PDA

View Full Version : Compound shutter pneumatic timing problem

Bill_1856
17-Feb-2009, 20:34
The Compound shutter of my 360mm Tele-Xenar has stopped functioning except at the highest speed. It is a lens I seldom use, so it has not been exercised for a long time, perhaps a year,at which time it was put away working perfectly. (They are SWEET when they work, aren't they?)
Is there anything I should do to possibley get it working before sending it for professional repair?

Peter K
18-Feb-2009, 03:44
As you know the exposure time depends on the way a piston makes in a cylinder. The air will be compressed and so the cylinder will be delayed to make it's way. If this cylinder sticks inside the cylinder there is no shutter delay. the shutter opens always in the fastest speed.

You can remove the cocking lever, 3 screws, the speed dial and the 4 screws of the cover. The cylinder is fixed with two screws. If the cylinder is removed you can push the piston in the cylinder. But be carefully, don't scratch the piston, so use a toothstick to move the cylinder. Doing this you can clean the piston up to it moves in the cylinder. Don't use any oil! If the piston is oily you will get very long exposure times.

Good luck

Peter K

Bill_1856
18-Feb-2009, 06:34
Thanks, Peter.