluminum

all shot using old work horse collodion and KCN fix.

all comments welcome. i need to get this stuff down.

eddie

frank hoerauf
1-Mar-2009, 15:11
heres some pics of my friend Mr Eddie Gunks AKA EDDIE. These are my first attempt at glass wet plate. The first two pics were made using my Gundlach 19" 4.5, the third photo was my 16" petzval f/4. These pics are not for the weak at heart, make sure all children are out of the room when viewing, they are VERY scary to look at............

frank hoerauf
1-Mar-2009, 15:16
This was my favorite of the bunch made using a Unar lens wide open F/4.5 ish. on 5x7 black aluminum, using John Coffer's patented "old workhorse" collodion. KCN fix. And yes wet plate is addicting...........

Steve M Hostetter
1-Mar-2009, 16:56
here are a few more portraits from the shoot.

i used my cooke 15 inch portrait lens. the 1st three are 8x10 black aluminum.

the 1st three are with the same lens but later in the day. i like the 1st shot as it has her lips in it. i am not too crazy about the pose though. i dialed in #3 diffusion afer listening to the laurie's comments. i was trying to soften everything up. the exposure was a bit short, about 1 sec. i like the mood of the darkness though.

the 2nd was more what i was looking for in the pose and the exposure. i wish i had included the lips more in this shot. i think the wind may have kicked up. f4.5 with #1 diffusion dialed in. about 3 sec.

the 3rd was a 5 sec exposure (about 5pm here in NY) f4.5 at #1 diffusion.

the last one was my exposure test shot. she does not like it all that much. she was squinting into the sun and caused some wrinkles. (i am learning here). i am trying to get some contrast in the plate. it was overcast but the sun was not fully diffused. shot at f4.5 with #2 diffusion dialed in. 1 sec. 5x7 aluminum

all shot using old work horse collodion and KCN fix.

all comments welcome. i need to get this stuff down.

eddie I'd like to see you introduce studio lighting for a nice contrast ratio

eddie
1-Mar-2009, 17:17
I'd like to see you introduce studio lighting for a nice contrast ratio

yeah, i am with you steve. i have been lusting after some lights to shoot with wet plate but they are price prohibitive. you need 5-8 florescent bulbs that are powerful and 65ooK....they are about $40 each and then you have to set them up.....and ofcourse 2-3 light banks would be great.....

cheers

Steve M Hostetter
1-Mar-2009, 17:59
Well If you ever come across some money I'd try a Broncolor 3200w/s primo 4 pack with one head in a 12x16" soft box and one 32" reflect-a-sal gold/silver mix disc for fill light... Jacks camera in Muncie IN will usually have several Bronies used ,,, I call them the little New York of Indiana when It comes to exotic LF and lighting equipment in general.. I know Broncolor can be expensive but it has the most punch for your money when it comes to raw power..! f32 through that head reflector(softbox) combo will produce at least f64 @10ft. maybe f128 which is unhead of with conventional lighting
in the same class.. Also bear in mind that a one head set-up will allow a full dump of 3200 w/s though your single main head. Also the Primo pack is not an asymetrical pack so it's design lends itself to a one head config... So you might get away w/ a cheaper 1600 w/s Primo 2 I've seen em for 500.00
My experiance is w/ a Primo 4 you need to heads plugged in and one pointing away (just to cut the power output in half.. Then using an aperture of f4.5 with iso 25 you'll need to be set on the lowest power setting w/ the s/b I mentioned. I can't imagine the wet plate needing a huge amount more... I will need to mention I usually use my main around 5' from subect which increases brightness and I tend to have a stop or two bellows factor involved aswell

Joe Smigiel
1-Mar-2009, 20:56
Then using an aperture of f4.5 with iso 25 you'll need to be set on the lowest power setting w/ the s/b I mentioned. I can't imagine the wet plate needing a huge amount more...

Wetplate has an ISO equivalent of about 0.5 to 1.0 so it needs a lot of actinic exposure to produce an image. I just purchased some Speeedotron packs and heads including 9600ws and 4800ws quad lights. I'm hoping to squeak out a one-pop exposure with these at f/4. We'll see...

Ray Bidegain
1-Mar-2009, 20:59
Wetplate has an ISO equivalent of about 0.5 to 1.0 so it needs a lot of actinic exposure to produce an image. I just purchased some Speeedotron packs and heads including 9600ws and 4800ws quad lights. I'm hoping to squeak out a one-pop exposure with these at f/4. We'll see...

I tried an exposure of f/4 with 2400 ws of speedotron and got nothing, I will be interested to hear how it goes Joe.

Ray Bidegain

jnantz
1-Mar-2009, 21:45
sorry for sounding so clueless, but would neodymium/close to daylight balanced flood lights work?
i picked up a ton of lowell L lights ( the old - first ones ) from jacks years ago, and use them with floods.
they work great. the lights come in a "kit" - 4,6, 10lights &C and the bulbs come from
the bulbman . com or grey supply in east chicago indiana ...

they sometimes sell on ebay for a song, and like the original larson soff boxes
they are worth their weight in gold ...

- john

Steve M Hostetter
2-Mar-2009, 09:46
Ok, I did a test w/ a Primo 4- 3200 w/s burst from 5' at iso 3 ( lowest the meter goes) and the reading shows f8.0 and 6/10's

using the 12x16" softbox

eddie
2-Mar-2009, 10:07
Ok, I did a test w/ a Primo 4- 3200 w/s burst from 5' at iso 3 ( lowest the meter goes) and the reading shows f8.0 and 6/10's

using the 12x16" softbox

oh baby! sounds promising. i am not too familiar with strobes.....do they throw daylight colored light? sounds like i need to stop by your place and play with the lights...:)

Steve M Hostetter
2-Mar-2009, 10:11
hehe,, come on over... yes daylight balanced ... Also bear in mind that with a Pulso 4 head you can focus the beam of light into wide spead or narrow.. For the test I used it set halfway

You could also get more light with a polished parabolic reflector if more drastic measures are needed but at the same time you could posibly damage their eyesight .. I know if you tried that with my(now sold) 6400 w/s Pulso you could set someones hair on fire
umm,,well heck at least you'd get the shot :D jk

I'd like to start doing wetplate myself ,,, I was hoping I'd have enough light to get f4.5 - 4 stops bellows factor which would be perfect for what I wanna do which is 11x14 macro wetplate:D but I'll have the advantage of multi pops

MenacingTourist
2-Mar-2009, 10:39
hello all,

well the trend continues......i continue to shoot portraits around the beginning of the month.

these are 8x10 wet plate images using an unnamed 19 inch brass RR. about 2 sec. at f8

i am practicing shooting formal wedding shots using wet plate. please comment or make suggestions. (obviously the second was a fun shot but comments are welcome)

thanks

eddie

Eddie,

I like the contemporary clothing and hair with wet plate but for some reason the black top you shot them on bugs me. The snow on the ground and winter trees look great but the parking lot ground makes it less "special".

I had an illustration prof always tell us to "consider the background" and in your case I think it's more like "consider the ground". Everything else is working (for me) and I especially like the "fun" shot. Who says wet plate has to be so stoic?

See you around,

Alan.

goamules
2-Mar-2009, 11:18
I guess light-wise I'm pretty lucky in Arizona for wetplate. Most of the time a wide open petzval is too fast outdoors for my lenscap shutter technique. This halfplate collodion was taken in full shade, the subject facing NE. Vitax at f5.6 and 2 sec.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3312452261_b843f817b0.jpg

Ray Bidegain
2-Mar-2009, 12:17
hehe,, come on over... yes daylight balanced ... Also bear in mind that with a Pulso 4 head you can focus the beam of light into wide spead or narrow.. For the test I used it set halfway

You could also get more light with a polished parabolic reflector if more drastic measures are needed but at the same time you could posibly damage their eyesight .. I know if you tried that with my(now sold) 6400 w/s Pulso you could set someones hair on fire
umm,,well heck at least you'd get the shot :D jk

I'd like to start doing wetplate myself ,,, I was hoping I'd have enough light to get f4.5 - 4 stops bellows factor which would be perfect for what I wanna do which is 11x14 macro wetplate:D but I'll have the advantage of multi pops

I think the question will be how well the flash tubes are corrected for UV. If they have an effective UV coating you may not go far in exposing a collodion emulsion. I would be interested to hear if you give it a try.

Ray

Harold_4074
2-Mar-2009, 13:37
Eddie,

Since the basic silver halide is blue-sensitive, I wonder why your subjects' lips are so pale. Is this an artifact of exposure and the shape of the H&D curve, or do you just have exceptionally pale subjects? I'm not sure that makeup would fix this and still keep the classic look, unless it was done very carefully and with an understanding of the spectral sensitivity issue.

Anyway, I love the pictures and look forward to your future efforts.

Harold

eddie
2-Mar-2009, 14:37
these two women are pretty pale. they may have had some lipstick on as well.

below is a photo of my wife. she put on some lip stick...some kind of wild violetlpurple color i think....and her robe was blue as well.

Steve M Hostetter
2-Mar-2009, 20:06
I think the question will be how well the flash tubes are corrected for UV. If they have an effective UV coating you may not go far in exposing a collodion emulsion. I would be interested to hear if you give it a try.

Ray Hello Ray,, UV protection glass dome is fitted around the flash tube and modeling bulb.. I'll be sure to post any results

Joe Smigiel
2-Mar-2009, 23:04

using the 12x16" softbox

What's the shock wave like? :)

So at ISO 0.7 you'd at f/4 +6/10's and let's add in a stop for bellows extension and you're around f/3.5 or so. But what about the spectrum of the lights? I'd guess another stop would be lost due to the restricted UV/blue sensitivity...so f/2.5ish.

Lose the softbox and they might be enough to approach one pop at f/4, assuming the lights pass UV.

I may be building one of those fluorescent banks after all. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the source, I might suggest gelling the lights and filtering all the long wavelengths out when doing portraits because that light isn't affecting the plate, but it is adding to the intensity and discomfort the sitter feels.

Joe

frank hoerauf
3-Mar-2009, 07:46
Joe , Thanks for posting the article for beginner wetplate guys like myself. I found it to be very informative and an interesting read.........Frank

Miguel Coquis
3-Mar-2009, 09:43
Granddaughter
4x5
scan neg
http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Mentor%20View%20Finder/Jess-00-bis.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
3-Mar-2009, 10:46
What's the shock wave like? :)

So at ISO 0.7 you'd at f/4 +6/10's and let's add in a stop for bellows extension and you're around f/3.5 or so. But what about the spectrum of the lights? I'd guess another stop would be lost due to the restricted UV/blue sensitivity...so f/2.5ish.

Lose the softbox and they might be enough to approach one pop at f/4, assuming the lights pass UV.

I may be building one of those fluorescent banks after all. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the source, I might suggest gelling the lights and filtering all the long wavelengths out when doing portraits because that light isn't affecting the plate, but it is adding to the intensity and discomfort the sitter feels.

Joe shockwave isn't bad but does get a little warm for a split second:D

This process is obviously more detailed then I considered,,, I must be on a different wavelength

Steve M Hostetter
3-Mar-2009, 10:51
Granddaughter
4x5
scan neg
I like this shot

Miguel Coquis
3-Mar-2009, 11:44
I like this shot
Thanks Steve, I have been taking pictures of my grand children very often since they appear on Earth, finally, they enjoy, now, when they look at grandpa with his big cameras, asking for a shot !!!

jnantz
3-Mar-2009, 18:25
Granddaughter
4x5
scan neg

miguel

i really like this a lot!
they are both beautiful

john

cjbroadbent
4-Mar-2009, 09:15
8x10 polaroid. 240 Sironar on Gandolfi. Did you say mortgage?

Steve M Hostetter
4-Mar-2009, 10:22

hello Chris,,, I've noticed that when I use a lens cloth (micro cloth or silk) on the rollers the corners don't tend to pull off.. nice portrait

cjbroadbent
4-Mar-2009, 11:59
Thanks for the roller tip. Mine is the plastic hand cranker. I only get to keep the rejects.

Steve M Hostetter
4-Mar-2009, 12:37
Took me for ever to figure out how to prevent that,,, I just figured if it works for lenses then it should be the best thing for rollers.. The trick is doing it every time between exposures,, I usually clean the rollers while the film is exposing to get it off fast before anything dries

Allen in Montreal
6-Mar-2009, 22:34
Out of Jim's "Jesus at 100", I started to shoot my mother as often as I can.

I have not had the time to print this neg yet, this is a bad flatbed scan.

TXP, D-76 1:1 in a Jobo. ( I miss HC-110 and the old TXP :mad: )
Planar 135, 1/2 sec at f 8

Jim Galli
6-Mar-2009, 23:27

Thanks Allen. It's wonderful. I'm anxious to see more.

monkeymon
7-Mar-2009, 05:56
Finally got a scanner for 8x10

Jiri Vasina
7-Mar-2009, 07:36
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/matej/p13x18-183_web.jpg

In Mother's arms

Chamonix 5×8", Fomapan 100 in 13×18cm, Symmar 300mm, Metz flash, Rodinal.

I've never been much into portraits, but I'm really starting to like them (both shooting and looking at)... Now I need to master that beasty nature of flash.

Jiri

Miguel Coquis
7-Mar-2009, 12:07

Allen, this is very touching !
Like very much this visual.
Miguel

Miguel Coquis
7-Mar-2009, 12:10
I was working this subject, when I saw those beautiful hands show by Allen,
any way, here's my contribution.
Graflex Series D with 6x9 back
Scan negative

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Graflex%20Series%20D%206x9/Hand.jpg

Hugo Zhang
7-Mar-2009, 19:48
Here are two...

Allen in Montreal
7-Mar-2009, 19:54
Miguel,

I like your version much better than mine!
I am not sure dear mom would be able to hold still long enough.

very nice.

I was working this subject, when I saw those beautiful hands show by Allen,
any way, here's my contribution.
Graflex Series D with 6x9 back
Scan negative

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Graflex%20Series%20D%206x9/Hand.jpg

eddie
8-Mar-2009, 09:16
my new-to-me voigtlander 13.5 f4 lens

5x7 aluminum plate. wide open. for 1 sec. "quick clear" formula KCN fix, sugar developer.

Steve M Hostetter
8-Mar-2009, 10:43
Bill,,, 16" 4.5 Kodak wide open efke 25

Steve M Hostetter
8-Mar-2009, 10:45
My daughter Megan,,, Sinar P 180mm Fujinon Polaroid 4x5 taken 5 yrs ago

cobalt
8-Mar-2009, 11:42

Excellent.

Hugo Zhang
9-Mar-2009, 21:55
Actually they were taken three months ago and I just had a chance to print them last weekend. Dan's place and model. I am not good with studio lighting.

bspeed
9-Mar-2009, 22:16
Here is a photo I took last Sunday.
At this point only some basic levels and a curve tweak.
Taken on the Toyo 45, Gem's Nikon 210mm lens.
HP5+ in D76.

But enough of that.

The more I look at this photo the more it means to me to have taken it.

But that's why we do this isnt it ?
I'm really not that great of a photog, but I think that even in it's simplicity, it is one my better ones.

This gentleman is the ? 1999 PBR champ. And his one of his Sons.
I don't know if he is an overall champ or that kind of thing, since I am new to what they do.

On to the image!

http://bryanspeed.smugmug.com/photos/488574008_D46Dv-L.jpg

Miguel Curbelo
9-Mar-2009, 23:28
Please excuse my ignorance, what is a PBR champ?

Shutter
10-Mar-2009, 00:01
A professional bull rider perhaps?

bspeed
10-Mar-2009, 07:18
Yes, Cody Hart.

Steve M Hostetter
10-Mar-2009, 08:50
Here is a photo I took last Sunday.
At this point only some basic levels and a curve tweak.
Taken on the Toyo 45, Gem's Nikon 210mm lens.
HP5+ in D76.

But enough of that.

The more I look at this photo the more it means to me to have taken it.

But that's why we do this isnt it ?
I'm really not that great of a photog, but I think that even in it's simplicity, it is one my better ones.

This gentleman is the ? 1999 PBR champ. And his one of his Sons.
I don't know if he is an overall champ or that kind of thing, since I am new to what they do.

On to the image!

http://bryanspeed.smugmug.com/photos/488574008_D46Dv-L.jpg

Hello Bspeed,,, great shot..! I was wondering what you got when I seen your set-up in tiny format thread...

Shutter
10-Mar-2009, 09:36
My first 8x10 sheet :)

Sinar P // APO Ronar 480mm 9.0
Fomapan 100 // Rodinal
developed in CPE2.

I was a bit scared when I pre-soaked the sheets and the water turned dark-blue... but obviously it did no harm at all to the final image. There are a few scratches and it's a bit over-exposed, but nevertheless I'm quite satisfied :)

Jiri Vasina
10-Mar-2009, 10:24
My first 8x10 sheet :)

Sinar P // APO Ronar 480mm 9.0
Fomapan 100 // Rodinal
developed in CPE2.

I was a bit scared when I pre-soaked the sheets and the water turned dark-blue... but obviously it did no harm at all to the final image. There are a few scratches and it's a bit over-exposed, but nevertheless I'm quite satisfied :)

Shutter,

Fomapan 100 has a dark blue antihallation layer which dissolves in the presoak. I change the presoak water 3-5 times, until the water is (almost) clear from it (I don't use a processor, just a roll base)...

Jiri

Shutter
10-Mar-2009, 11:29
Shutter,

Fomapan 100 has a dark blue antihallation layer which dissolves in the presoak. I change the presoak water 3-5 times, until the water is (almost) clear from it (I don't use a processor, just a roll base)...

Jiri

Thank you, what a relief :D I thought my tap water was reacting somehow with the film emulsion!
It was also my first time developing with a processor, I got it for 80$ (including a 2840 drum) from a friend and it works like a charm! I only have to figure out how much water I should fill into the processor for I couldn't find a marking anywhere and I have no manual...

Steve M Hostetter
10-Mar-2009, 11:53
I fill it till the water almost touches the drum which shows the shallow pan just filled enough to be 1/4" deep..

Shutter
10-Mar-2009, 12:18
Ah... thanks! I thought the water should touch die drum so it wouldn't cool down during developing - but I guess in the end the water would cool it down even more through evaporation so your way makes much more sense!

bspeed
11-Mar-2009, 19:06
Bull Riders

Hp5+ with oh so mottled white area...thank goodness for some photoshop dodging fixing. :cool:
Thomas Niemann "Platinum" tone action applied to this first one.

http://bryanspeed.smugmug.com/photos/489677522_uBjoy-XL.jpg

http://bryanspeed.smugmug.com/photos/488603173_xjguF-L.jpg

Jeremy Moore
11-Mar-2009, 21:16
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/3348586162_5570bd7d63_o.jpg

8x10. 360mm Fujinon. My friends are easily talked into sitting for portraits when I offer beer.

Miguel Coquis
12-Mar-2009, 03:00
[QUOTE=8x10. 360mm Fujinon. My friends are easily talked into sitting for portraits when I offer beer.[/QUOTE]

Great design !
Great lens !
... nice beer !!!
I like this.

Allen in Montreal
12-Mar-2009, 09:40
Agreed, this is my routine with T-max too, 3 water changes at about 2 minutes each before I process in an 3005, also on a roller base.

Shutter,

Jiri

Jiri Vasina
12-Mar-2009, 14:47
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/matej/r010-3m_web.jpg

First Games

Graflex RB Super D 3×4", Kodak Ektar 152mm, 6×9cm Fuji Neopan 400 @ EI 800, developed in Rodinal.

At the moment he is not able to crawl from my camera (yet :) ) so he is a very good subject... I photograph him quite a lot lately... (I think his crawling will coincide with the peak of spring, and at that moment my subject will most probably change to nature again).

Jiri

Jim Graves
12-Mar-2009, 14:51
Jiri ... GREAT shot ... I'm not sure how you did it but the only two things in sharp focus are his eyes and the thing he's looking at. Really, really nice!

Jiri Vasina
12-Mar-2009, 15:00
Jim, thanks. Shooting with the Graflex SLR is very pleasant, providing there is enough light to see while focusing. And here there was...

And in this shot it is also helped by a small illusion - there are 2 toys hanging from above him, a kind of dog right above his head - the one in sharp focus, and a second one closer to the camera, which he is actually looking at. But it's out of focus, and is less seen in the frame. That might be causing your confusion :) But the effect seems nice to me...

Jiri

A.J. Dickson
12-Mar-2009, 20:21
Super d 3x4 and Dallmeyer 1b wide open with Arista edu film in Hc110. Diffused daylight

A.J. Dickson
12-Mar-2009, 20:24
Er here

unrealalex
12-Mar-2009, 21:50
http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/images/Vadim.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/index_en.html)

Wet-Plate collodion, Black Glass Ambrotype 8x10"
I use Dallmeyer 3A at max "soft" mode and artificial light for this portrait.

unrealalex
13-Mar-2009, 02:59
http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/images/Belokurov_and_Wife_1.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/index_en.html)
Couple portraits of one couple #1, Black Glass Ambrotype

http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/images/Belokurov_and_Wife_2.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/index_en.html)
Couple portraits of one couple #2, Black Glass Ambrotype

First one I shot with, Hugo Meyer Portrait Trioplat 12"/3.5 fully open
For second I used self made lens. 260/3.2 - I made it from two telescope achromat lens.
And as usual I used artificial light - three sources+reflector - one source with 4 lamps I placed near the camera and above it - fill light.
Second with 6 lamps I placed from left at 45 degree.
Last source with two lamps I placed near the backdrop as background light.

Miguel Coquis
13-Mar-2009, 04:32
Hands
105 mm f:4
scan neg
http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Expo%20Mars%2009/See-you.jpg

matthew blais
13-Mar-2009, 07:15
Great stuff Alexey and Miguel..

Steve M Hostetter
13-Mar-2009, 11:42
http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/images/Belokurov_and_Wife_1.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/index_en.html)
Couple portraits of one couple #1, Black Glass Ambrotype

http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/images/Belokurov_and_Wife_2.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/wet-plate-collodion/portraits/index_en.html)
Couple portraits of one couple #2, Black Glass Ambrotype

For second I used self made lens. 260/3.2 - I made it from two telescope achromat lens.
And as usual I used artificial light - three sources+reflector - one source with 4 lamps I placed near the camera and above it - fill light.

Alex,, I'm considering doing wet-plate and I'd like to know,, are these lights florescent,? can you maybe show a pic of the lights you used? I wonder because I may not invest in the process if the lights are expensive ,thx

Jim Galli
13-Mar-2009, 12:03
Black Glass Ambrotype

Black Glass Ambrotype

Bravo! These are very pretty. Excellent contrast and most important, the eyes are alive. That is the first thing I look for in a wet plate image.

jon.oman
13-Mar-2009, 14:51
8x10. 360mm Fujinon. My friends are easily talked into sitting for portraits when I offer beer.

Great shot!

Jon

stehei
13-Mar-2009, 16:07
Steve, those are one of the strongest portraits I've seen around here for a long time Impressive! Makes me wonder if I should get into wet plate too, its like a dream, your pictures!

regards

stefan

Steve M Hostetter
13-Mar-2009, 20:04
Steve, those are one of the strongest portraits I've seen around here for a long time Impressive! Makes me wonder if I should get into wet plate too, its like a dream, your pictures!

regards

stefan
Hello stefan,,, you know as much as I'd like to take credit for those awesome plates ,,, I was just commenting on them but thx anyway:D

stehei
14-Mar-2009, 01:36
ow, sorry, I'm terrible at reading late in the night
well unrealalex, the praise for the nice wetplates is for you!

regards

stefan

Andrew ren
14-Mar-2009, 18:10
@15-week.

http://www.andrewren.com/Images_for_web/PiPi/15weeks.jpg

VictoriaPerelet
14-Mar-2009, 20:09
Here are 2 pics from last week

http://victoriasphoto.com/models/Chrystyne/big/Chrystyne_bw_2xx.jpg
Sinar P2, Nikkor 150SW, F32. Film new TMAX-400. Developed rotary HC110 dil E 8min

http://victoriasphoto.com/models/Chrystyne/big/Chrystyne_bw_43.jpg
Sinar F2, Schneider SA 90XL, F32. Film new TMAX-400. Developed rotary HC110 dil E 7min

unrealalex
15-Mar-2009, 10:29
Alex,, I'm considering doing wet-plate and I'd like to know,, are these lights florescent,? can you maybe show a pic of the lights you used? I wonder because I may not invest in the process if the lights are expensive ,thx

Steve,

Sorry for delay with reply.
I use artificial light and soot in my studio.

For wet-plate I use three-four light sources with 4-7 fluorescent energy saving lamps. Each lamp is 105W input power, color temp is 6500K

My usually exposure times for portraits at F/3-F/4 is 6-5 seconds. It depends on light scheme and distance from camera to sitter.

One light source you may see on this picture:
http://www.ambrotype.ru/blog/wetplate3/01.jpg

Here you may find some pictures and description (unfortunately only in Russian) of How It Made:
http://radlov.livejournal.com/7397.html

Also on collodion.com you may find some topics about such lights and sources for lams:
http://collodion.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2620
http://collodion.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2834
http://collodion.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2429
http://collodion.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2487

Steve M Hostetter
15-Mar-2009, 11:01
Long live Vasily Alexeev ! strongest man to ever live..

Thank you Alexey for your time and kindness.. You are a great photographer

lungovw
17-Mar-2009, 17:17
Verito 9 inches. Somewhere between f4 and f5.6. Ilford FP4 8 min 30 seg in 510 Pyro at 23 degrees Celsius. Wagner Lungov

jnantz
17-Mar-2009, 20:24

Ben Syverson
18-Mar-2009, 08:52
A few 8 x 10 portraits:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3364073787_fed4e100f8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3364073787/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3364074167_96ddf5a688.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3364074167/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3364073287_b32bd115f5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3364073287/)

And one 4x5 (Super Graphic / Tominon 127mm f/4.5 / Fuji Pro 160S):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3364893868_2e0a487a3f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3364893868/)

Frank Petronio
18-Mar-2009, 09:59
That guy in the green sweater is wonderful. Radius of his eyes looks a tad soft to me though, but eyelashes are spot on ;-)

It really is a great color shot and a good subject. The others ones are fine too.

Ben Syverson
18-Mar-2009, 10:03
Haha -- thanks Frank!

Jiri Vasina
18-Mar-2009, 14:58
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/matej/r011-4_web.jpg

Matěj

Graflex RB 3 1/4 x 4 1/4", Ektar 152mm, 6x9cm Ilford HP5+ @ EI 800, Rodinal.

Jim Galli
18-Mar-2009, 16:02
Matěj

Graflex RB 3 1/4 x 4 1/4", Ektar 152mm, 6x9cm Ilford HP5+ @ EI 800, Rodinal.

Very beautiful and classically done this. The tones are just wonderful.

Jiri Vasina
18-Mar-2009, 23:01
Kind words on a photo from other photographers are always nice to hear (well, read, but anyway). But to hear them from one of the masters here (and Jim, to me you're clearly one of them ;) ), that makes for an extraordinary day. Thank you so much...

Jiri

Ben Syverson
19-Mar-2009, 21:16
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3368954591_af51f492a9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3368954591/)

Ben Syverson
20-Mar-2009, 14:55
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3371335982_603e2a1ae9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3371335982/)

Ken Lee
20-Mar-2009, 16:35
Verito 9 inches. Somewhere between f4 and f5.6. Ilford FP4 8 min 30 seg in 510 Pyro at 23 degrees Celsius. Wagner Lungov

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23988&d=1237335398

Most excellent: Deep feeling. Direct, yet soft and engaging. Perfect lighting, lovely tones. Great rapport. The photo breathes. A masterpiece.

matthew blais
22-Mar-2009, 12:46
Some I shot early March..all 8x10 and 360 fujinon or 450 nikkor.
Printed in lith developer on Luminous Charcoal (great stuff..too bad it's extinct).

All outdoor in shade/natural light
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/%5Bimg%5Dimages/Marchport.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2009, 18:13
Matt, nice to see the prints. I know the negatives looked nice. For some reason I'm leaning toward the blond.... gee I wonder why that is!

Jim

matthew blais
22-Mar-2009, 18:23
Thanks Jim...the blonde will be at our show...

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2009, 18:37
That is great Matt! But is she 6'2"?

Jim

Daniel_Buck
22-Mar-2009, 22:38
Here's some portraits of my coworkers! We had a fun afternoon!

THESE ARE FAKE!

Nobody was hurt in the least :-) It was so strange, the fake blood smelled like pancake syrup :-D haha!

I've got about 10 more shots (of different scenes) left to develop. Adox Ortho 25 in Rodinal 1:50 for 6 minutes. Speedgraphic 4x5 with stroboflash.

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_01.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_02.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_04.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_05.jpg

kev curry
23-Mar-2009, 00:13
S**t those are scarily real. Great shots.

Ash
23-Mar-2009, 02:09
Cool. Look up the VICE Magazine's MEXICO issue for resources on the real types of photos like that, you should be able to make them even more realistic after.

C. D. Keth
23-Mar-2009, 02:35
Those are pretty cool, Daniel. They look pretty convincing to me. It's funny you mention the smell of the blood because last week I was working on a show and we had a lot of blood on set (what with the serial killer and all...). It was what the effects people called "mouth blood" that tastes better than awful for when the talent has to have it in their mouth a lot. Some large component of it is minty so the whole place looked lurid but smelled like listerine.

One of the more interesting books I've seen lately was called New York Noir: Photos From the Daily News Archive (http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Noir-Photos-Archive/dp/0847821722/ref=pd_cp_b_2?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0821227750&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Q0F6DSVHNWP3XFCB9A0). It contains, in great part, real photos like the ones you staged.

xmishx
23-Mar-2009, 09:37
Matthew,

are you shooting in an outdoor tent, or just shade? I'd like to see the set up if you have it by chance. Along with another photographer here who uses a large tent, I hope to have one by the summer to work under for some 4x5.

Thanks,

Ted

Some I shot early March..all 8x10 and 360 fujinon or 450 nikkor.
Printed in lith developer on Luminous Charcoal (great stuff..too bad it's extinct).

All outdoor in shade/natural light
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/%5Bimg%5Dimages/Marchport.jpg

matthew blais
23-Mar-2009, 10:04
No tent Ted...I use shaded side of my detached garage where I attached hooks for a backdrop bar that will clamp a cloth backdrop on or a roll of paper.

It (the wall) faces northerly, and typically gives me good afternoon shading and also a stand that holds a reflector about 10-14 feet back to catch the sun...throws a wider band of light.
Exposures at about f8 or f11 are about 1/4 second on 8x10

Kerik Kouklis
23-Mar-2009, 11:18
(what with the serial killer and all...).

You work on Dexter?? LOVE that show!

xmishx
23-Mar-2009, 18:32
I've been having a lot of issues with myself shooting 4x5... I was never really getting what I thought I should be getting whenever I used my 4x5... However, with my latest attempt, Sherry worked out to be a great muse for me, yet again, pulling me out of my slumber.

http://www.artistsimageresource.net/blog/2009/2009-03-23sherry.jpg

VictoriaPerelet
23-Mar-2009, 19:59
Yesterday, Type 55.

http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Natalie/big/pol-3.jpg

Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm F4. F16 1/250s

http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Natalie/big/pol-1.jpg

Sinar P2, Nikkor 150mm SW, F16, 1/250s

Jan Pedersen
23-Mar-2009, 20:24
Ted, Wonderful portrait. Keep it up.

jan

walter23
24-Mar-2009, 00:28
One of the few portraits I've ever shot: a local photographer I went out with the other day (hope he doesn't mind my posting this ;)):

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/david-portrait.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
24-Mar-2009, 11:17
Here's some portraits of my coworkers! We had a fun afternoon!

THESE ARE FAKE!

Nobody was hurt in the least :-) It was so strange, the fake blood smelled like pancake syrup :-D haha!

I've got about 10 more shots (of different scenes) left to develop. Adox Ortho 25 in Rodinal 1:50 for 6 minutes. Speedgraphic 4x5 with stroboflash.

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_01.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_02.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_04.jpg

http://404photography.net/wip/murder_05.jpg

I guess Alfred Hitchcock used chocolate syrup for his bloody shots,, worked better in B&W,,, nice shots

C. D. Keth
25-Mar-2009, 02:37
You work on Dexter?? LOVE that show!

I like Dexter, too. I don't work on that show, though I would love to.;)

Steve M Hostetter
25-Mar-2009, 14:22
Sinar P 4x5 Fugichrome 64T 300mm 4.5 Kodak lens scanned from (scratched) lab print

my daughter's boyfriend pushed the shutter,, ironicly his name is Cameron :D

monkeymon
25-Mar-2009, 18:55
http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/heli_croppi_snadi.jpg

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/viltsubetoni_snadi.jpg

There's a nice hair in the scan, lets all pretend it does not exist.

Mark Sawyer
26-Mar-2009, 18:30
From a 4.5-inch f/3 "Special Large Diameter Darlot Lenses" Petzval on a beat-up Speed Graphic with "exp. May 1980" 4x5 Plus-X last Saturday:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/RipleyCienna600hi.jpg

Jim Galli
26-Mar-2009, 21:13
From a 4.5-inch f/3 "Special Large Diameter Darlot Lenses" Petzval on a beat-up Speed Graphic with "exp. May 1980" 4x5 Plus-X last Saturday:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/RipleyCienna600hi.jpg

Really really pretty Mark. Is this the little girl that loves to be in the pictures?

Mark Sawyer
26-Mar-2009, 21:29
Really really pretty Mark. Is this the little girl that loves to be in the pictures?

Yup, that's her! (Though I've found that when you have a big old camera, all kids are infected with the "take my picture" virus...)

Hope to give her another chance this weekend. I made a few more exposures that afternoon, but little girls like to pull out darkslides when your not looking...

unrealalex
29-Mar-2009, 22:55
http://www.ambrotype.ru/blog/cossack.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/index_en.html)

Cossack, Black Glass Ambrotype, 8x10"

I used Dallmeyer 3A with soft at #3 (it seems that this is now my favorite lens)
Exposure was 6-7 seconds.

To light we use two sources and one mirror.

Here is small video what was in a studio :)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4139853411833824876

BTW, He is a real cossack.

Daniel_Buck
29-Mar-2009, 23:00
beautiful portrait unrealalex, thanks for the video too, that is quite interesting!

sgelb
30-Mar-2009, 00:01
http://www.ambrotype.ru/blog/cossack.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/index_en.html)

I used Dallmeyer 3A with soft at #3 (it seems that this is now my favorite lens)

alexey your work is brilliant. Very impressive portraiture!

stehei
30-Mar-2009, 14:38
graflex speed, fitted with a unmarked dallmeyer 7 inch petzval

Jeremy Moore
31-Mar-2009, 11:30
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3402404752_e623227c23.jpg

Self-portrait with the 11x14.

monkeymon
31-Mar-2009, 13:08
graflex speed, fitted with a unmarked dallmeyer 7 inch petzval

Scary photographs!

stehei
31-Mar-2009, 15:20
Scary photographs!

scary picture, or scary ladies?:)

stehei
31-Mar-2009, 16:18
another one with the graflex dallmeyer combo

Steve M Hostetter
31-Mar-2009, 16:20

wonderful portrait and music..! can anyone remember the russian skit on sat.night live with Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd..? the ones that liked swinging chics in long tight slacks