PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic question

Ivan J. Eberle
18-Feb-2009, 08:30
Pardon my ignorance but do Grafmatics have a conventional darkslide? While I like Quickloads for the dust control, I'm finding that the darkslide sleeve acts like a sail whenever there's any wind at all (which is quite often, around these parts).

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 08:40
GOOGLE will show you the way to the Grafmatic instructions. There is a darkslide. It remains inside the Grafmatic holder during exposure.

Gene McCluney
18-Feb-2009, 08:53
Grafmatics won't be any better in the darkslide department, because they have a captive darkslide that is hanging out in the wind when you make an exposure.

Chauncey Walden
18-Feb-2009, 09:04
Gene, better check what Wayne said. http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

Juergen Sattler
18-Feb-2009, 09:09
No, they don't hang out during exposure - you push the darkslide back inside and once you're done with the exposure, pullit out and push it back in - that'll load the next sheet. Easy, really.

brian d
18-Feb-2009, 09:51
Have a look at this page

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulewins/resources/grafmatic.htm

Kevin Crisp
18-Feb-2009, 11:05
When you are ready to go, you cycle the darkslide out and then in. When you do that, the next sheet in order pops to the front of the holder and the darkslide slips in behind it, protecting the 5 sheets not being exposed at that time. You take the picture with the darkslide fully in. After exposure, you grasp the ring on the darkslide and this time engage the chrome tab as you do it. You pull that whole thing (let's call it the carriage, out and then push it in. The just exposed sheet of film goes to the back of the packl, and the other sheets of film and the darkslide go back in to the front of the one you just exposed. Now the next sheet to be exposed is sitting in the front of the holder behind the darkslide. It really is ingenius.

Bjorn Nilsson
18-Feb-2009, 11:07
Grafmatics won't be any better in the darkslide department, because they have a captive darkslide that is hanging out in the wind when you make an exposure.

It's a mistake to have the darkslide out when exposing, as there can be (and will be) light leaks going to the underlying sheets. This can be seen as light damage on the upper edge around the cutout in the septum.
I've learnt this the hard way. :( But the shots wasn't that important that time.

//Björn

Ivan J. Eberle
19-Feb-2009, 08:37
This is very helpful, thanks to all.

I have a Meridian 45B with a Spring back. It takes a modern Readyload holder and double sided standard holders just fine. But from old archived discussions I see that it might be necessary to modify the springs or bend up new ones in order to get the gape wide enough for a Grafmatic (which isn't a huge deal as I have a machine shop at my disposal). Can anyone tell me the Grafmatic thickness?

Gene McCluney
19-Feb-2009, 08:45
Oops, is my face red. And I have six grafmatics. I cycle the darkslide in before exposure just like I'm supposed to, I just forgot because it was late when I made the post. I have been shooting 5x7 for the last year..so I am rusty on Grafmatics.

Kevin Crisp
19-Feb-2009, 08:56
Ivan: The thing I wish I'd figured out about them sooner is that many of them don't cycle well unless held level. Don't point the camera down or a problem is much more likely. Also, the tension of the little tabs or whatever in the back of the slot that holds the film in the septum is critical. (There are different styles of septums.) If the film can just slide out of the septum a problem is more likely.

Turner Reich
19-Feb-2009, 11:10
If the holder is not level the springs that hold the septum down, which weaken over time, can allow the septum to slide and jam. You won't be able to push the slide in and will have to take the camera with holder in a darkroom or just take out the holder and blow off the exposures.

If you don't believe me try recycling though the septum's with the holders dark slide pointing down. This is the case with my 4x5 Grafmatics but not so with my 2x3. I believe the 2x3 or Grafmatic 23 holders have smaller septum's and they stay in place due to the lighter weight. They are also newer. You can gently bend the springs but do so at your own risk.

Use the slide with the dark slide either up or to the right or left.

gary mulder
19-Feb-2009, 15:36
This is very helpful, thanks to all.

I have a Meridian 45B with a Spring back. It takes a modern Readyload holder and double sided standard holders just fine. But from old archived discussions I see that it might be necessary to modify the springs or bend up new ones in order to get the gape wide enough for a Grafmatic (which isn't a huge deal as I have a machine shop at my disposal). Can anyone tell me the Grafmatic thickness?

± 22,6 mm

Turner Reich
19-Feb-2009, 17:28
Does the Meridian 45B have a Graflok back?

tim o'brien
19-Feb-2009, 18:33
The other interesting thing at least with the 2x3 Grafmatics is you can put the septiums in backwards.

They then bend and jam.

Not good.

tim in san jose

Turner Reich
19-Feb-2009, 23:01
Some times a good old film holder is the way to go. Check out the weights of different holders. Grafmatics reduce physical space to some degree but other holders weight less. One Grafmatic or three double sided film holders, you decide.

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/filmholders.htm