PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Commercial Ektars and Lens caps

Gene McCluney
21-Feb-2009, 16:19
What is it with Kodak and their Commercial Ektars. Firstly they used customized shutters, not "standard" Ilex shutters, so you can't interchange the Commercial Ektars into standard Ilex shutters, and

Secondly, they are "odd" lenscap sizes so commonly available push-on lenscaps aren't readily available.

I need lenscaps for 14", 12" and 10" Commercial Ektars, any suggestions?

Phil
21-Feb-2009, 16:33
Some people make them.

http://www.lungov.com/wagner/DIYLensCap.html

Robert A. Zeichner
21-Feb-2009, 17:24
I don't think that when Commercial Ektars were last offered by Kodak there was nearly the concern (or need) for shutter interchangeability that there was decades later. My 14" Commercial Ektar is threaded for standard 72 mm x 0.75 filters, so one simple solution for that lens might be a metal screw-in cap. Smaller focal lengths could be equipped with push on Series 8 filter adapters, which would accept 67 mm metal screw-in lens caps. This might not solve the rear cap situation, but it's a partial solution.

Jon Shiu
21-Feb-2009, 22:58
I use a the 72mm snap-in plastic caps for the front and back of the 14"

Jon

Mark Sampson
22-Feb-2009, 08:30
Kodak was the big dog then; they did things their way and expected everyone else to follow. Hey- it worked for a hundred years. But remember that you were expected to buy the appropriate push-on adapter, to take series filters, for the front of your lens. The threaded filters we use now came into fashion with Japanese 35mm cameras- just gaining popularity when EK stopped making Ektars, around 1966. And you weren't supposed to lose the rear cap that came with the lens- just like you wouldn't lose the beautiful ebony-wood box the lens came in. I've had to scavenge lens caps for every Ektar I've ever owned or used- can you tell?

Glenn Thoreson
22-Feb-2009, 19:19
Yup, 72mm fromt and back. Any snap in or screw in cap will fit fine. If you need lots of caps, check out the auction thingie. Tons of 'em.

John T
22-Feb-2009, 19:23
Doesn't a 75mm slip on cap fit the 14"? That is the normal size for a lens that takes a 72mm snap cap

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2009, 19:57
I've found 'em on ebay. Equinox Photographic has some used ones in big sizes---I've bought some from them (very nice people!) The hard things to find are the slip on series filter rings! I finally got one for my 10" WF but I still use Lees on the 14"er. Happy hunting, or...make your own!

MenacingTourist
26-Feb-2009, 09:08
Some people make them.

http://www.lungov.com/wagner/DIYLensCap.html

Fantastic link!
I'll be making caps for my big bras lenses all summer.