PDA

View Full Version : Completely clueless about my camera. Please help.

missbegotten
21-Feb-2009, 21:22
Hello

I recently purchased an old Speed Graphic 4x5 camera on eBay. I am quite familiar with Medium Format photography, but have no experience with LF photography, so please go easy on me if my questions seem "stupid" :)

Anyway, i just now got a chance to check out this camera and i am kind of clueless as to how to use it. Is there an online VISUAL tutorial to help with this?

I also have some questions about the camera's working aspects. I am confused how to focus an image. When i open the hood in the back of the camera and expose the ground glass, aren't i supposed to see an image of what i want to take a picture of? All i see is my own reflection.

And how do you actually take a photograph with this camera? I see that there is a shutter release, but there are also other levers on the lens itself which seem like they need to be used in conjunction with the shutter release in order to open and close the shutter. Am i wrong on this?

I guess i am looking for examples on how to use this particular camera. I got a book from the library but it demonstrates only on Monorail cameras and not the older press cameras. I found a manual online but i am not having much luck following that.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
K

Jim Galli
21-Feb-2009, 22:24
Hi K. Although it may seem mysterious now you'll find the old speed very easy to use once you get a couple of things figured out. Some speed graphics have a focal plane shutter right back next to the ground glass. If the shutter is cocked all you'll see is black canvas. If you trip the rear lever a few times until it settles at "O" you'll have an open area in the shutter for focusing. Also the lens must be held open at wide aperture to get an image on the glass. Different lenses had different ways to do this and I'm not sure which one you have. If it has a 'T' setting, choose that, cock it and open it 'T' and it should stay open. Now pull the front standard out to the 'stops' on the rail. Typically these are set at very near infinity for the normal lens on the camera. At this point you should be able to see an image on the Ground Glass. Then you'll have to find a focus point, focus by driving the bed in and out with the small wheel on the right side toward the front. Stop down until for and aft are all sharp, find a shutter speed for that aperture and film you're using, set the shutter, cock it, install film holder, pull darkslide, and trip the shutter.

Also there is a lot of fine info at www.graflex.org

Andrew
21-Feb-2009, 23:29
I've been where you are now...

you can find pdf files of the original manuals here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/large_format.htm

if you send me a private message with your email address I can make you an "idiots guide to speed graphics" and point out the things it took me a while to work out

important point: does your camera have the graflok back? if you're not sure which back you have post a picture of it

Andrew
21-Feb-2009, 23:53
and if you're really new to it you might like the video tutorial on how to load the film holders
http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/10/26/how-to-load-large-format-film-video-tutorial/

RickV
21-Feb-2009, 23:59
There's a world of video tutorials out there:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=4x5+view+camera&aq=f

missbegotten
22-Feb-2009, 14:03
Hi K. Although it may seem mysterious now you'll find the old speed very easy to use once you get a couple of things figured out. Some speed graphics have a focal plane shutter right back next to the ground glass. If the shutter is cocked all you'll see is black canvas. If you trip the rear lever a few times until it settles at "O" you'll have an open area in the shutter for focusing. Also the lens must be held open at wide aperture to get an image on the glass. Different lenses had different ways to do this and I'm not sure which one you have. If it has a 'T' setting, choose that, cock it and open it 'T' and it should stay open. Now pull the front standard out to the 'stops' on the rail. Typically these are set at very near infinity for the normal lens on the camera. At this point you should be able to see an image on the Ground Glass. Then you'll have to find a focus point, focus by driving the bed in and out with the small wheel on the right side toward the front. Stop down until for and aft are all sharp, find a shutter speed for that aperture and film you're using, set the shutter, cock it, install film holder, pull darkslide, and trip the shutter.

Also there is a lot of fine info at www.graflex.org
Thank you Jim! I am going to try what you said sometime this week. I am sure i will have more questions and get back to you at some point!

missbegotten
22-Feb-2009, 14:06
Yes, i have the manual from there but it honestly doesn't answer a lot of the questions that i have. So i am going for the "idiots guide" you are offering. How do i PM you?

I think it does have a Graflok back but i will take a picture so you can see it to be sure

Thank you!

I've been where you are now...

you can find pdf files of the original manuals here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/large_format.htm

if you send me a private message with your email address I can make you an "idiots guide to speed graphics" and point out the things it took me a while to work out

important point: does your camera have the graflok back? if you're not sure which back you have post a picture of it

missbegotten
22-Feb-2009, 14:07
and if you're really new to it you might like the video tutorial on how to load the film holders
http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/10/26/how-to-load-large-format-film-video-tutorial/

I am so new to it that i need a tutorial to tell me how to trip the shutter to take a picture and how to focus and how the polaroid back fits on the camera. I am so new to this that i am an embryo!

missbegotten
22-Feb-2009, 14:08
There's a world of video tutorials out there:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=4x5+view+camera&aq=f

Thank you. I will check that out!

Filmnut
22-Feb-2009, 14:29
I second the great info at graflex.org!

Juergen Sattler
22-Feb-2009, 14:47
OK - I gotta ask - why did you buy a Large Format Camera? Obviously you do not know the first thing about them - I don't want to come over as being mean - but I have to wonder what you were thinking!? I would think that anybody who buys one of these has a basic understanding of how they work and that they have NOTHING in common with MF or 35mm photography.

The smartest way to figure out how to work a Speed Graphic is to find someone in your area to show you the basics - I am not sure a forum can teach you everything you need to know - like operating the shutter, opening the rear curtain, loading film holders, un-loading them, using a darkcloth, etc.etc.

missbegotten
22-Feb-2009, 16:09
OK - I gotta ask - why did you buy a Large Format Camera? Obviously you do not know the first thing about them - I don't want to come over as being mean - but I have to wonder what you were thinking!? I would think that anybody who buys one of these has a basic understanding of how they work and that they have NOTHING in common with MF or 35mm photography.

The smartest way to figure out how to work a Speed Graphic is to find someone in your area to show you the basics - I am not sure a forum can teach you everything you need to know - like operating the shutter, opening the rear curtain, loading film holders, un-loading them, using a darkcloth, etc.etc.

I bought one for probably the same reason that you did when you first bought one... because i want to learn the medium and how to work with these cameras. Why else would you think i would buy one? Your asking me that question *almost* sounds more ignorant than any of the questions i have asked so far. You said you weren't trying to sound mean, but that is exactly how you sounded. Everyone else here on this board has been really nice to me so far because they were all novices at one time too.

I am now working with medium format and am well aware of the fact that they are quite different than LF cameras. None of us were born knowing how to walk or talk. It was something that we had to learn. And that is what i am trying to do with my camera. So don't try to make me feel bad for asking questions and wanting to learn about LF cameras and photography. I have to start somewhere. Just like you did when you picked up your first LF camera.

ic-racer
22-Feb-2009, 16:16
A Graphic is a good camera to start with, nice choice.
You probably see your own face on the ground glass because the shutter is not open. Some lenses have a separate lever to open the shutter for viewing, others need to be set to "T" or "B" to hold the shutter open. Some lenses need to be cocked before the lever to open the blades will work. If you post a picture of your lens I'm sure we can figure it out for you. Obviously after focusing, you need to close the shutter again before putting the film holder in place. You will need to have the camera on a tripod when doing this. If you want to hand hold the camera, there should be a rangefinder on the top or side. It would need to be set for your particular lens and this may be easy or difficult depending on what you have.

Here is the manual. Check pages 10-17 for your shutter type. This may help you to find out how it works: http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/pacemaker_speedgraphic_1000.pdf

ImSoNegative
22-Feb-2009, 18:21
I think the speed graphic is the best camera to learn on. When I read the post about u seeing nothing but your reflection I couldn't help but laugh because the same thing happend to me. Lol. What lens came with it? Mine came with the 127 ektar. Great little lens. I still have my graphic but don't use it anymore. Good luck with yours and stick with it. Its a great format

Archphoto
22-Feb-2009, 18:44
Funny, but in the verry early 80's I bought a 4x5 and knew nothing about a TC.
I learned from books and practice, no internet then.
Some 30 years later the TC is my domain for many, many years.

Somehow we all have to go through a learning process and asking for help is a part of that.

Peter

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 06:40
At least you didn't ask how to open the camera.

Hopefully the infinity stops are in the upright position. If not, they flip up with a fingernail under the moving part. Turn the front standard locking lever (below the lens board-usually has a hole in the end) toward the front of the bed. Pull the front standard out to the stops and turn the lever back to the lock position. Cock the shutter on the lens. There should be a half round button on the top side of the shutter. Hold it down and trip the shutter release. The shutter opens and stays open. Move the aperture ring to wide open. Now look at the ground glass. If you don't see any daylight, move the Front-Rear lever on the lower right side of the body to Rear. Loog through the ground glass and operate the body release. You should hear and see the focal plane shutter working. Press the release until the sutter stays open. Stop there. Or, you can press the body release one more time and the shutter will close. Now turn the winding key (upper right side of body) and watch the focal plane shutter open. Piece of cake. Focus, compose, etc. Recock the lens shutter to close it before taking a picture.

Enjoy!

Garry Madlung
23-Feb-2009, 09:51
Where do you live? Perhaps someone on this forum would spend an afternoon having you tag along while they demonstrate a few points. That would clear up a number of questions you have. It's useful to observe someone else in order to become acquainted with the shooting process.

Yes, books will help, but a personal tutorial is the quickest way to learn. When I moved from medium format to large format I had someone spend time with me on the camera. It doesn't have to be the same camera you have. The principals are similar.

With LF, you'll still be doing photography, only now with more control over the framing of a scene. Good luck and enjoy!

seabird
23-Feb-2009, 14:11
I'd also recommend picking up a book like Steve Simmons' "Using the View Camera". I too came to LF via MF and I know that when I started out I found that book to be an invaluable guide to summarising a lot of the stuff that is LF specific (movements, lens coverage etc etc). Similarly, the info on the home page of this site is a great resource.

Dont be afraid to ask questions but be gracious about the answers you receive and you'll find a lot of people more than willing to help !

Regards

Carey Bird

P.S. There is also nothing wrong with being a bit thick-skinned and just ignoring some of the answers/comments/remarks you get.

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 14:17
I have a copy of Steve's book. I have a Speed Graphic. There might be a paragraph in the book about press cameras. That's about it. Best thing would be if missbegotten can find a Graphic owner for a nice thorough test drive. I would and have volunteered the same for new Graphic owners when I have met them.

I'm in houston, TX if anyone has questions about Speed Graphics.

missbegotten
23-Feb-2009, 21:18
A Graphic is a good camera to start with, nice choice.
You probably see your own face on the ground glass because the shutter is not open. Some lenses have a separate lever to open the shutter for viewing, others need to be set to "T" or "B" to hold the shutter open. Some lenses need to be cocked before the lever to open the blades will work. If you post a picture of your lens I'm sure we can figure it out for you. Obviously after focusing, you need to close the shutter again before putting the film holder in place. You will need to have the camera on a tripod when doing this. If you want to hand hold the camera, there should be a rangefinder on the top or side. It would need to be set for your particular lens and this may be easy or difficult depending on what you have.

Here is the manual. Check pages 10-17 for your shutter type. This may help you to find out how it works: http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/pacemaker_speedgraphic_1000.pdf

Thank you for the link to that manual. It seems much better than the one i presently have, which looks like a condensed version of the one on the link you gave.

I will get a picture of my lens and get it up here as soon as i can. Thank you for your time and help!

missbegotten
23-Feb-2009, 21:19
I think the speed graphic is the best camera to learn on. When I read the post about u seeing nothing but your reflection I couldn't help but laugh because the same thing happend to me. Lol. What lens came with it? Mine came with the 127 ektar. Great little lens. I still have my graphic but don't use it anymore. Good luck with yours and stick with it. Its a great format

Well at least i don't feel so alone now :)

Your quote made me laugh!

missbegotten
23-Feb-2009, 21:21
At least you didn't ask how to open the camera.

Hopefully the infinity stops are in the upright position. If not, they flip up with a fingernail under the moving part. Turn the front standard locking lever (below the lens board-usually has a hole in the end) toward the front of the bed. Pull the front standard out to the stops and turn the lever back to the lock position. Cock the shutter on the lens. There should be a half round button on the top side of the shutter. Hold it down and trip the shutter release. The shutter opens and stays open. Move the aperture ring to wide open. Now look at the ground glass. If you don't see any daylight, move the Front-Rear lever on the lower right side of the body to Rear. Loog through the ground glass and operate the body release. You should hear and see the focal plane shutter working. Press the release until the sutter stays open. Stop there. Or, you can press the body release one more time and the shutter will close. Now turn the winding key (upper right side of body) and watch the focal plane shutter open. Piece of cake. Focus, compose, etc. Recock the lens shutter to close it before taking a picture.

Enjoy!

Thank you! I will try that!

missbegotten
23-Feb-2009, 21:23
I'd also recommend picking up a book like Steve Simmons' "Using the View Camera". I too came to LF via MF and I know that when I started out I found that book to be an invaluable guide to summarising a lot of the stuff that is LF specific (movements, lens coverage etc etc). Similarly, the info on the home page of this site is a great resource.

Dont be afraid to ask questions but be gracious about the answers you receive and you'll find a lot of people more than willing to help !

Regards

Carey Bird

P.S. There is also nothing wrong with being a bit thick-skinned and just ignoring some of the answers/comments/remarks you get.

Hi Carey

I have that book but it isn't much help with the basic things i wanted to know about my Speed Graphic.

Yes you are right. Ignore the ignorant. That's my motto now too :)

missbegotten
23-Feb-2009, 21:24
I have a copy of Steve's book. I have a Speed Graphic. There might be a paragraph in the book about press cameras. That's about it. Best thing would be if missbegotten can find a Graphic owner for a nice thorough test drive. I would and have volunteered the same for new Graphic owners when I have met them.

I'm in houston, TX if anyone has questions about Speed Graphics.

Thank you Wayne. I am on the East Coast. Which is pretty far from Houston :)

venchka
24-Feb-2009, 06:37
You're welcome. Always glad to help.

Jim Jones
24-Feb-2009, 09:45
The most comprehensive manual for the Speed Graphic is Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard D. Morgan (and Henry M. Lester in earlier editions). The first edition was published in 1940, and covers only the Anniversary and earlier models. The Eighth edition covers the early side rangefinder Pacemaker series of Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic, and Century Graphic. The 11th edition includes information on the top rangefinder models of the Pacemaker series. Unlike the 50 page camera manual IC-racer linked to, these manuals have a few hundred pages of almost everything you ever want to know about these grand old cameras. Earlier editions also had interesting articles by photographers and experts like Ansel Adams, Barbara Morgan, Bernice Abbot, Laura Gilpin, and Rudolph Kingslake. They are available from online booksellers and often on ebay.

venchka
24-Feb-2009, 09:49
We don't even know what year & model camera you have. As you can see, the Speed Graphic was made for many years and in many different flavors. If you can't post photos, can you describe the camera and lens? A serial number from the camera and the lens might help identify it as well. If the lens eas made by Kodak, we can nail down the year it was made with the serial number. Kodak numbers start with 2 letters.

eddie
24-Feb-2009, 17:01
Thank you Wayne. I am on the East Coast.

what city and state? there are many of us on the east coast. some one might be in your area. i am in NY.

it is very easy if some one could show you....it'll save you hours of reading.

good luck. and have fun.

missbegotten
24-Feb-2009, 23:02
Thank you Jim. I ordered that book from the library and hopefully i will get it soon.

missbegotten
24-Feb-2009, 23:03
I will take a few pictures of the camera and post them here, but it probably won't be until next week because i have to reformat my computer in another day or so and it always seems to take me a week to get up and running and load all my programs, files, settings and such.

missbegotten
24-Feb-2009, 23:03
I am in RI

venchka
25-Feb-2009, 10:37
I will take a few pictures of the camera and post them here, but it probably won't be until next week because i have to reformat my computer in another day or so and it always seems to take me a week to get up and running and load all my programs, files, settings and such.

You won't have to reformat the Speed Graphic for several more years. Perhaps never.

missbegotten
25-Feb-2009, 11:23
Heh. If only my computer were as simple.

I have another question. I have a 545 Polaroid sheet film holder and my guess is that Fuji is only making pack film as a Polaroid replacement. So, i suppose that using a pack film holder and Fuji pack film wouldn't work because it would be too thick to get onto the back of the Speed Graphic? I guess what i am asking is now that Polaroid went out of business, do i have any options to use instant/Fuji film with some sort of holder?

venchka
25-Feb-2009, 12:25
You are in luck! Assuming your Speed Graphic has a Graflock back, 99% do, you can use any of the following for Fuji pack film:
Polaroid 405 for 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" packs
Polaroid 550 for 4x5 packs
Similar Fuji holders

The ground glass comes off and the pack film holders attach in place of the ground glass. Really simple once you get the hang of it.

Don't dispair: The Polaroid 545 can be used for Fuji 4x5 QuickLoads and (while you can get them) Kodak 4x5 Readyloads.

missbegotten
25-Feb-2009, 13:07
You are in luck! Assuming your Speed Graphic has a Graflock back, 99% do, you can use any of the following for Fuji pack film:
Polaroid 405 for 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" packs
Polaroid 550 for 4x5 packs
Similar Fuji holders

The ground glass comes off and the pack film holders attach in place of the ground glass. Really simple once you get the hang of it.

Don't dispair: The Polaroid 545 can be used for Fuji 4x5 QuickLoads and (while you can get them) Kodak 4x5 Readyloads.

Yes, i have a Graf back. Hmmmmmm i think i might also have a 550i holder around here somewhere. Would that work?

You have to take the ground glass off the camera? Oh jeez. That is going to make me nervous about it breaking while it is out of the camera!

venchka
25-Feb-2009, 13:11
Yes, i have a Graf back. Hmmmmmm i think i might also have a 550i holder around here somewhere. Would that work?

You have to take the ground glass off the camera? Oh jeez. That is going to make me nervous about it breaking while it is out of the camera!

The whole metal frame holding the glass comes off. It's well protected. I have a soft side, padded lunch cooler thingie from Wal-Mart that I put film holders in. It has a padded external pocket that holds the ground glass frame when it's not on the camera. That part literally slides off and and on. Simple.

You really need somebody to show you this stuff. 30 minutes of watching and practicing is all it takes.