PDA

View Full Version : Focusing

Theo Tan
9-Aug-2001, 17:05
when using digital (Phase one), very often I have difficulties focusing with tilting/swinging. How can I overcome? will using a focusing lupe which is stronger (15X or20X) helps me? At the present I am using a 8X Lupe. Thanks for your input. Regards T

Mike Mahoney
10-Aug-2001, 08:06
Theo - a higher magnification lupe will not help your focusing, most recommend 4X lupe. When using movements, your plane of focus will change, along with the shape of your DOF - to obtain a sharp image across the whole film area may require additional movements, or stopping down - there are articles and threads in this forum on both. There are many basic principles on how the shape of images change with back movements, and how your focus plane/DOF changes with front tilts/swings. Try looking through some of the previous threads and articles - also a good book is Leslie Strobels "View Camera Technique". If you could be more specific in the type of focusing problem you have, I'm sure someone here could help you.

Mike Mahoney
10-Aug-2001, 18:48
Sorry, Theo just saw the "digital" in your question, so I really don't know if I've given you the correct info or not - does anyone know if there is a difference with the digital vs. regular lenses?

ed kang
10-Aug-2001, 20:55
Theo,

Are you using a small MF CCD phase one, or are you using a 4x5" phase one scanning back?