PDA

View Full Version : Standard Jobo Processor times?

mealers
24-Feb-2009, 11:49
I've just bought a used Jobo CPE-2 to develop B+W, E6 and I'm waiting for it to arrive. One thing I'm not looking forward to is doing tedious film test to find the correct ASA and development times for my Delta 100 and HP5+.
But.....Since every Processor can acurately maintain a constant 20 C and agitation is the same as the next machine then surely their must be standard time for developer/film combos.
Or should I resign myself to doing film tests? :)

jeroldharter
24-Feb-2009, 11:56
I would do the tests after you get used to using the Jobo. In the meantime you can use Ilford's recommendations for rotary processing times. You did not mention a developer.

mealers
24-Feb-2009, 12:02
Jerold, the plan was to go by the Ilford times then -15% of those times for rotary processors to find a starting point for tests.
I'm using D76 as my developer.
So if I was using exactly the same film/developer combo as you would we both have the same results if we both used the same processor?

Bruce Watson
24-Feb-2009, 14:39
I've just bought a used Jobo CPE-2 to develop B+W, E6 and I'm waiting for it to arrive. One thing I'm not looking forward to is doing tedious film test to find the correct ASA and development times for my Delta 100 and HP5+.
But.....Since every Processor can acurately maintain a constant 20 C and agitation is the same as the next machine then surely their must be standard time for developer/film combos.
Or should I resign myself to doing film tests? :)

Resign yourself to doing the film tests. My CPP-2 turns to be about 0.6C off, an indicated 19.4C measures 20C according to a calibrated thermometer whose calibration can be traced back to NIST. The thermometer is right. The Jobo is wrong. I'd fix it, but who really cares? I'm the only user and I know what it does. ;)

What the Jobo is, is repeatable. That's all you really need to improve your workflow. And that's the point of doing the testing. To account for the variances in everything from thermocouples to shutter speeds. That is, for *your* variances. For *your* workflow.

Standard times from Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, the Massive Development Chart (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html), etc. are all just starting points. They get you close. You have to do the testing to nail it. Is it worth it? It is to me. YMMV.

Rolfe Tessem
25-Feb-2009, 09:40
FWIW, with the B&W films, Jobo recommended that if you used a five minute pre-wet, then the times were essentially the same as those published for inversion tanks.

That has been exactly my experience.

venchka
25-Feb-2009, 10:27
Funny thing. The only standard I have found is that there is no standard.

I started developing HP5+ sheet film in D-76 1:1. Pre-soak. 15% off Ilford's time. Pretty dense negatives. I reduced the time to about 22% of the original. I switched to Xtol 1:3 for the next 40-50 sheets. I found Kodak's time for Xtol 1:3 and rotary processing. Pre-Soak. 12:15. Pretty dense negatives. 9 minutes seems to work well for me. In fact, 9 minutes works really well for 35mm PanF+, 120 HP5+ and 4x5 HP5+. I can develop all 3 in the Jobo 2553 tank at the same time.

Rolfe Tessem
25-Feb-2009, 16:42
I don't know what to tell you...

HP5+ with Xtol 1:1 has a published time of 12 minutes at 68F. I use that with a five minute pre-wet and it works perfectly.

FWIW, I'm using a Jobo ATL-1000, so the five minute pre-wet is not optional -- it is built into the program.

Kirk Keyes
25-Feb-2009, 16:51
How do you know your thermometer reads the same as mine?

I don't use the films you do, or I would give you my info. But try the massive development chart website and start there.

mealers
26-Feb-2009, 02:41
Thankyou all of responding.
I'II stick to the original plan of running my own film tests using Digital Truth times as a starting point.