PDA

View Full Version : funny questions about your LF camera

ImSoNegative
22-Feb-2009, 19:04
I would like to hear some funny questions that you have been asked by folks while out in the field concerning your LF camera. I'll start. This weekend I was at a state park with my cambo 8x10 trying to get a shot of the beautiful waterfall that was there. There were lots of people there. There was a couple standing behind me watching what I was doing. I could hear the man educating the lady on what I was doing and how "those" cameras are a thing of the past blah blah blah. After I came out from beneath the cloth the man asked me "hey buddy, that's one of those black and white cameras aint it?". I couldn't resist "yeah as a matter of fact it is or unless I decide to shoot color film in it"

drew.saunders
22-Feb-2009, 19:19
"Is that a video camera?" asked in Yosemite of all places, of my cherry wood Tachihara.

Kirk Gittings
22-Feb-2009, 19:23
For some reason this only happened when I was in Canada working on my graduate degree in the early eighties, but it happened many times, "What are you doing, shooting postcards?

Oren Grad
22-Feb-2009, 19:34
I live a boring life - I've only gotten the two classics:

"Is that a Hasselblad?" (about my 3.25x4.25 Crown Graphic)

and

"Can you still get film for that?" (ummm, if not, my behavior right now is a little hard to explain...)

Archphoto
22-Feb-2009, 19:37
"Loopt die ?" > Is it running ? Back in the 80's

At one time a guy with a bike and dressed like a beggar came to me, looked at the camera, a Linhof Master, and said: "wide angle ay ?!" "Assignment ?" "Good for you !"
Later I heard that he was The Hague's most famous street photgrapher.....

In former Eastern Germany (DDR) I was called a press photographer with my Master: they looked at west-tv and saw old american movies with Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic and so on.

Gem Singer
22-Feb-2009, 19:39
Main Street in Decatur, Texas, photographing the vintage county courthouse located there. A young lady walks up to me and asks, "That's an old fashioned camera, isn't it?"

I answer her inquiry about my tripod mounted Canham Traditional 5x7, "It sure is. This camera is almost three years old. Time to replace it with a newer model."

She walked away with a puzzled look on her face.

Kent10D
22-Feb-2009, 20:49
From a guy who wanted to take a peek at the GG: "The picture's upside down! How are you going to fix that?"

Really.

Cheers.

W K Longcor
22-Feb-2009, 21:01
Some years back, my family and I would volunteer at a local historical village. On occation, I would set up as a circa 1870 photographer. One day, I had an 11x14 camera set up -- pointed out the window so folks could see the ground glass image as I talked about the history of photography. One boy walked in, took a look at the camera screen and ran out to the door to yell to his friends. "Come in here quick! They got a real old television in here!":rolleyes:

Nathan Potter
22-Feb-2009, 21:15
A few years ago I was setup on the Maine coast at Pemaquid light. I was really trying to concentrate on the splendid, folded metasedimentary rocks when a young woman with a child spotted me and came over. The conversation started innocently enough but gradually devolved into an attempt at some sort of religious conversion. There was no interest in the camera but only in me finding god. After a while, out of desperation, with me fumbling and trying to concentrate, I cut into her diatribe and explained to her that I was photographing gods work with the camera and that was my way of touching the hands of god. She departed quietly. Later I came to think - hey, that was pretty clever and maybe even has some truth in it.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Eric Woodbury
22-Feb-2009, 21:30
At Stonehenge in 1996, a father was explaining to his young son that my 4x5 was "some sort of television".

Gordon Moat
22-Feb-2009, 21:53
I got the video camera question a few times. Then I got the "can you get film for that" question, to which I usually reply: No, but I like setting up the camera as a conversation starter. Of course, way too many times about is that an old camera, and the obvious sorts of replies considering my camera is about four years old.

Best ever was after I allowed a woman to look at the ground glass under the darkcloth. Her one reply was: "Wow, that's a big LCD on that camera".

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

bvstaples
22-Feb-2009, 22:53
"That must be one of them old time cameras. How old is it?"

"Wow, you must be a professional photographer."

"Are you making a movie?"

aphexafx
22-Feb-2009, 23:18
"Wow, that's a big LCD on that camera".

lol :D

Dennis
22-Feb-2009, 23:39
Aside from the question of am I using an antique camera the comment I most hear is "wow that camera is so beautiful" (my Toko wood field camera)

ImSoNegative
22-Feb-2009, 23:47
Guys these are hilarious. A guy asked me one time concerning my 4x5. "How many megapixels is that thing?". My reply. "A lot".

Vaughn
22-Feb-2009, 23:56
On the edge of the Grand Canyon (South Rim), I was asked what I was surveying. Most other comments were about the age of the camera.

Vaughn

Andrea Gazzoni
23-Feb-2009, 00:01
I was shooting yesterday near a little mountain stream here in Northern Italy, a family passed by and their son asked the father: "is he fishing?"

other from last year:
-"we will end up on television news!!" (they thought it was a movie camera)
-"he is obviously filming the moving clouds with the still motion technique" (this was on a path at the foot of Mont Blanc, I was actually focusing a little lake when this group passed by and "the expert" between them explained to all what I was doing)

In a sunday afternoon on a river bank too next to the parking I noticed in the reflection on the groundglass two girls and "the expert" as they were taking snaps of me and my camera with the mobile...

at times all this becomes too embarrassing

Steve Pauly
23-Feb-2009, 01:37
I have had my LF cameras just a short while, but I have gotten a few memorable questions.

I was in Industry, Tx. I had set up my newly acquired Crown on tripod on right of way, and was under the dark cloth, about to take a snap of a vintage looking gas station and old truck parked nearby. The last time this place had been photographed, was in 1950 when it was new, I felt.

Along came the owner, asking "You're not a professional, are you?".

"No", I answered.

"Well, Ok. You can't be too careful these days", he replied.

I am still trying to figure that one out.

Cesar Barreto
23-Feb-2009, 04:36
Years ago I was making a panoramic view from Rio de Janeiro with my trustful 5x7 Kodak 2D and when I came out from beneath the dark cloth there was a boy looking oddly at me: hey, are you x-raying the city?

Robert A. Zeichner
23-Feb-2009, 05:03
While photographing in the Smokies, I was approached by a couple of boys who asked if my Deardorff was a "cowboy camera".

bsimison
23-Feb-2009, 05:51
I've gotten the "what a beautiful antique camera, how old is it" question countless times with my cherry and brass Tachihara. I love telling people that it's only a few years old.

My favorite questions have come when using my hasselblads in the field. While photographing some students at the local college one day, one of the girls asked me what I was doing with the lever after every exposure. "You mean the winding lever? I'm advancing the film." "Oh", she replied, "I know cameras used to shoot film, but I didn't know you have to wind it yourself."

Winger
23-Feb-2009, 06:06
I have a Cambo monorail and am still pretty new at it, but I've been asked a few times, "Are you surveying for the gas company?"
I frequently get asked if I can still can film (no matter the camera). They don't seem surprised that you can, but pleased that I do it and that I develop my own, too.

Tim Meisburger
23-Feb-2009, 06:15
This morning at breakfast in a hotel, I pulled out my 40 year old wood Ikeda Anba 4x5 to show a friend, and a guy at the next table said "Wow! Is it digital?"

Has nothing to do with photography, but I had an old Victrola in storage in the states and a few years ago picked it up and brought it back to Indonesia. When my kids saw the records they said "Look! Giant CDs!"

Steve Gledhill
23-Feb-2009, 07:29
I have two favourites ...

The first was last year whilst taking a picture of Yosemite Falls. A boy said to me "hey, that's upside down". I said - "oh no" and quickly rotated the back through 180. He exclaimed "it's still upside down" ... at which point he and his family and I all had a happy discussion about how it all worked.

A couple of years ago I was photographing inside Wells Cathedral in England at the same time as scenes were being shot for an episode of "Midsomer Murders" a very popular TV detective here in the UK. John Nettles who stars in it came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I couldn't resist the answer "taking photographs". Well, he really could have come up with a more imaginative question.

Pfeiffer Duckett
23-Feb-2009, 09:27
While photographing in the Smokies, I was approached by a couple of boys who asked if my Deardorff was a "cowboy camera".

Which is how I will describe my 'dorff to inqusitive minds from now until eternity.

bigdog
23-Feb-2009, 09:35
Those of us in the Texas Church Project appeared on TV in 2007. We spent a day in with the host and film crew of the show as they first followed us around while we photographed churches. The crew took quite an interest in the large format cameras – especially the 7x17 – and the fact that we all use film. We were fascinated by their high tech video gear, and they were fascinated with 20 minute exposures and wooden tripods.

It's all relative, though. If you don't wish to be bothered while photographing, you need a distraction. My wife is an painter. We go out together on "image making" trips where I take cameras and she takes her pochade box ( http://www.dickblick.com/products/guerrilla-painter-pochade-travelbox-and-accessories/ ) and it doesn't matter what I'm doing - everybody is standing around watching her paint dry. :p

Kerik Kouklis
23-Feb-2009, 09:38
For some reason this only happened when I was in Canada working on my graduate degree in the early eighties, but it happened many times, "What are you doing, shooting postcards?

Ha! I had that question once when I was shooting with my 14x17. I said "yes, really BIG postcards!"

Vaughn
23-Feb-2009, 10:52

"Is that a real camera or is it a Sears camera?" I am waiting for a Zappa fan to ask me that!

It would be fun to attach a hand crank to the side of my 8x10...like the old movie cameras. Then with my head under the cloth and "cranking" the camera, listen to the comments of people.

Vaughn

Toyon
23-Feb-2009, 11:40
"What birds are you photographing with that?".

JohnGC
23-Feb-2009, 13:11
A couple of years ago, I was at a park setting up a shot when a guy walked up to the side of my 11x14, leaned over the bellows and took a picture, mimicking my shot with a lower end looking dslr, with no regard as he bumped my camera.
Then he looked at me and said "See how easy it is!"
He walked back to his wife and said loudly "some people will never embrace technology". She replied, "shush, some people are just afraid, don't be rude."

I shook my head and repositioned my camera ranting about #$%&# lack of respect for peoples property and space...They walked away very quickly!

Kevin M Bourque
23-Feb-2009, 13:40
I was set up on a sidewalk with a 4x5 and a case full of stuff and someone asked, "Are you a photographer?"

I didn't have a snappy answer, and I still don't know what a good one might be.

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 13:45
I haven't been out much since buying my Zone VI field camera.

On my only public outing to date I was asked, "Nice camera. Is that a Hasselblad?"

DJGainer
23-Feb-2009, 13:56
Last August I was in Grand Teton when a man and his son saw me taking a shot with my 4x5 Horseman. He asked why I didn't do what all the professionals do and go digital? When he mentioned that digital cameras would shortly outpace large format, I responded the most polite way I could; I ignored him.

Same trip I was in Yellowstone setting up a shot of some buffalo on the plains. A car came to a screeching halt behind me, literally. I turned around to see two pairs of eyes just glaring at me. Very odd...

Tim k
23-Feb-2009, 14:06
Last summer, while waiting for a sunset with my Toyo monorail, some guy came by and said " Boy you look like you know what your doing".

Gave me a big head at the moment. But in hind site, it was hilarious. I had no idea what I was doing.

Nana Sousa Dias
23-Feb-2009, 15:02
I was set up on a sidewalk with a 4x5 and a case full of stuff and someone asked, "Are you a photographer?"

I didn't have a snappy answer, and I still don't know what a good one might be.

You could say:

"No, I'm a French musician and this is my acordeon, I'm gonna play some Paris waltzes!" :D

Nana Sousa Dias
23-Feb-2009, 15:12
The most common is:

"Hey, is this for TV?"

one guy asked me where I used to put the film cartridge on that camera...

Once I was setting my cherrywood 4x5 Wista, at the beach, in winter.
I was below the dark cloth, trying to focus the camera, when I saw a face looking at me, on the groud glass...

It was a fisherman who asked me if I could still find film for that camera. He told me that is grandfather had one like that, I told him the camera was 4 years old. He laughed...

bspeed
23-Feb-2009, 15:21
Last summer, while waiting for a sunset with my Toyo monorail, some guy came by and said " Boy you look like you know what your doing".

Gave me a big head at the moment. But in hind site, it was hilarious. I had no idea what I was doing.

Now, thats exactly how I feel when I am out with my view camera. :rolleyes:

willwilson
23-Feb-2009, 15:26
Nothing breaks your concentration better than onlookers.

I was in the middle of a shot, focusing, trying to get my rear tilt just right. The framing required my tripod to be half in and half out of a stream (I was managing to stay dry). I came up from under my dark cloth to a loud voice directly behind me, "Nice Camera..." I lost my balance and ended up on my back, taking a bath in the process.

JOneZero
23-Feb-2009, 15:37
I've had all the usual ones, including "Is that a...Hass...a Hassel...is that a *Hasselblad*?!"

A couple of times I've been asked - with all seriousness - how many megapixels my 4x5 has.

At the moment, I'm living in New Zealand. When I take my camera on an outing, it *always* attracts a crowd. Always. I have to say that I've met some of the nicest people, and had some really great conversations with locals who stop to chat. They are both puzzled, and bashfully flattered that anyone would photograph their neck of the woods with "such a serious camera."

One time I was at an event and I was surrounded by digtal machine-gunners. You could hear the shutters firing away, and the point & shoots were beeping. An older fellow from the local camera club stopped to chat with me, and he said loudly: "How many have *you* taken?" I said: Three. We laughed like hell.

Anyway, I'll take all the "is that *digital*???" questions in the world. I've met some really cool folks because of my camera.

Richard M. Coda
23-Feb-2009, 15:58
http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com/2008/11/entering-library-abstractly.html

We went to the Mustang Library in Scottsdale last fall to get some books for my daughter. I had never been to this branch but was immediately struck by the entry to the library. There is some renovation construction going on, but this seems to have been part of the original design and structure. I checked the time and decided to come back the next day at the same time.

Next day I show up about a half an hour before our arrival yesterday. Started setting up my 8x10" camera. As I was setting up, one of the library workers came out for a break. He asked what I was doing so I explained to him. He asked what I was photographing so I pointed to the area. He said, "I don't see it." It was an abstract pattern of shadows created by beams overhead. I showed him under the cloth and then he saw it. He then asked me why I hadn't switched to digital. I explained to him that the best DSLR out there is about 20 megapixels. I told him that my 8x10" film camera has 55 times that. I finished my exposure and we talked for a few more minutes. Then he took out his cell phone and snapped the same image I just had made! I hope that doesn't put a dent in sales of my image! :^)

Michael Chmilar
23-Feb-2009, 16:51
Most people who ask to see the image on the ground glass end up saying, "I can only see my reflection."

I also often overhear people saying to their family or friends, "That must be digital!"

And the, "Is that a Hasselblad?" question is extremely common.

cobalt
23-Feb-2009, 17:36
When shooting my Crown/Speed Graphics: Is that a Hasselblad?

When shooting my 8x10 Orbit: Is that digital?

When shooting my Hasselblad: Do they still make film for those?

When carrying my Hasselblad? Photographer, huh? 35 millimeter zoom... (no idea what this was supposed to mean)

When shooting my 5x7 Graflex slr: Did you just find that in the bushes? You can't get film for those anymore, can you?

When attending the opening for a photography exhibit at a local gallery, carrying a Speed Graphic for the purpose of shooting, of course: I gave up on view cameras a long time ago. (from a show participant wielding a Canon dslr)

When asking a so called professional videographer about obtaining a strong tripod for an 8x10 camera: If you really want quality, why don't you get a d70? (true stories, all)

lungovw
23-Feb-2009, 17:53
Once shooting a landscape I was caught by a smart guy. I let him check out the image on the GG... and he said:
"this camera is more than a 100 years old... and it is not black and white?"

Wagner Lungov

Maris Rusis
23-Feb-2009, 17:58
Here are some of my stock answers when shooting with a Tachihara 810 HD and showing the camera and ground glass image.

A. Pixels? Only one but its bigger than most other peoples entire camera.
A. No, nearly brand new. That's why it's so shiny. Old lens though.
A. Image upside down? I've been meanin' to fix that old lens but I've kinda got used to it this way.
A. It's in colour! Yes, you're lucky I'm shooting colour film today. If it were black and white it wouldn't look any where near as pretty.
A. Nope! The picture is so that the highway won't be comin' through here.
A. Yes you can still get film but it's expensive; about the price of a big pizza and I have to bake my own.

Mike Tobias
24-Feb-2009, 02:12
My top three have to be:

"What size batteries does that take?"

"How far can you see with that?"

And my favorite:

"Can't you afford a digital camera?" (was while shooting my 11x14)

Mike

Chris C
24-Feb-2009, 03:38
I've never had any questions shooting my 4x5. Lots of people staring, which I think I find more off putting.
I've only had comments while shooting with my Mamiya in Nepal. But most of the time is was people impressed I'd bother lugging something that big around.

Tim k
24-Feb-2009, 07:49
My top three have to be:

"What size batteries does that take?"

Mike

When I finished building my first 4x5, and finally put it on the tripod for the first time, I had the strangest desire to try to turn it on.

John T
24-Feb-2009, 07:59
Once while focusing my 8x10, it suddenly went black. I thought that somehow the preview lever closed, but when I looked out from under the dark cloth, I found that a man had his face up against my lens trying to see what I was doing. He then asked if I was an actor and was filming a movie about an "antique photographer".

I said yes and that he ruined the take. (We were using hidden cameras so as not to accidentally get a modern camera in the scene).

John Powers
24-Feb-2009, 10:11
A year ago I had my 7x17 setup on the larger Ries tripod looking down into a canal lock. There was a long lens on so the bellows was way out. A man about my age came along the towpath on a bicycle, stopped and asked how old the camera was. I said the camera was purchased from another photographer, but I thought it was about five years old. He looked so disappointed that I said, the operator is 68 years old. Does that help? He rode on shaking his head.

John

MenacingTourist
24-Feb-2009, 10:37
The last time I was out with my Wisner 8x10 someone asked how I turned it on. He was genuine but had no point of reference. He told me he wanted to know about the camera but didn't even know what questions to ask.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
24-Feb-2009, 10:50
My great uncle had been a farmer. He came for a visit to my studio twenty years ago when he was 92 years old and watched me shoot ice cream on 8x10. There was a female food stylist with an impressive behind that caught most of his attention. After
having observed us moving the ice cream and some fruits around for awhile he asked me a serious question: Do you consider this to be a job for a grown man?

Alan Curtis
24-Feb-2009, 11:20
I was in Southern New Mexico photographing with my 4x5 Zone VI. A car pulled off the road next to me , man and woman jump out look at my camera then me, and the man says "take a picture of what he is".. it must be a good, he has "one of those cameras". She aims her point and shoot at something, presses the shutter, jumps back in the car and their off.

keith english
24-Feb-2009, 14:48
You weren't at Amalicola Falls by chance? I was there Presidents Day weekend. Many German and French visitors I believe. Lots asked how old my camera was (Zone VI 4x5) and commented on how beautiful it was. Some took pictures of me instead of the waterfall.

Alan Curtis
24-Feb-2009, 15:13
No Keith, that encounter was about 15 years ago. You pointed out what generally happens. We all get the "don't you know about digital cameras?" But the majority admire the camera and can't believe LF is so widely used. My experience is that if you have the time and patience to explain why you use a LF camera, they really appreciate the commitment and want to take a photograph of a wooden camera.

Dave Aharonian
24-Feb-2009, 15:23
I've had lots of the usual "is that a Hassleblad?" and "how many megapixels?", but my favorite was when a woman looked at my 5x7 and said "how do you turn it on?" and I said "I talk dirty to it!". She looked puzzled and walked away. Quickly.

Drew Wiley
24-Feb-2009, 16:12
With my 8x10 on a Ries tripod: Why does a surveyor need an accordion?

eddie
24-Feb-2009, 16:49
awesome stuff! i love the talk dirty one!

i am set up shooting an abstract of a brick wall. i am 4-5 feet away from a monster sized wall.

Q "what are you shooting?"

A "the wall"

Q "it is up side down"

A very surprised tone...looking quickly at the ground glass as if something was amiss.
"IT IS?!"

Q "are you a pro?"

A "no pros use digital"

my all time favorite. i was standing on the rim of bryce canyon with my 8x10 chamonix. tourists fresh off the bus were filing by like mad. it was the 1st day of great big glorious puff clouds after 5 days of boring blue skies. one tourist started talking to me about it being a hassy. the light was just coming in....i had been waiting for the perfect moment....for hours.

he asked what i was waiting for. i told him i was waiting for the perfect moment. he asked when that would be?!?!? *sigh* i told him i did not know. maybe now, maybe in an hour, or maybe it was yesterday and i missed it all together!

jnantz
24-Feb-2009, 16:56
they asked me where the cup was (http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/Organ_grinder_with_monkey.jpg)

bigdog
24-Feb-2009, 18:00
they asked me where the cup was

Does that mean you had a monkey? :eek:

jnantz
24-Feb-2009, 18:09
Does that mean you had a monkey? :eek:

of course, it was on my back as i was guzzling a large cup of coffee ... :p

Pat Kearns
24-Feb-2009, 18:43
When shooting with my Premo Pony 5x7, I get the common, Is that an antique camera? I usually say yes, but now I pull their leg a little. In all seriousness, I say it is the next generation camera-phone. They get a real puzzled look on their face and then walk slowly away trying to process my answer. It is like I turned the light switch to their brain off.:D

ImSoNegative
25-Feb-2009, 07:12
Great stuff guys!

Lon Overacker
26-Feb-2009, 16:00
I'm really surprised the name Ansel Adams hasn't been used yet. Maybe it's because I shoot in Yosemite a lot, but without fail, I always hear the name. "Did you know Ansel Adams?," or something around "just like Ansel Adams." Just this past weekend I was in Yosemite under the dark cloth near Happy Isles. I could hear two gentlemen whispering something like, "I'll bet he has a wool coat and leather shoes..." After coming out from beneath the cloth they asked the standard, "Is that an old fashioned camera?" And this is a brand new shinny Chamonix 4x5. I can see the "old fashioned" comments for the wooden field cameras like a Wista, Wisner, etc.... but c'mon now.

Also, on the same trip a friend with his Toyo in one of the meadows was asked if he was shooting bears...

And not even when out taking pictures, whenever the topic of photography gets brought up and someone eventually asks what kind of camera do you use.... And when I say I shoot large format 4x5, there's always a perplexed look in the eye... so I immediately have to use the hand/arm gestures of pulling a cloth over my head and explain, you know, like Ansel Adams..... :-)

Lon

Drew Wiley
26-Feb-2009, 16:27
Speaking of bears ... I was at the end of the road at Blue Mesa in Ariz with my Sinar
waiting on the sun. After awhile a car with NY plates pulled up with a retired couple.
The wife had a strong Brooklyn accent. Whatch doin theah? Takin a pitchah of a deah?
No, I replied. Is it a beah? No bears in this desert, Ma'am. Her husband cut in ... Stupid
photographer - takin a picture with no deer or bear in it! Then they turned around and
started walking back toward their car. Damn, he exclaimed, locked my keys in the car
- I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for that stupid photographer! Then she yells back
at him, No, yeh did it because yeh an iiiiiiidiot!

spiky247
26-Feb-2009, 16:31
"can you take a photo of me with that?"

Richard A Johnson
27-Feb-2009, 07:48
I'm surprised that this hasn't happen to any of you, I'm set up with my view camera the lighting is right I'm thinking this is going to be wonderful, and a couple or family will see me there, one of them will whisper "He must be working for the news paper or a magazine, we could be in the news". at that point they will walk slowly into my scene and stand or sit there hoping that I'll take a picture with them in my photograph. And when I ask them to move they give me this nasty look and want to know why I don't want them in my image, and who am I working for? Why would I use a camera like that if I don't work for a magazine or news paper?

Joe Forks
27-Feb-2009, 08:25
Speaking of bears ... I was at the end of the road at Blue Mesa in Ariz with my Sinar
waiting on the sun. After awhile a car with NY plates pulled up with a retired couple.
The wife had a strong Brooklyn accent. Whatch doin theah? Takin a pitchah of a deah?
No, I replied. Is it a beah? No bears in this desert, Ma'am. Her husband cut in ... Stupid
photographer - takin a picture with no deer or bear in it! Then they turned around and
started walking back toward their car. Damn, he exclaimed, locked my keys in the car
- I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for that stupid photographer! Then she yells back
at him, No, yeh did it because yeh an iiiiiiidiot!

That is funny stuff Drew. Of course I sounded out the accent and laughed out loud. I shouldn't talk though, strong Texan accent here.

Frank Petronio
27-Feb-2009, 08:54
It's not just the general public, but sometimes photographers can be pretty dumb themselves.... I got banned from PNet for posting a mock thread in which I was a newbie complaining that my new 4x5 must be broken or maladjusted because the ground glass image was upside down and reversed.

The thread went to 30-40 earnestly helpful photographers falling all over themselves to explain what was going on. Finally someone pointed out the absurdity of the original post and somebody got pissed off for being made light of.

I did better when I posted a photo of my stripped down to bare-metal Technika with the comment that i bought it military surplus from NASA, it was one of the lunar Technikas ;-) A dozen esteemed photographers feel for that one too, I should have sold it for $$$$.

Sorry for being a troll. I would never do that here Ralph ;-)

"Which gun is most like a Leica?" that was another great thread!

gevalia
27-Feb-2009, 10:56
At Bryce last October I was asked how many megapixels were in that thing.

Daniel_Buck
27-Feb-2009, 11:41
the most common one I get is

"can you still get film for that" and "is that an old camera?"

jnantz
27-Feb-2009, 12:23
"if you take my portrait with that can you make me look "good" "
"is that real, what a hallucination"

Frank Petronio
27-Feb-2009, 12:38
Yeah if I hear "But I'll break your camera..." one more time!

RooX
27-Feb-2009, 13:20
got two last night from co workers (had my new 'dorff out on my desk playing with it)

- Where are the batteries stored?

- How many megapixels?

walter23
27-Feb-2009, 13:42
Well, there's the usual "does that only shoot in black and white?".. other than that most people don't really seem to notice the LF camera, or they're too busy looking fashionable to admit they've noticed it ;)

ic-racer
27-Feb-2009, 14:02
When I'm using my Century and I am asked if it is an "old camera" I say yes. Since this is the 'expected answer' onlookers sometimes seem to be content with that and move along without having to expend more than the minimum of gray matter synaptic neurotransmitter.

al olson
1-Mar-2009, 07:08
I have to admit to making the dumb remark. I was at Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia a few years ago. I had left my Linhof in the car while I walked around the marina scouting for possibilities.

On one of the large docks there was a photographer under the dark cloth of a 4x5 I didn't recognize. When he brought his head out I walked up and asked him, "What kind of a camera is that?"

I immediately realized my error, as he started giving me an annoyed description of LF photography. I quickly explained that I knew LF, had my Linhof with me in the car, and I was really asking about the make and model of his camera. It was a Sinar, the first I had ever seen.

We then had a pleasant chat about lenses, films, and subject matter for making good images from this over-photographed locale.

G Benaim
1-Mar-2009, 11:22
I was once asked, in all seriousness, if my ancient Rolleiflex was digital.

Giovanni Peretti
1-Mar-2009, 15:06
It's amazing, "is it a hasselblad?" seems to be an evergreen, asked at every latitude, even here in Italy.

Some time ago, at about 4:30 in the night, I was taking night pictures with my 4x5 wooden field camera, along the streets of my hometown, Verona.
A police car stopped, a policeman and a policewoman come out and began asking me questions: who are you? what are you doing? why?
After having examined my ID card and decided I wasn't dangerous, the policeman asked me: "Are you taking pictures of night birds?"
"No... I'm just taking a picture of the street. Look, that one".
"Oh, so yours is one of those cameras whose iris opens veeery slooowly and then closes veeery slooowly?".
Silence.
"Well... yes, exactly".
We talked for a while about photography, dawn came.
It was weird.

Another night I was taking some pictures in a deserted square. Nobody around, just a few cars parked here and there.
While focusing under the dark cloth I realized there was a couple having sex in a car right about two meters away from me (how could I not notice them?!?).
I heard them stopping... making noise: they had noticed me. A guy with an "old camera" taking a picture of a church, at 4 in the night, right a few steps away from them.
Freezed under the dark cloth I really didn't know what to do. You know, after having set up the camera and done all that tilting and swinging and focusing...
I decided to give them something to talk about with their friends, took my picture and then quietly packed my gear and went away.
While packing I couldn't help looking at them for a second.
I'll never forget their expression.
They surely must have been thinking: "Can he still find film for that?".

David Karp
1-Mar-2009, 15:13
I think that the "Is that a Hasselblad" question is kind of complimentary. These people have doubtless heard that the Hassy was the ultimate in quality. They just see this big old camera, and figure that this must be the "real deal."

Ole Tjugen
1-Mar-2009, 15:27
It's amazing, "is it a hasselblad?" seems to be an evergreen, asked at every latitude, even here in Italy. ...

I had a very long and interesting conversation with a retired photographer in Genova. At least I think it was interesting, since he spoke only Genovese and I speak very little Italian. But at least he correctly identified my "Spede Graffica" ;)

Paul Metcalf
2-Mar-2009, 08:10
the most common one I get is ..."is that an old camera?" Most common for me, by far. Simple answer: "nope, but the photographer is!"

Preston
2-Mar-2009, 09:01
Many beers ago, I was set up near the Merced River in Yosemite making a shot of Yosemite Falls with my OmegaView 45E. I heard gentle footfalls behind me, and, after coming from under the cloth, saw an elderly gent curiously observing what I was doing.

I said, "Hello". He nodded, and said, "Ya". I realized he was from Germany and spoke no English. He pointed to my camera and indicated he'd like to look. So, I draped the cloth over him. He stood there looking at GG for a couple of mintues, took off the cloth and then with a big smile, said, "Wunderbar!" It made my day!

-Preston

Clement Apffel
2-Mar-2009, 12:16
We have all the classics here too. but the one I hear the most is "is that a video camera ?"

But so far, the better one I heard was this one :

Last year, I was taking a picture of a photographic exhibition of Paolo Roversi.
It was settled in a church.

The camera was a 4x5" Cambo SCX.

A little group entered the exhibition with a guide. they looked the pics, the guide was doing his job on commenting the pics. and when passing by me, I was under the dark cloth in order to avoid questions as the shot was tricky and I needed to focus.

And I heard the guide explaining :
"Oh look : this camera is a large format camera, just like the one Roversi uses for his work."

No harm so far. but full of disdain he added :

"But of course, this one is digital."

Daniel_Buck
2-Mar-2009, 12:57
Most common for me, by far. Simple answer: "nope, but the photographer is!"

I usually just say "yes, it is!". The few times I said "no, actually it's only about 1 year old!" I had to explain for a few minutes that people actually still make large format cameras brand new. So from now on, I just agree with them that it's an old camera, to keep the conversation short :)

bvstaples
2-Mar-2009, 13:27
Lots of great "questions" here, so if I may, I'd like to put a little twist on the thread...

How many of you out there have been photographed using your LF camera? I recently went to a group photo shoot, and everyone there was laden down with digital equipment. I of course had my trusty Cambo 4x5 with me. I remember emerging from under the cloth, only to see about half a dozen photographers shooting me! There was even a small gallery of me under the dark cloth, and various angled shots of the camera itself, set up on the local forum.

I also photograph in San Diego's Balboa Park on occasion, and I probably have hundreds of pictures of me taken with everything from cell phones to high-end dSLRs (but I can't recall any film cameras shooting me). I've even had video shot of me. One guy wanted me to explain the whole process, so I gave him about 6 minutes of commentary and demonstration.

Brian

Tri Tran
2-Mar-2009, 13:29
This is what I heard when I used my 20x24 Chamonix.... " Dude, this guy is taking picture using his plasma TV" ????

Greg Blank
2-Mar-2009, 18:45
In between college and my photographic work I did land surveying, one day I had the transit set up, some lady asked me what I was taking pictures of.... go figure :)

On the edge of the Grand Canyon (South Rim), I was asked what I was surveying. Most other comments were about the age of the camera.

Vaughn

Winger
2-Mar-2009, 19:54
How many of you out there have been photographed using your LF camera?
I was. I had my Cambo 4x5 at Cucumber Falls in Ohiopyle Park (one of my favorite local places) and several people started nice conversations. One guy, with a digi P&S, talked about having used medium format in the past and asked if he could take some shots of me for his blog (he's also a cyclist and blogs about it). He even e-mailed them to me. Considering that not many people here shoot film (and you can't buy much locally), I usually meet people who know what I'm doing and what I'm using.

ImSoNegative
2-Mar-2009, 21:04
I was shooting a really cool looking tree at a local state park. Lots of folks around. This young man looked to be about 22 walks up a trail near where I was standing with my 8x10. I was setting the aperature on my lens. I could here him wowing to his girlfriend about my camera. He told me he was taking a photo class at his college. His gf asked me if it was digital before I could answer, the fellow piped up "honey that camera there takes photography to a completely different level". He then asked me if he could take a picture of me using my camera. I said. " Friend I will do better than than that. I will take a picture of you using my camera". His face lit up. I took about 6 images of him using my camera. All he did was look through the glass and move the aperature a bit but on the digital camera he looked like a pro. He thanked me and said he couldn't wait to show his class. Just to say that few minutes made my day

JBrunner
2-Mar-2009, 21:51
I was set up by the side of a gravel road in rural western North Dakota, photographing a lone tree (most in ND are). A pickup rattled up (In ND trucks are trucks and pickups are not confused with them) and a grizzled rancher got out and began to quiz me on the progress of getting the road paved. I was a bit confused for a minute until I realized he thought I was a surveyor.

Clement Apffel
3-Mar-2009, 01:11
How many of you out there have been photographed using your LF camera?

countless of time.

And once by René Burri with his Leica.
My SCX was settled at 3m height I was on a ladder, under the dark cloth.
I didn't even noticed him.

When I finally came out from beneath the DC, my friend told me he took some shots of me. including one where he laid down on the ground to compose his frame.

I only saw him walking away.
If I had seen him, I would have been the one asking silly questions. :rolleyes:

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2009, 11:13
Well there's one more anecdote I have to share. I had come out of the high country
on a backpack trip with a friend. Along Hwy 395 in the eastern Sierra there are some
dirt side roads. One of them is basically a geology field trip with information markers at
the turnouts. At one of these spots I had climbed several hundred feet up an obsidian
dome and was composing a shot on an outcrop with my Sinar. Then a jeep with a family of four pulled up and they walked over to my friend. "What's he doing up there?" "He's a geologist measuring continental drift. But you'd better be prepared to move fast, because the earth could open up at any moment and you might fall in!" They looked genuinely panicked as they all jumped back into the jeep and sped off.

bigdog
3-Mar-2009, 11:52
I was a bit confused for a minute until I realized he thought I was a surveyor.

Three of us were set up at a rural church's grounds when a pickup (did I use the right term? :p ) roared up and screeched to a halt. A rather agitated gentleman got out but deflated once he realized what we were doing. I think he thought we were the state about to inflict imminent domain. :eek:

al olson
3-Mar-2009, 14:02
Giovanni's story reminded me of an experience that took place six or seven years ago. Back then a friend and I would make two or three trips a year from northern Virginia to Baltimore's Inner Harbor for some predawn and early morning photography.

It was about this time of year and we were there easily an hour before sunrise. My friend decided to take his Nikon F5 and climb Federal Hill to get a few shots of the harbor. Not wishing to climb the hill with my Linhof and tripod I headed over to the transient dock to set up and wait for the sunrise.

Excursion boats were tied up to some of the other piers, but there was only one lone yacht, about 30 foot, at the transient dock. I walked past and set up my tripod and camera and exposed a couple of images of the harbor lights while waiting for the sunrise to emerge.

As I was waiting I suddenly heard this splish-splat, splish-splat, splish-splat ... , in a rhythm that we all recognize. I looked over my shoulder and could see the yacht rolling from side to side in the same rhythm, generating little wavelets that were slapping against the water line. It had not occurred to me that there were people aboard the boat.

I considered packing up my gear and moving to another pier when suddenly the sunrise colors began to glow. I began exposing Portra VC. The lady of the boat came out of the cabin to sit in the cockpit and enjoy the sunrise. She was friendly and remarked that she had not seen a camera like mine for quite a while. She tried to coax her male friend to view the sunrise from the cockpit but he refused to leave the cabin.

By this time my friend joined me on the pier and began also shooting images of the harbor with his 35mm. The lady was very hospitable, offering us hot chocolate (it was nippy) and coffee but we politely declined.

This sunrise was one of the most impressive I had seen in years. It was like watching a kaleidoscope, changing from pinks and blues to orange and then to magentas and reds. We continued to expose film for over 40 minutes, including all eight of my loaded film holders. During this entire time, the lady's friend refused to come out of the cabin.

As we left, my friend was pondering on why her friend refused to leave the cabin. I filled him in on the earlier event. To this day I don't know if he was embarassed because it was obvious that I knew what they were doing, or if he was afraid that he might get photographed with the wrong lady. However, it did not seem to bother her one bit.

Nigels
9-Mar-2009, 07:52
Whilst setting up for this image in Switzerland;
http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/participants/N_Sutton/Matterhorn.htm
I was approach by two Japanese tourists who seem so amazed at the image on the GG that they promptly photographed my GG with their digital compacts before continueing on their way looking extremely pleased. I always wonder if they actually took the proper shot that I took that day.

Steve Gledhill
9-Mar-2009, 10:41
I was approach by two Japanese tourists who seem so amazed at the image on the GG that they promptly photographed my GG with their digital compacts before continueing on their way looking extremely pleased. I always wonder if they actually took the proper shot that I took that day.

I do that myself sometimes - and I'm not a Japanese tourist. But in this case I was a British tourist: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=368306#post368306

gevalia
9-Mar-2009, 11:33

I was out this Saturday and came upon a wooden bridge over a creek that was trimmed by a rockwall covered in thawed ferns and moss. All this with a few inches of "pristine" snow - the effect was great. As I'm setting up, a guy and his wife come up behind me, look at my GG, and say hi. Then as I'm dialing in the focus, he walks right into the snow where I am focusing, snaps a pic with his cell phone, and walks away.

If it wasn't for bad luck, . . .

SteveH
10-Mar-2009, 16:07
I often get asked if I'm making a movie.
If I'm out at night I occasionally get asked if I'm spying on someone (and occaisionally get threatened with the police).

My favourite however was once, shooting a landscape in Northern Aus. a couple of young kids came up and said
"hey Mister why do you have your head under a cloth?"
I replied in a deep gruff voice
"Because I'm VERY VERY UGLY!!!" whilst peeking out from under the cloth.
The looks on their faces was priceless.

rob cruickshank
11-Mar-2009, 15:06

And you didn't even have a Mountie in the shot? :)

I get "Is this going to be on TV?" a lot. Which is odd, since these days a big sneeze will probably attract a satellite truck or two, you'd think people would have a pretty good idea of what a TV camera looks like by now.

G Benaim
11-Mar-2009, 15:45
About my KMV 8x10, most common questions:
Is that a camera? No.
Does it work? No, I just like standing around w it.

neil poulsen
11-Mar-2009, 21:38
I think it's kind of funny, when people photograph me taking a photograph.

Another LF photographer told me what I thought was a humerous story. He had just moved into an area, and to get to know other photographers, he started a camera club. But, everyone else had digital cameras. He felt so out of place, that he stopped going.

Duane Polcou
12-Mar-2009, 01:19
Cape Royal, Grand Canyon North Rim, set up for sunset. A fellow with a 35mm film SLR inquires about my camera. I take about 10 minutes explaining to him about film formats, the differences between sheet film and 35mm film casettes, that I am shooting 4x5 Black and White, on and on.

When I finish my explanation, he asks "The roll of film in my camera is my last roll. Can you sell me some?"

rvhalejr
15-Mar-2009, 14:31
This is not all that funny, perhaps ironic (or maybe moronic) during difficult times.

I had set up the 4x5 in an upper bedroom that had an outstanding view of rolling hills, oaks and skyline across the way as a staging prop to emphasize the view as the property had been sitting on the market way to long.

Clients eventually showed up and asked if the speed graphic was a real antique. No, I replied, its actually a piece of functional art. The view on the GG was well lit up at f4 and people were drawn to its the image. I also stacked film holders on the window sill for added emphasis.

I had mentioned to the Realtor that the listing picture was a textbook example of poor photography to which he replied "no-one buys a house because of a picture". I had also set up the master bedroom with Soft Boxes to emphasize the photography theme (the lighting in that room was awful in the evening) to which the dear wife reacted to with some embarrassment

None of the equipment left there was all that expensive (considering the cost of the house sitting there staged and empty) , the tripods were heavy duty, sand bagged and the bases were protected buy umbrellas on the floor.

About a week later multiple offers came in and the property sold. Even though a "picture" did not sell that house a large format camera and photography equipment (posing as functional art) certainly did, a lot better than what the Realtor's stager had brought in.

Kevin Crisp
15-Mar-2009, 15:16
In Central Washington State, next to an 8X10 on a tripod, dark cloth over my shoulder, just pulled the slide out in front of an abandoned farmhouse: "Hey, what are you doing?"

Andrew O'Neill
15-Mar-2009, 15:40
When I'm out shooting, I like to get in the "zone" like a good goalie. I know there are people around me and they're saying something but I don't listen. I get really upset if people start talking to me during the process.
I find shooting in the city to be the MOST challenging for me. I'm naturally quite shy and don't have much self-confidence. It's a HUGE effort for me to set up on a busy street with lots of people milling about. Thank God for the dark cloth!!
I have an Lfer friend who goes out shooting with me and sometimes he'll start shouting when I'm under the dark cloth, "IS THAT A JAPANESE LENS?"

John Bowen
15-Mar-2009, 15:57
About my KMV 8x10, most common questions:
Is that a camera? No.
Does it work? No, I just like standing around w it.

Next time just tell them that it used to work, but you think the batteries must be dead :eek:

Frank Petronio
15-Mar-2009, 16:33
You could mess with someone's head if you started inserting batteries and CF cards into your 8x10 ;-) The ULF ones take D-cells.

Jim Graves
15-Mar-2009, 17:53
That's a Hasselblad, isn't it? ... I said Yes. It was a Chicago View Whole Plate with a no-name lens on it ... couldabeen a Hasselblad!

Tom Coverdale
15-Mar-2009, 18:50
With my Master Technika 2000 in a Sacremento City Park...."What kind of batteries does it use?" I said "manual ones!" He grunted and walked away....I took the shot.:o

Gordon Moat
15-Mar-2009, 19:01
I was actually asked today if I had made the camera myself. Definitely something I had never heard previously. I replied that I wish I had, and then I let him look at the image on the ground glass. Most people asked me what I was photographing, perhaps not understanding where the camera was pointed. One guy did comment quite a bit about one old building I was photographing, which was actually cool. I would much rather talk about what I am photographing, than what I am using to make an image.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Sanjay Sen
15-Mar-2009, 22:05
I've had lots of the usual "is that a Hassleblad?" and "how many megapixels?", but my favorite was when a woman looked at my 5x7 and said "how do you turn it on?" and I said "I talk dirty to it!". She looked puzzled and walked away. Quickly.

This is my favorite by far! :D

I've only had good experiences so far when I'm out with my LF cameras, besides the usual "is that an old camera?" question. When people show interest, I normally explain what I'm doing and let them have a look under the dark cloth. They are usually quite impressed with the GG view, thank me and move on.

I do get a lot of compliments when I'm out with the Zone VI 4x5 - "oh, that's such a beautiful camera!"

eric mac
16-Mar-2009, 14:38
"That's an old fashioned camera, isn't it?" asked a pretty lady looking over my Zone Vi 4x5.

"Sort of." I replied "Its about 20 years old I think."

"You'd look a lot better if you had period clothing" she replied.

"I am wearing period clothing," I thought looking over my flannel shirt and jeans from the Grunge era of the late 80's.

Eric

Jay W
16-Mar-2009, 16:03
When we're traveling, my wife usually joins me on my 4x5 treks. She's the social one, so she's good at fielding the camera questions. When someone asked, "Is that a Hasselbald," my wife answered with just the right amount of disgust in her voice and said, "No, but he has one of those too." When I'm asked about switching to digital, my wife disagrees says that I need a heavy backpack so she can keep up with me. (All of this gets a laugh.)

One time, a guy was set up with his 8x10 and I set up my 4x5. We talked a bit and then a third guy came along and set up another 4x5. That's when my wife started taking pictures of us.

Jay

(It takes a long time to back up 80 gig.)

Kevin Crisp
16-Mar-2009, 18:47
I was out at the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve last year, and from a distance saw this happening to the one and only LF photographer I saw that day.

I am sure if he wasn't getting lots of questions he was surely getting very annoyed. Maybe it was one of you.

Armin Seeholzer
17-Mar-2009, 14:41
Oh mam have a look he must be a pro with this large cam.
It was my Sinar F 1
Is this an old movie cam when I used the 8x10 Burke & James battle ship grey one with red bellows!

Cheers Armin

Henry Ambrose
17-Mar-2009, 19:08
"Are you takin' pitchers?"

Sanjay Sen
17-Mar-2009, 20:13
"Are you takin' pitchers?"

I'm curious, what is your response to this? :D

Pietro
20-Mar-2009, 15:56
Well the joke, and advice, I tell my students here is, if you're using a camera on a tripod wear a HiVis fluorescent jacket (like all the road maintenance guys) and you won't have a problem. If anyone asks, "I don't know mate/buddy I'm just takin a picture...." A plastic helmet might help too.

Peter

mpirie
23-Mar-2009, 12:26
I was getting ready to shoot in Bodie National Park in 2008 ready to make the photo after taking ages to setup, waiting for both the sun and the people to move (both were in the wrong places). So i stood there soaking up the beauty of the place with my wife while the sun took it's time to move and of course you couldn't help but look at the reaction of the people walking past such a beautiful place without even raising their eyes when an archetypal citizen walked past me, glanced at the camera and exclaimed "what an antique!", so i turned to him and said "excuse me?", he apologised profusely and said he meant the camera.

I don't know what upset me more, the prospect of me or my 2 year old camera being called an antique? I guess in the world silicon, a 2 year old camera IS an antique. I'm disappointed that being 47 is antiquated too. :eek:

Mike

wfwhitaker
24-Mar-2009, 18:45
This actually happened to me a long, long time ago when I was just getting started in photography. Fortunately someone was there to document the whole thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPVxSWBAtmM

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Mar-2009, 19:46
In October of '08 I was on the Skunk trail up in the Redwoods in Northern California with my 8x10 set up at full extension on a group of three mushrooms. The exposure is going to be something like 8-9 minutes and I'm ready to pull the slide when I notice this couple coming up the trail. I decide to wait for it? The women comes running up to me and says very seriously "Are you someone famous?" I looked at her with a very serious look on my face and said " Yes, I'm Ansel Adams cousin!" I thought she was going to faint! She asked my name and I told her. How disappointed she must have been when she got home and googled my name only to find posts on the forums and no website. I really like messing with people. It sure is fun. Not like they do not deserve it!

Jim

Vaughn
24-Mar-2009, 20:10
Jim, that would have been the Skunk Cabbage Trail, you stinker! LOL!

Vaughn
PS...I have been asked the "Are you somebody famous?" question, too.

tom north
27-Mar-2009, 13:28
I was in the catacombs in Paris with my home built 5 x 7 I call Nadar. My intent was to do serious skullduggery with dark inky shadows in the backdrop. I found the perfect spot. Dirty, dark, damp, a place where a claustrophobic could crawl out of his skin. There were neat orderly rows of vertebrae, carpals, pelvics, clavicles, femurs, tibias, fibulas and several thousand skulls. You name it, all 206 bones of a typical human skeleton laid out like a Versace fashon display in an outlet mall. I set up Nadar and took a light reading and thought to myself, who am I kidding? A stinkin light meter ain't tell me anything HERE. The reseprosity failure alone will kick me from here to Les Deux Magots. I have ta think out of the box. I set the aperture at f16, put the timer on B and held on for dear life. My knuckles were white as I held on to the shutter release, hoping for a break to achieve the perfect combination of sensitivity and creative cryptic response to my surroundings. I took 2-3 pictures that day, all technically good but looking like bla, however I met about 20 people in that lousy rat hole full of bones. They all were coming out of the woodwork asking me stuff about taking pictures, in every language thinking I was some kinda expert. Imagine that.

Mike V
27-Mar-2009, 14:38
When I am in the field with the wista or sinar f1 I find myself talking more than taking a picture. It hasnt for me yet but I can see it striking up a sale. Hopefully once people see LF photog's working in the field they understand the time and effort that goes into a shot.

The only one that springs to mind is:

''Is that an industrial camera?''