PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-1 and Wideangle Lenses

noob
26-Feb-2009, 23:17
Hi all, First off let me say that I am new to the forum and new to large format. This forum has been a great resource so far, so thanks to all. I also appreciate that threads entitled 'Chamonix and/with xyz' have been highlighted as something of a special phenomenon on this board, however I have applied the search function to the best of my newbie ability and drawn a blank.

I am looking for a wideangle lens for use on a Chamonix 45N-1 as I will be photographing large outdoor subjects close-up. I am considering the 55mm, 65mm and 75mm Grandagons. The 55mm in particular appeals as it would seem to be a good equivalent focal length for use with a 6x9 film back yet will still cover 4x5.

If anyone here uses this camera lens combination perhaps they can help me out with the following: Will the bed be visible in a 4x5 image? Will there be movements available with or without the optional 'universal bellows'? Will a recessed lens board be necessary, and if so will an off-center board work out?

Many thanks in advance.

Songyun
26-Feb-2009, 23:59
Hi all, First off let me say that I am new to the forum and new to large format. This forum has been a great resource so far, so thanks to all. I also appreciate that threads entitled 'Chamonix and/with xyz' have been highlighted as something of a special phenomenon on this board, however I have applied the search function to the best of my newbie ability and drawn a blank.

I am looking for a wideangle lens for use on a Chamonix 45N-1 as I will be photographing large outdoor subjects close-up. I am considering the 55mm, 65mm and 75mm Grandagons. The 55mm in particular appeals as it would seem to be a good equivalent focal length for use with a 6x9 film back yet will still cover 4x5.

If anyone here uses this camera lens combination perhaps they can help me out with the following: Will the bed be visible in a 4x5 image? Will there be movements available with or without the optional 'universal bellows'? Will a recessed lens board be necessary, and if so will an off-center board work out?

Many thanks in advance.
Let me try to answer your questions.
I have used 75mm on Chamonix. If you move the rear standard forward, you won't have the bed in the frame. ( I have tried 65mm on Chamonix the same way, no bed visible) I haven't use 55mm so I can not say about that.
For 75mm focus at infinity, with regular bellow, you can have a few mm rise and fall. IMHO, a universal bellow is recommended. but for 55mm you don't have the image circle to do any movement at infinity anyway.
I have never used a recessed board, a flat one is good for 75, and 65. if you want movement, a universal bellow is a better solution. (all my copal 0/1 are off center boards.)

Clement Apffel
1-Mar-2009, 01:50
Hi and welcome to the LFP forum.

check this thread :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=42430

from post #17 someone asks questions about a 65mm on chamonix with a 6x9 reducing back.

to sum up : with a 65mm, the wide angle bellow isn't a solution, because it gets compressed by knobs and other stuff beneath the standards.
in the other hand, you can focus at infinity the 65mm with the standard bellow but you won't have any movements.
i do not own a universal bellow. it could be the solution. but :

- as Songyun mentionned, such FL barely covers 4x5 so movements are not needed. (unless you shoot 6x9 as you mention)
- and imo even with universal bellow, it would be compressed so much that it wouldn't offer so much more movement ability than the standard bellow.

maybe someone here that own 65-55mm lenses and universal bellow can comment that setting ?

hope it helps.

willwilson
1-Mar-2009, 08:38
I do not shoot with a MF reducing back only 4x5, but I use a 47mm XL and a 75mm Grandagon 4.5 on my Chamonix all the time. I have a universal bellows. Excellent movements are available for both of the above lenses. You can easily set up the camera to shoot the 47mm XL, on a flat board, without showing the camera bed! I haven't used a 55mmXL or 65mm on mine but it would definitely work

The fresnel that comes with the camera does have some issues with super wide lenses, you pretty much have to imagine the corners.

Chamonix 45N-1, Schneider 47mm XL (Flat Board):

Michael Rosenberg
1-Mar-2009, 11:46
The 45-1N will handle a 47XL as Will mentioned, and a 58XL with no problems. The bed will not be in the image as Will shows in his post. There is not a lot of movement available without the universal bellows, but with those lenses you are not really looking for a lot of movement.

Mike