PDA

View Full Version : Before I start messing with my Arca-Swiss lens board

r.e.
21-Feb-2009, 11:52
I need a board for a Copal #3 lens that is arriving in the next few days. I'm thinking of widening the hole on a Copal #1 board that I have kicking around, seeing as how my WTB for a #3 has not resulted in an avalanche of replies.

The back of an Arca-Swiss board has a circle in the centre that is about the diameter (65mm) of a Copal #3. This circle is recessed into the back of the board by a few millimeters. Copal #0 and #1 holes are made from the centre of this circle. It would seem that when the entire circle is cut away, you have the hole for a Copal #3. If that is correct, the thickness of the board when a Copal #3 is mounted is a few millimeters more than when a #0 or #1 is mounted. Perhaps this is deliberate to give just a bit more stiffness for a #3?

So I am thinking of widening the hole of my #1 to cover the entire recessed circle, using either the services of a local machine shop or, if I can get the use of a vice, a half round mill file.

Before I do this, I want to make sure that I'm not about to ruin a perfectly good board. Is there any reason to believe that I'm on the wrong track?

Gene McCluney
21-Feb-2009, 22:41
You are not on the wrong track to consider widening a lensboard with a smaller hole into one with a bigger hole. It is done all the time.

What you absolutely NEED to to, is wait until you get the lens, and then you can be precise in the size hole you need.

It will take a very long time to "cut" the hole bigger on a metal board with a file.

jb7
22-Feb-2009, 02:54
I've cut Arca boards-
though I used a jigsaw (sabre saw?) to make the hole,
and finished by filing-

I'm not sure filing alone would be a very satisfying experience.

Try to get as close as you can with the saw;
it's a whole lot more efficient than the file-

j

aphexafx
22-Feb-2009, 02:59
If you have access to a drill press and some hole-saw bits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_saw) you can rig/clamp the lens board to a piece of hardwood and measure a center mark. Clamp this down well, start the pilot hole, and then saw a perfect hole as desired. Use cutting oil and proceed slowly.

Archphoto
22-Feb-2009, 05:44
You can use a mini powertool and a sand-head onto it.
In Holland they were selling the Dremmel look-a-likes for € 15,- a set.
It comes in handy for all kinds of jobs so you would not be buying it just for this purpose.

Peter

Paul Bujak
22-Feb-2009, 10:10
American Science and Surplus (www.sciplus.com) has a nifty Dremel-like tool for$34.95. It comes with some sanding/grinding tools, too. I use mine all the time and it performs like a champ.

Paul