PDA

View Full Version : Canon Eos Adaptor Plate to fit View Camera

more photography
19-Feb-2009, 13:01
Has any body bought or used one of these Chinese adaptors, for use on Digital SLR to view camera.

Appreciate any feedback
Ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Fits-Canon-EOS-To-Toyo-Wista-Horseman-4x5_W0QQitemZ370161436958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Camera_Accessories?hash=item370161436958&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Aender Brepsom
19-Feb-2009, 13:16
No, I haven't and I wouldn't. Just consider the tiny chip (even FF) compared to the large 4x5" film area. Due to the extension caused by the adaptor ring, using wide angle lenses is out of question. That's why I don't see any use of this device for my landscape work, where I use mainly wide angle lenses.

If I remember correctly, there have been threads about this subject in the past. You may wish to use the search function to find them.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Feb-2009, 13:45
I have a sliding version from Widepan, and it's useful in a fairly limited way. Because of the mirror box and the extension of the adapter itself, the shortest lenses that will focus to infinity, depending on the camera are around 180mm, maybe shorter with a dedicated wideangle camera. Using the shift movements of the adapter as well as the rise/fall/shift on the camera, you can make about a 3x3 or 4x4 or maybe even larger tiled image, depending on the lens and subject distance, and stitch them into an image larger than the sensor on the camera.

The limiting factor on the size of the tiled image is vignetting due to the DSLR body and the adapter tube, unlike a MF digital back, where the sensor is closer to flush with the mounting plate.

So it's kind of a handy thing for some kinds of close up, still life and copy work, less so for landscape, unless you would typically shoot landscapes with a long lens on a medium format camera.

Joanna Carter
19-Feb-2009, 13:52
Have you noticed the compatibility :

" All 4x5 Lager Format Camera "

Mine's a Gin & Tonic :rolleyes:

Marko
19-Feb-2009, 14:11
I haven't, but I would like to try it, it's on my short list of accessories to get.

It sounds like a cheap alternative to Cambo Ultima or Horseman LD. What's more interesting, I see it as a great stitching aid - most opponents of stitching complain about inability to compose the entire shot prior to capture, and this method would solve that problem, as well as the parallax.

The only two downsides I can see compared to the usual stitching method are the awkward and slow procedure and the fact that LF lenses are genraly not as sharp or fast as the 35mm ones.

Greg Lockrey
19-Feb-2009, 15:35
I have a very sophisticated version but with that being said, it is much easier just to use a panoramic head and stitch the work. Some of these stiching programs out now are so good that you can almost do this sort of thing hand held. Save your money.

Andy Eads
19-Feb-2009, 15:39
Seems to me that with a wide angle lens, at some point the lens mount will oclude the camera sensor long before you run out of coverage. Now it might be useful if you were doing close up work with a nice macro lens and didn't want to spring for a dedicated bellows.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Feb-2009, 20:07
With a modern LF lens, like a 180/5.6 Sironar-N, I've found sharpness to be pretty good on the stitched image.

With any lens long or short, indeed, the lens mount will occlude the camera sensor long before you run out of coverage, which is why you can only get about a 3x3 to 5x5 image stitch with sufficient overlap to avoid having to fiddle with it manually; whereas, with an MF digital back you might have a 16 shot mode, and such.

The attraction of this to me is that you can compose on the groundglass and use all the camera movements, and then just refocus for the DSLR, and everything else stays the same.

more photography
20-Feb-2009, 00:35
Have you noticed the compatibility :

" All 4x5 Lager Format Camera "

Mine's a Gin & Tonic :rolleyes:

Well spotted - now that is a girl who know her drink.

Dave Hally
26-Feb-2009, 12:57
My brother is using an adapter "bellows" on his Sinar P (?). It has a rear lens mount ring that fits on his Caon 5D II. He uses the Sinar rise and shift geared movements to shift the camera. I don't remember the name of the adapter, but it shouldn't be hard to find. it works well, within the limits of shading by the mirror box. I think he can get 5 full to partial images across and maybe 4 high. He has used it with a 90mm Nikkor.
Ping me if you wi=ould like me to find out more.
Dave Hally

David A. Goldfarb
9-Apr-2009, 10:38
I put my Widepan EOS/Graflok adapter on my Sinar P set up as a 4x5" with a bag bellows, and I can go as short as 135mm using a Sinar/Technika adapter board and a lens on a flat Technika board. So with a recessed Sinar lensboard, shorter should be possible, depending on mechanical factors like clearance for the rear cell of the lens.

bglick
16-Apr-2009, 21:15
I have one, it works good, as long as you respect its limitations. If you want a shot to be true, i.e. not distorted and re stitched, its effective within a small area of the back, due to vignetting. However, as mentioned pan heads and stitching software has become so good today, this product is much less useful vs. 5 years ago.

hansning
14-Sep-2009, 10:51
I was just looking at the same thing, but am thinking about it more in terms of focus/exposure preview, rather than buying polaroids. For those who have this, how practical is it to use for image preview?

Ben Syverson
17-Sep-2009, 13:11
how practical is it to use for image preview?
Well, given that you're only seeing a 35mm portion of the frame, my guess is "not very."

VictoriaPerelet
17-Sep-2009, 20:53
You can make one yourself from Canon 21mm macro tube and Sinar board (grand total of ~+-$15:)).

Quite useful for lighting setup and precise focus plane alignment - much more convenient/precise than polaroid. On cameras like Sinar P2 you can get 4x4" stitch with serious megapixels in it.

One limitation - mirror box depth limits lens coverage, for 4x4" stitched frame very limited movements even with 210mm, no way to use LF wides

pinetar
29-Sep-2009, 20:21
I have a macro tube with a homemade nylon bushing mounted to a composite board on the back of a B&J 8x10 and a toyo 2x3 or is it a 4x5.

The camera is a Canon 5d m II. I am processing a HD video from it now. I had some light leaks on the adapter that I corrected yesterday.

I was testing lenses last sunday.

I just jointed here today.

gary/ N. Ohio

Imaginara
29-Sep-2009, 20:57
I have one of these adapters on the way right now and will also be using a 5D mk2 (including video =) on it and are very interested in seeing how it all works out. So when the video is done, link us up pinetar.

Oh and welcome to the board =)

pinetar
1-Oct-2009, 17:04
I located my link from a few months ago showing a Canon 5D on an 8x10:

http://gallery.me.com/nam65#100496

pinetar
2-Oct-2009, 02:15
Video, no audio, Veritas testing on a 8x10 B&J with Canon 5DMII. I wasn't aware I had light leaks until the next day. Now fiixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmnaLF9rKE

pinetar
2-Oct-2009, 02:21
http://gallery.me.com/nam65#100496

Veritas 16" shown mounted on a B&J with Canon 5DM.

gary

PhotoTurbo
10-Oct-2009, 22:11
I have an as-new EOS to 4x5 sliding adapter I'm not using if anyone is interested, it's this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Adapter-Fits-Canon-Eos-To-Toyo-Wista-4x5_W0QQitemZ310173459849QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Accessories?hash=item4837c76589

If memory serves it has about 40mm of movement, so you can get two full frames for stitching. The only reason I'm not using it is that after I tried it I built my own rig that has a lot more movement, both vertically and horizontally. (I have a mill and do some machine work.) Of course more movement means you get into sensor shadowing, but it's still a neat little gizmo.

IanG
11-Oct-2009, 03:29
Thanks for posting the link. Unfortunately these don't fit my Wista, not (Graflok type) but gives me plenty of clues how to make a complete back.

Ian

Darryl Baird
11-Oct-2009, 16:28
Thanks for posting the link. Unfortunately these don't fit my Wista, not (Graflok type) but gives me plenty of clues how to make a complete back.

Ian

which Wista? I can put a graflok back on my SP.

IanG
11-Oct-2009, 23:49
which Wista? I can put a graflok back on my SP.

Mine's a 45DX a wooden field camera, they have a hinged back but the focus screen etc isn't Graflok but opens wide enough to take Wista RF holders.

Ian

brighamr
14-Oct-2009, 13:34
[QUOTE=VictoriaPerelet;509025]You can make one yourself from Canon 21mm macro tube and Sinar board (grand total of ~+-$15:)).

Quite useful for lighting setup and precise focus plane alignment - much more convenient/precise than polaroid. On cameras like Sinar P2 you can get 4x4" stitch with serious megapixels in it.

hi victoria

how do you do "precise focus plane adjustment"
dose the 21mm tube put the chip right on the film plane
please explain

thanks

robin