PDA

View Full Version : Soft Focus with a Bausch & Lomb Tessar??

Jim Galli
17-Feb-2009, 10:15
This weekend I made some soft focus images (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/BandLTessar/11X14BandLTessar.html) with one of the most ignored of all lenses. Nobody cares for old B&L Tessars. Why is that?

If you like soft focus, click on the link to see what an $80 lens can do. Let me know what you think?

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/BandLTessar/11X14BandLTessar.html

frank hoerauf
17-Feb-2009, 10:32
Hello Jim that pic of the porcelain pot and flowers is awesome , I think it really prooves your point here for sure........Frank

seawolf66
17-Feb-2009, 11:47
Jim: I think bottom feeding is more fun , your not puting out so much money as a top feeder would : very nice set of fotos :

Alex Wei
17-Feb-2009, 11:55
Jim, is this one "porcelain pot and tea things" shot wide open w/o soft focus?

In any case, very well done images and good to know that you can do this with a tessar lens.

Jim Galli
17-Feb-2009, 12:22
Hello Jim that pic of the porcelain pot and flowers is awesome , I think it really prooves your point here for sure........Frank

Thanks Frank.

Jim: I think bottom feeding is more fun , your not puting out so much money as a top feeder would : very nice set of fotos :

Oh, I'm plenty guilty of "investing" in some of the stupid $$ lenses :rolleyes:

Jim, is this one "porcelain pot and tea things" shot wide open w/o soft focus?

In any case, very well done images and good to know that you can do this with a tessar lens.

Yes, all of these were shot wide open (my only choice since the aperture went to pieces) and it will probably remain in soft mode as long as I own it. Thanks.

Chauncey Walden
17-Feb-2009, 12:29
Jim, the tulips are lovely. I have a 210 Tessar that works in reverse. The center of the rear element is scarfed up, so the more you stop it down, the softer it gets. Maybe I should try your mod.

Mark Sawyer
17-Feb-2009, 19:02
Tis a lovely effect, and a lovely set of images, Jim! I must confess, I've thought of similarly chopping up my Nikkor 450-m Tessar... and now, if I ever do, I can blame it on you! :)

Mind you, it's only a matter of time til some Australian ebay seller starts modifying Tessars, engraving them as Eidoscopes, and selling them with your "recommendation"... :rolleyes:

Jim Galli
17-Feb-2009, 19:43
Tis a lovely effect, and a lovely set of images, Jim! I must confess, I've thought of similarly chopping up my Nikkor 450-m Tessar... and now, if I ever do, I can blame it on you! :)

Mind you, it's only a matter of time til some Australian ebay seller starts modifying Tessars, engraving them as Eidoscopes, and selling them with your "recommendation"... :rolleyes:

Not necessary, I'll be big and trade you for the lesser Nikkor. That's the kind of friend I am.

Don't give that guy any ideas, he may read these posts. <note to self>; do searches for trophy engraving machine on ebay so you can create rare and unusual eidoscop lenses out of old junkers.......</note>

jnantz
17-Feb-2009, 19:55
hi jim

great set of images!
i almost like my 21cm tessar
more than some of the lenses i spent $$ on.
i use it more than anything else i own ...

john

john wilton
19-Feb-2009, 23:32
Hi Jim,
My 5x7 Ic (7.5") has bad haze inside the front cell, which has resisted the usual disassembly methods. Extreme measures: drilling holes for lens spanner; naptha; wd40 have failed to budge the name ring. Too many dings. Will have to machine it out. It will be good for an experiment like yours! A practical question: what did you use as a spacer under the front element? I imagine 1/16" extra space might be a starting point. Absent the name ring a rubber O-ring might hold the front glass in place.

Jim Galli
19-Feb-2009, 23:37
Hi Jim,
My 5x7 Ic (7.5") has bad haze inside the front cell, which has resisted the usual disassembly methods. Extreme measures: drilling holes for lens spanner; naptha; wd40 have failed to budge the name ring. Too many dings. Will have to machine it out. It will be good for an experiment like yours! A practical question: what did you use as a spacer under the front element? I imagine 1/16" extra space might be a starting point. Absent the name ring a rubber O-ring might hold the front glass in place.

Sounds like you're trying to go in from the front. Mine seperated easily from the back. Now the early aluminum is a little flaky and it seems to have expanded over time so that the threads are very very tight. They squeal when re-assembling. So nothing needed in order for them to stay put.

johnschlicher
20-Feb-2009, 04:33
Hi. Jim
I have that same exact lens, It was my father's, I come from 3 generations of large format photographer's, ( so I have a lot of stuff)---Just wanted to tell you You've been in inspiration to me, your picture's and advise are awesome, I only got into large format about 3 year's ago, after my dad died, My mom wanted me to start selling his equipment on e-bay, but in that process, and going through a divorce I started playing around with his equipment, been in love with it ever since. I don't know why I'm telling you all of this, but thanks ( no need to reply )

ljsegil
20-Feb-2009, 04:36
Love your tulips. Floral envy. Many lenses to try soon (some you know well), as soon as I can crawl out from under it all. Both the Speed and the 8x10 need a little horticulture in their lives just to remain cultured. The 15cm f/3.5 CZJ Tessar that lives on the Speed is jealous and wants to see if it too can make fine art in emulation of you and your Tessar (though I know that takes more than just equipment, you bring much more talent and knowledge to the table than I can ever dream of acquiring, though I will keep trying, progress alone can be satisfying as one traverses the learning curve of photography). As always, your rendition of the light in front of your lens brings more light into the photographic lives of the rest of us (us wannabes in particular).
Thanks for more great stuff,
Larry

ghost
23-Feb-2009, 21:09
Your ability to find and capture the best qualities of a piece of glass is really impressive and inspiring.

I hope you continue to post these type of things here and on your site.

Really wonderful.