PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder for Crown+Super Angulon 47/8

dkopylen
23-Feb-2009, 07:20
Hello,

I mounted a Super Angulon 47mm/8 on my Crown Graphic for the first time and even shot one roll of film. This is really superb combination!
Now I am at the stage of making my work with this setup more comfortable. Following are the problems I would like to resolve:

extremely hard to frame the shots using the ground glass back not only because the lens does not have separate focusing mode (a lever for instant diaphragm opening), thus requiring constant diaphragm switching back and force, but also because even at f8 the image is so dark at the corners, that one barely sees anything even in the bright light.
constant back-switching (from ground glass back to film roll) usually causes for focus and framing loss.
SA47 requires the front lens-standard to be locked on the part of the rails before the drop-bed. I noticed that on my Crown this part of the rails is somewhat more loose then the ones residing on the drop-bed itself, which sometimes causes the standard to be stuck while focusing (because the rails start to rise a bit and the standard leans a bit forward or backward). Does anyone also have a problem like this, or this is only the problem with my camera? If this is my problem, how do I tighten these rails?

I think the problems 1 and 2 can be solved by attaching some kind of wide angle viewfinder to the camera. Then I will not have to put the ground glass back at all (focusing very hard on this lens, so I will just prefocus it to hyperfocal distance). Does anyone know which viewfinder shall I put? I shoot with 6x7 back.
Does anyone know what is the hyperfocal distance for this lens?
If anyone knows any other useful information on how to comfortably use this Crown+SA47 combination, your help will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Denis

dazedgonebye
23-Feb-2009, 08:00
Hyperfocal distance:
f8--15.3 ft
f11--10.8ft
f16--7.7 ft
f22--5.5 ft
f32--3.9 ft

www.dofmaster.com is a handy tool.

Archphoto
23-Feb-2009, 08:10
The most versitile and expensive option is the Linhof universal finder and use the 4x5 inch mask in front.
For the 47mm you would have to find the propper setting.

I have 2 of them (NOT FOR SALE) and used them for my Master Technika and later with my Sinar P2 to get my pre-shooting position and lens when photographing architecture.

But............ there must be lesssssss expensive way's to get the same result.

Peter

dkopylen
23-Feb-2009, 09:05
The most versitile and expensive option is the Linhof universal finder and use the 4x5 inch mask in front.
For the 47mm you would have to find the propper setting.

I have 2 of them (NOT FOR SALE) and used them for my Master Technika and later with my Sinar P2 to get my pre-shooting position and lens when photographing architecture.

But............ there must be lesssssss expensive way's to get the same result.

Peter

Thanks for your answer, Peter. Do you mean the finder like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Technika-Style-4x5-Universal-Zoom-View-Finder_W0QQitemZ270336190933QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

But this is for 58mm minimum, or may be when used with the 6x7 it gives 47?

Thanks
Denis

Bill_1856
23-Feb-2009, 12:25
Graflex, Inc made an optical unit which slides into the regular Graphic viewfinder (just like a mask) which was for 90mm lens on 4x5 camera. 47mm on 6x7 is very close, and should work just fine.
But it sounds like what you really need is a Maxwell Screen.

Archphoto
23-Feb-2009, 12:33
That's a cheapy !!!!!
The "real" thing costs nw more than $ 1000,- I believe......

This finder goes from 58 at 4x5 inch > 58/1.5=38mm, so it will cover the 47 on the 6x7cm

When you decide to buy this one put the camera on a tripod, open the lens a check which lens-length corresponds with the view on your focusing screen and mark that point.
It allso will show you the correct position of the finder on the camera.

Good luck !
Peter

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 13:15
Not exactly the smartest thing I ever said.

Archphoto
23-Feb-2009, 13:39
Update: that Linhof Universal View Finder: $ 1200,-- used on ebay........ oeps......

dazedgonebye
23-Feb-2009, 13:53
Um...for the price of that finder (less I think), why not buy one of the handheld 6x9 cameras such as the one from fotoman?

dkopylen
23-Feb-2009, 22:43
Not exactly the smartest thing I ever said.

pardon?

venchka
24-Feb-2009, 06:25
pardon?

I said something potentially dumb abd edited it out.

mandoman7
25-Feb-2009, 00:59
Sometimes going against the intended use of a camera doesn't pay off. There are a lot of options for getting a 50mm lens and 6x7 film combination if you're not anticipating the need for movements.
The regular rangefinder that comes with the Crown is hard enough to calibrate as it is. And then, once its adjusted, you're stuck with that lens.
I agree, though, that its a nuisance to deal with a film back and small ground glass image. Simplication is always helpful to a workflow.

JY

venchka
25-Feb-2009, 06:57
Fotoman sells a viewfinder and mask for this combination. Cameraquest sells a 21mm viewfinder for 35mm cameras that should be close enough for your purposes. In fact, for $300 you can buy the 21mm Voigtlander lens and viewfinder. If you have no use for the lens, sell it. The viewfinder will be almost free.

A 45mm lens on a Pentax 6x7 body would be a lot easy to handle. The lens is very very good.

dkopylen
25-Feb-2009, 23:04
Thanks very much to all of you for your help!
A lot of information to think of.