PDA

View Full Version : Process-type lenses

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
2-Dec-1997, 15:12
I'm thinking of getting a lens in the 360mm range to use for color landscape work. Bellows extension is not a problem. I've heard that some of the older f9 process-type lenses (e.g., the Red Dot Artar) might be good choices. While I've seen these lenses advertised, they tend either to be in barrel or in an older shutter which leaves me worried about reliability. Does anybody have a sense of how feasible it would be to have such a lens remounted in a modern shutter? In terms of cost vs. quality, how would this compare to buying a modern lens?

Harold Clark
17-Feb-1998, 18:18
I have 19" and 24" red dot artars for 8x10. I bought them in barrel, and had the m mounted in used copal 3 shutters which I has bought. I live in Canada, and the y cost around $200 each to have done here. I believe the aperture scale also cos t extra, since my shutters were the older type, and new scales had to be engrave d, rather than purchased. They are extremely good lenses, indistinguishable in p erformance from equivalent Nikkor or Fuji lenses. Image circle would be less, wh ich may be a factor depending on what format you use.

Harold Clark

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
18-Feb-1998, 09:34
Thanks. I'd like to learn a little more about the process of remounting a lens in a shutter. From what I've read, there's more to it than just threading the f ront and back elements in place; I understand that the job needs to be done by a technician, since it may entail making custom adaptors to ensure that the spaci ng is proper. Is this correct? Also, does the ballpark price that you mentione d cover the price of the shutter as well as the labor costs for remounting?

Jon Wilson
19-Sep-2008, 14:22
I have a 360mm Nikkor process lens which Steve Grimes installed in a betax #4 shutter. He also engraved new scales on it so it can be used as a convertible lens. 360mm and a 420mm if IRCC. I purchased off of ebay. Tim installed my 45cm artar into a copal 3 shutter. Go to the Grimes website or to Tim at LensN2shutter for another shop which can install the cells into a shutter. Both do good work.

Dan Fromm
19-Sep-2008, 15:04
Hot damn! A thread resurrected more than ten years after it seemed to have stopped!