PDA

View Full Version : magic Lantern slides

Neil Purling
27-Feb-2009, 03:51
Was there a standard size of lantern slide?
I have just bought a incomplete magic lantern. The lens was there and that was the bit I was interested in. I am hoping that it will be a Petzval, but of what focal length?
I don't know what size(s) lantern plates were. I guess that they would be contact printed from a plate negative.
I am hoping that the thing might cover a reasonable portion of the 4x5 frame.

Don Dudenbostel
28-Feb-2009, 15:55
I worked for a company in the mid 70's that still used lantern slides for presentations. Hard to believe but we still shot 4x5 speed graphics with flash bulbs too. If I remember correctly lantern slides were either 3-1/4x4 or 3-1/4x4-1/4. I know they weren't any bigger then 3-1/4x4-1/4.

The lens FL wasn't standard and depended on the distance it was to be projected and the screen size. I have a petzval projection lens and it's around 4 inches but again they weren't standard.

cblurton
28-Feb-2009, 17:55
Check on eBay. Magic lantern slides are sold regularly. That should give you an idea of the different sizes.

dwross
28-Feb-2009, 18:57
I have two Magic Lantern slides, dated 1917. They measure 3-1/4 x 3-1/2.

Good luck and fun with your project!

Glenn Thoreson
28-Feb-2009, 20:37
Standard lantern slides were 3 1/4 X 4 inches. There are other sizes out there.

Neil Purling
28-Feb-2009, 23:55
It sounds like it will cover a good portion of the frame area.
When I have stripped it out of the lantern i'll have to see about getting it mounted to a lens panel.
BTW What's the densest ND filter gel you can buy?. It is relevant because I might need to cut the light entering the lens to give a exposure I can do myself with a Jim Galli patent shutter.