PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Bisulfite UK Source

kev curry
19-Feb-2009, 04:12
I can find Sodium Sulphate or Sulfphite or even Sodium Metabisulphite, but I cant find any Sodium Bisulfite for PMK Pyro? Is one of the above a substitute? Ive tried Silverprint and Retrophotographic's website's with no luck and I dont know any other stockists of photo chemicals, any ideas folks?

cheers
kev

Vlad Soare
19-Feb-2009, 04:26
Sorry, I don't know any other supplier in the UK besides those two, but in case you can't find any, here's one in Germany that also ships abroad:

Fototechnik Suvatlar
Simrockstr.178a
D-22589 Hamburg

Tel.040 / 39 57 09 und 040 / 39 79 31
Fax: 040 / 39 19 08 66
Mobil: 0173 / 60 11 77 2

E-Mail: fotosuvatlar@live.de

Here (http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/SuvatlarRohchemie.pdf) is a PDF with a complete list of chemicals in stock. What you're after is called "Natriumdisulfit" or "Natriumbisulfit" in German and is listed at 4.96 euros for 100g, VAT included.

I just bought some chemicals from Mr. Suvatlar. He's a pleasure to deal with.

kev curry
19-Feb-2009, 04:44
Thanks for all the details and the translation VladSoare its really very good of you.
If I cant find a UK source I'll order from Mr. Suvatlar.

Vielen Dank für die Information:)
kev

IanG
19-Feb-2009, 07:01
Sodium Bisulphite is available in the UK, but it's fairly unstable, very expensive and only sold as a high AR grade chemical.

However Sodium Metabisulphite is normally used instead, mainly only Kodak formulae use Bisulphite, Kodak's own is a mixture of Bisulphite & Metabisulphite which can vary substantially. They are interchangeable in photographic use, although Metabisulphite has slightly better preservative properties so should be used when a formula specifies it rather than Bisulphite. In solution Metabisulphite forms Bisulphite.

Boots (in the UK) sell Sodium Metabisulphite for home brewing :D

Ian

kev curry
19-Feb-2009, 08:19
Ahh... so Metabisulphite becomes Bisulphite when added to water eh, how convenient is that. Gordon Hutchins managed to omitted that little nugget from the pages;-) I received a PM from another member who corroborates your story to the letter, so watch out Metabisulphite you will soon be converted:D

Cheers

IanG
19-Feb-2009, 11:10
I used to buy Metbisulphite 100 - 400 kg at a time (in 25Kg bags) the same supplier sold Bisulphite as well, in reality it's the amount of SO2 produced when they dissolve that differs, Bisulphite is always a mixture of the two. For this reason Metabisulphite is preferred in the food industry & wineries. In the UK & EU mainly Metabisulphite is available, in the US more Bisulphite.

Ian

Pete Watkins
19-Feb-2009, 12:15
For Sodium Metabisulphite try your local home brew shop (if you have one) or look at home brewing / winemaking websites.
P

kev curry
19-Feb-2009, 12:55
Cheers Pete

Vlad Soare
20-Feb-2009, 05:20
I was just reading Steve Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook, and at page 22 he states that: "Sodium bisulfite and sodium metabisulfite are for all practical purposes identical and are often the same chemical." :)

kev curry
21-Feb-2009, 00:50
Excellent:)