PDA

View Full Version : Sinar’s technique for applying grid lines

Robert Fisher
22-Feb-2009, 13:24
Can anyone suggest how to duplicate Sinar’s technique for applying grid lines on GG?
It appears to be a stencil type appliqué baked (?) onto the frosty side of the glass.
Thanks much for any and all suggestions.

erie patsellis
22-Feb-2009, 13:42
quite likely screen printed lacquer.

Drew Wiley
22-Feb-2009, 17:11
It comes right off with solvent like acetone, so must be some kind of lacquer or glass paint. All you need is an Ultra-fine-point Sharpie pen and a ruler, as long as you don't use lens cleaners containing alcohol to clean the gg.

Robert Fisher
22-Feb-2009, 17:24
Drew, speaking from experience, water displaces the grids.

Nathan Potter
22-Feb-2009, 20:12
I have used a Rapidograph fine tip pen with india ink on fairly fine GG. The glass needs to be carefully cleaned with a detergent and dried prior to ruling. The ruling does eventually come off with use and occasional cleaning though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

venchka
26-Feb-2009, 09:09
I have used a Rapidograph fine tip pen with india ink on fairly fine GG. The glass needs to be carefully cleaned with a detergent and dried prior to ruling. The ruling does eventually come off with use and occasional cleaning though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Rapidograph. I remember them well. They kept me employed prior to being replaced by a computer in 1981.

Not too many folks today would even know what you're talking about Nate.

Harold_4074
26-Feb-2009, 12:16
Rapidograph. I remember them well. They kept me employed prior to being replaced by a computer in 1981.

Not too many folks today would even know what you're talking about Nate.

Sure, and if you had the Unitech or Rapidograph lettering guides, you could personalize the ground glass with your name and address! :)

More nearly on topic: if you are about to rule lines on a groundglass, you might try to hunt down someone with a drafting machine, or at least a drawing board and T-square. A ruled glass with non-parallel or non-orthogonal lines would be really counterproductive. Unless you wanted to be able to exactly reproduce the angle of converging verticals...

(And yes: I have a T-square, and I know how to use it!)

RichardRitter
26-Feb-2009, 15:28
Very sharp pencil on the ground side will work. It can be washed off.

Peter De Smidt
26-Feb-2009, 15:31
A sharp pencil does work well.

Drew Wiley
26-Feb-2009, 16:13
Robert - if water removed it, it's obviously wrong kind of ink. You want a pen marked
"permanent/waterproof/all surfaces". Another thing that works is very fine graphic arts
tape. It's available down to 1/32" wide in vinyl or mylar. Some art stores still carry this
kind of thing.