PDA

View Full Version : Ultrawide Lens Pricing

David Cerbone
16-Feb-2009, 08:06
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering going on the prowl for an ultrawide lens, but I'd like first to be appropriately armed with information. I've done some searching around at used lens venues (dealers, auction sites, old ads here), but it's hard to come up with a good set of "comps." Here are the three lenses I'm considering (or thinking about considering, depending on the price range):

1) Schneider Super Angulon 47mm

2) Schneider Super Angulon 47mm XL

3) Rodenstock Grandagon 45mm APO

I'm just trying to get a feel for what the used market is like on these lenses, to give me a sense of what's worth going after and when to know if I've found a decent deal (let alone a real bargain).

Also, if anyone has words of wisdom about the merits or drawbacks of these lenses, I'm interested in hearing that. However, I should add that the lens will be used on a Fotoman 612, so varying possibilities of movements are not a primary concern.

Many thanks!

venchka
16-Feb-2009, 08:31
A possible additional expense: Center filter.

Bjorn Nilsson
16-Feb-2009, 10:34
Let's see, bargain prices.
SA 47 XL and the Grandagon are usually in the $1200-1500 range, so an even $800-1000 is a bargain, given being in a very nice shape. Perfect glass etc.
The older SA 47 should cost much less, as it doesn't cover 4x5" and is an older construction. It's still very useable on the Fotoman 6x12 and will probably give you equally good results at f/16 or so. A SA 47/5.6 which looks decent recently sold for £89 (~ $130) on the uk *bay site. (Hmm, that Fotoman camera sounds like good fun...)

//Björn

Mark Woods
16-Feb-2009, 12:07
I just sold an older 47mm Super Angulon on eBay for $257 mounted on a recessed Sinar board.

Bjorn Nilsson
16-Feb-2009, 13:38
Oh, I kind of forgot... The Grandagon 45mm doesn't really cover 4x5". Also they are very rare on the used market. Over a couple of years I've only seen a couple on the european (read "german") *bay and then usually at a too high buy-it-now price. I'm pretty sure it's excellent glass though, so that's not the problem.
To conclude, if you want coverage and superb glass, the SA 47 XL is probably the way to go. They are at least available on the used market.
If you want to spend under $500, the older SA 47 is your only choice. (But for your Fotoman still a very good lens.)

The big question is still: Is the more modern glass better. Well, yes, but I doubt anyone can tell which lens you used when looking at your finished prints. There are so many other factors involved including your own skill and excellence.

//Björn

David Cerbone
16-Feb-2009, 13:53
Thanks for all the input so far!

A point of clarification may be helpful though with respect to Lens # 1: the non-XL Super Angulon 47mm has to be the f5.6 version, not the f8 model. (Bjorn specified the 47/5.6, but I don't know if that's the case for Mark.)