PDA

View Full Version : *** Site to be taken down for a day or two ***

QT Luong
27-Feb-2009, 14:33
Received this email from our host:

"The bad guys have broken into the server that LF is using, and I'm going to have to take it down for a day or two while I install software upgrades. Can you notify people somehow? "

Expect the site to be down shortly for a couple of days at an unspecified time.

BrianShaw
27-Feb-2009, 14:38
Boo hoo. See y'all on the other side of the upgrade!

Good luck.

jb7
27-Feb-2009, 14:55
"Can you notify people somehow?"

I suppose you could have sent us all a postcard,
but this is probably more direct-

yes, boo hoo-

j

eddie
27-Feb-2009, 16:18
OH NO! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO FOR A FEW DAYS!?!?!

maybe i will just have to flow some plates.

see you all on the other side.

eddie

Joanna Carter
27-Feb-2009, 16:29
You could always join us at the UKLFPG forums.

www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum

Shen45
27-Feb-2009, 17:10
Thanks for the info on the UK site. Two days? That's not as long as two days waiting for a new lens to arrive is it?

Tom Westbrook
27-Feb-2009, 17:42
Latest news is that it won't be 2 days...More like a few hours if all goes well.

I'll be taking the site offline pretty soon, though.

Tom Westbrook
28-Feb-2009, 14:32
Our apologies for the outage, but we had some system issues to address. Everything should be back to normal now.

Thanks for your patience!

Songyun
28-Feb-2009, 15:02
Finally it is back.

Oren Grad
28-Feb-2009, 15:10
Our apologies for the outage, but we had some system issues to address. Everything should be back to normal now.

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks to you for all your good work!

Brian_A
28-Feb-2009, 15:35
Wow. I guess I didn't see the notice, here I had thought that the database failed in some way. Thankfully I was wrong! Glad to have ya back!

eddie
28-Feb-2009, 15:50
You could always join us at the UKLFPG forums.

www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum

thanks! i joined....be warned.

glad we are all back together......i flowed 8 plates while the site was down...:)

BrianShaw
28-Feb-2009, 16:16
Welcome back. Congrats on a speedy upgrade!

ImSoNegative
28-Feb-2009, 21:28
I was wondering what had happend

Brian Wallen
1-Mar-2009, 01:38
It's good when this site goes down occasionally just to cause us to reflect on the impressive uptime that is provided by the site design, the admins and the provider. This kind of service tends to be directly invisible the better it gets. It is also a good reminder of the excellent resource we have and how much we use it.

resummerfield
1-Mar-2009, 18:08
........the impressive uptime that is provided by the site design, the admins and the provider. This kind of service tends to be directly invisible the better it gets. It is also a good reminder of the excellent resource we have and how much we use it.
Well said, and I agree completely.

Derek Kennedy
28-Apr-2009, 12:37
I missed the msg about the site going down.... :eek:

I was starting to go a little nuts...wondering...will it ever be back........

But here it is, back, stronger than ever!

WB!

Kirk Keyes
28-Apr-2009, 13:28
Wow - What did I miss?

Gem Singer
28-Apr-2009, 13:54
Derek and Kirk,

The downtime mentioned in the original post took place back in Feb., and we were given ample warning.

Yesterday's downtime happened suddenly, without warning. I believe it was due to a server failure.

Kirk Gittings
28-Apr-2009, 14:07
I still have no clue myself, but I bet the server failure guess is a good one.

Derek Kennedy
28-Apr-2009, 14:42
Gem:

Lately I havent been noticing that the threads Ive been posting in are old ones....

Server issues...it happens.

Kirk Gittings
28-Apr-2009, 19:09
The server was down.

The slow posting speed that many (including myself) have experienced recently is a separate issue it appears. According to our server guy "I am not aware of any performance problems on that server. You guys are now the only ones using it, so it isn't heavily loaded."

Derek Kennedy
29-Apr-2009, 09:53
If we are the only ones using the server then why do I find using the forums so slow? Loading pages can be slow, adding posts can be slow, and it doesnt matter whether or not Im on the work computer (wireless) or at home (cable), sure there is a speed increase at home but I still find this site slow most times. Odd.

EDIT: Of course THIS post was lightning fast to post :P