PDA

View Full Version : Online resources for LF portrait photography

Clark King
11-Aug-2001, 13:51
Does anyone have any good Online resources for lf portrait photography/ any resp onse is greatly appreciated!

Clark King

Dave Willison
12-Aug-2001, 09:55
Clark:

Are you looking for examples of portrait work with LF or information on technical aspects, including how to focus, how to manipulate DOF, or what type of stobe/hot light system to use?

Clark King
12-Aug-2001, 16:19
I'd say both really...

Dave Willison
12-Aug-2001, 17:58
Clark:

Take a quick look at the postings on this formum listed under "Technique." There are several discussions on the use of strobe lighting in large format and a number of posts regarding how to overcome focusing obstacles. The focusing issue, along with subject movement and depth of field, seems to be the major dilema when you first start using 4x5 or 8x10 in portrait situations. This is particularly true for head shots.

I don't know of any specific large format technique sites on the web. My sense is that portraiture is portraiture once you have solved the lighting setup and learned to focus.

For examples of large format portraiture, do a search for work by Hurrell, Karsh (sp.), Richard Avedon, Nicholas Nixon, Sally Mann, Andrea Modica, Shelby Lee Adams, etc.

I hope this helps.